Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

The all-powerful Runelords, near-immortal wizards who ruled Varisia in ancient days, stir to terrible life once more, surging across the frontier with plans to reignite their time-lost empire!
Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Re: Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

Post by Graven » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:23 pm

The wizard stands off to the side, watching. Mostly, he's watching for any of the gangs, ruffians, or other unwelcome visitors. His companions appear to have the child well in hand.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:37 am

His skittishness lessens as Myri talks to him. First of all he's a young man just hitting puberty, and she's richly dressed and easy on the eyes. It's likely that nobody looking like her has even paid attention to him, especially in a positive manner. And the offer of gold certainly widens his eyes. His neighbors are caring and generous, but still he's semi-homeless by choice, avoiding his drunk father. Having actual coin is a level of freedom that is foreign to him.

He moves forward a couple steps, trying out a small smile. "Yes, I'm Kynae. Pleased to meet you, Lady." He jerks a quick attempt at a bow. "Don't know what I can do for a noble, but I can try."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:30 am

"That's a good lad," Myri says softly. "My name is Myri, and these are my companions Rusilka, Sarius, Cintria, and Amalek. We've been asked to investigate some events that have happened here recently. I know it's probably not something you want to think about, but we must know the truth to find out who is responsible and make sure it doesn't happen again. Now then, what can you tell me about the murders that happened here recently?"

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:25 am

The wizard nods when he's mentioned, he stands off to the side quietly watching. He keeps his hands where the boy can see them, some people get nervous when they can't see the hands of a spellcaster.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:21 am

Kynae's eyes go wide as Amalek is introduced, his jaw dropping at being introduced to a dragon. But he jerks his eyes back to Myri, and stammers out his tale.

He claims he was out late that night to get some night fishing done. Those with actual fishing experience find that claim, well, fishy. But given his semi-homeless situation, he was probably trying to find a place to sleep through the night without being rousted by a surly dockworker or other unfriendly folk. Not everyone is as nice as Blackberry or Ladia. Regardless, he says he just happened to be there, hiding behind a rain barrel as he watched two groups of people arguing. He recognized them as members of the Horned Fangs and the Order of Resplendence, as they are common knowledge to the locals, but it was too dark and foggy to recognize individuals.

One of the Order people, a woman, was accusing the Horned Fangs that, "You are 'properating a runelord's rune'", or something like that, and she seemed enraged by it. The Horned Fang said something 'naughty' back to the woman, and she sputtered and then, all of a sudden, things went all weird. Kynae thinks the woman drew a rapier, although it looked broken to the child - there was no blade that he could see, just a basket hilt. But as the woman jabbed it toward the Horned Fang, suddenly his throat opened up and blood went everywhere. But that wasn't the worst part, Kynae claims, his eyes big. "Things came out of the fog. Ghosts. Monsters. Worse! They all started swirling through the air, and one after another the Horned Fangs just dropped dead! When I saw one of the ghosts turn my way, when I thought that maybe it looked a bit too much like my old man, well, I took off. Please don't tell him!" he adds nervously.

That's all he really knows. He ran far away and hid all through the next day, too scared to tell anyone or to go home. He eventually confided a little in Ladia, which is why she knew to point you his way.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:52 pm

Sarius listens intently, "You were smart to run, it seems like at least one group is in over their head." He barely can contain his interest "Can you tell us any more about the Horned Fangs? How were they dressed? What weapons did they carry? Did you hear any more about the rune?" If allowed, it's quite likely he'll grill the child until he has the tiniest detail about the supposed rune.
not really expecting more information, though it'd be awesome
interesting that someone had an apparently magical weapon and it didn't help
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:56 am

Rusilka takes notice of the way folks talk about Kynae's father, including Kynae himself. Burping once, while Sarius badgers Kynae, she looks him over again. between Sarius' questions and the boy's answers (or lack thereof), she cuts over them both and asks with obvious concern, "Kynae, have ye no kin tae dress ye an' fend off yer father, lad?"

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:54 pm

The boy gives Sarius a run-down of the Horned Fangs. Basically normal townie clothes, but with that Rune that so upset the people of the Order. He hasn't heard about any such runes in any other context, this is the first he has been exposed to that idea. He has seen the symbol on the clothing of this gang, but hadn't known it had any meaning outside of just an arbitrary choice of a group sign.

When Rusilka brings up his family, he shies away. "No, just my dad." Not a topic he seems happy to speak about.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:25 am

The axewoman snorts casually, and pivots from talk of family. "If ya like, Ah can tell ye the basics on how t' defend yerself. If there's time, I wouldnae mind showin' ye later how t' throw a proper punch."

She waits on Kynae expectantly.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:44 am

Sarius glares at Rusilka before realizing he's been harassing the child for very little gain. "Thank you, Kynae, you've been quite helpful." He then steps back, a little sheepish.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale