Book 3: Chapter 1 - Strait to It

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:04 pm

"As you know the Dragon Marked Houses have headquarters, businesses, and relations in every country on Kohorvaire, and Xen'drik too. No Taris, they have nothing particular against members of Thrane or worshipers of the Silver Flame."

She considers, "I think you may have the right of it, you are all new, and mostly unknown among the Grey Company. I shall work with one of our contacts to book you passage on the next air ship heading from Stormreach to Sharn. I will do so without any entanglements with the Tower. That means you are best to keep silent about your affiliations with us, even if they might provide you some advantage I can not foresee."

She looks at all of you, "So you have the Shards, the Iuon Stones that go with them, and some idea of where you are heading and how you are getting there. I need not tell you that this mission is important, and delicate, there are many many people who would murder you for even one of the Shards, let alone so many and so much information on them. Do your best to keep your mission a secret, trust few, but most of all don't go getting yourselves killed. I couldn't stand to think I sent any of you to your death. Three of you only, if you have friends or trusted allies, see about finding yourselves a forth, or don't be shy on hiring out someone who knows the streets of Sharn or can fill the gap in your skills once in the City of Towers."

She considers, "Do you have any other questions for me?" She looks at Zeevan, "Other than about this predicament you are in." She waves her hand over Zeevan's body suggesting she means his sex change.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:24 am

Taris nods along in the affirmative. She looks around at the four of them. Apart from the druid in the room, she feels very much like she's in a small team of Grey Maidens, minus the uniforms. Not much "man" on the manpower side of things in this room, she thinks, grinning to herself. Who knows, maybe it was time she talked to some guys. She certainly felt like doing so, but maybe not in a foreign city on an important mission.

She picks up the Shard of Greed and pockets it securely.

"No ma'am. I'd better pick some up some potions before I go."
I'm going to take the Shard of Greed and unless both of you insist, I won't take more than one shard while there's one for each of us.

Before we actually pass the point of no return, I'm going to spend some money on some big healing potions for Taris.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:13 am

"I have no questions, though I do wonder how taking a tiger along will complicate things," Ceridwen says softly. "Summer Blossom is well behaved, but others less so."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:47 am

Zeevan shrugs. "I've kind of gotten used to it, to be honest. Had to resize my armor, but it's not that big of a problem. Maybe after all this is over I'll consider going back to normal. But looking like a Rune Lord might come in handy again. If any of the others have actually come back, then who knows? Even if I can't keep up the charade long-term, it might still get us a temporary advantage."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:31 pm

Taris' mind drifts over the Shards and their influence on people, and starts at a mental reminder. "Wait a minute. Shouldn't we have an Ioun stone ready for the next Shard?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Katrina nods, "My goodness I nearly forgot about that Taris!" She goes into her deck and retrieves a small wooden box. Setting it on the table she opens it and inside the velvet lined case is a small pink rhomboid stone. "This Ioun Stone should counter the effects of the Shard of Gluttony, assuming that is the next one in the cycle. "One of our agents on a previous venture uncovered a different valuable Ioun Stone in Sharn. It is no wonder that city is home to another of the Shards." She hands the stone over.
Pink Rhomboid (Ioun Stone)
Aura strong varied; CL 12th; Slot —; Price 8,000 gp; Weight —

DESCRIPTION

This stone grants the wearer a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution.

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Feats Craft Wondrous Item; Special creator must be 12th level; Cost 4,000 gp.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:51 am

"Perfect." Taris takes the pink rhomboid stone. "I was just about to ask if we could predict a pattern."
After a short "no you" discussion in the Chatter thread, Shard-get is decided as: Taris takes Lust, Ceridwen takes Pride & Greed.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:26 pm

Zeevan is smiling, happy that things are moving along. She is eager to get started on the next quest for the Shards. Even after all the drama and loss in the Lady's Light, the struggle is for a good cause. Who knows that trouble those demons could have caused with the Shard of Lust given enough time. Now that's over. She doesn't know what terrors might be in this foreign floating city, but if that Shard is causing similar corruption then their presence is needed to save that land as well.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

House Lyrandar Air Ship

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Okay I've added or double checked the Shards / Stones on the sheets
Its settled.

It takes nearly a week for an Air Ship to be come available that is sailing to Sharn from Storm Reach, and your tickets are purchased through back channels to disconnect you from the Grey Company and any of the ill feelings the House Lyrandar might have toward the House Orien led Grey Company.

You have had a chance to finalize all your plans, shopping, training, and personal quests. Zeevan spends some time with Katrina during one of the days waiting; about his recent sex change (See PM).

So you day comes, its time, your ship arrived last night from Sharn loaded with passengers and cargo, and it spends half a day restocking before its ready to accept passengers for the return trip to Sharn.

Moored atop the House Lyrandar Tower is one of their elementally powered air ships.

ManWithDoor

House Lyrandar Air Ship

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:16 am

Zeevan just looks up in awe at the elemental Air Ship. Seeing them in vision, or from afar, is one thing. Having one hovering right above him where he can pick out details is simply mind-blowing. He gets whatever high vantage point he can get (without being booted out), to see it as close as he can. Sure he'll be aboard soon enough, but his curiosity and wonder is too strong to simply wait it out.