Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Post by Muskrat » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:46 pm

Shiloh looks at Quill quizzically. "Well, that's an interesting idea. There is the question of whether Kettlesteam would agree to come along and whether Misters Witch and Light would want to meet with him. Do you want to make the inquiries?"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:17 am

Burly scratches his head, setting the jack-o-lantern hat askew. "Kettlesteam? The kenku? He works here as a Witchlight Hand, so he can meet with them whenever. I didn't see him perform or anything, but maybe I missed it." He shrugs, and starts walking back to the staff area. "If he's important for your meeting, just bring him along I guess. Light and Witch will be confused as they only asked to meet you to congratulate you on the performance, but that's their problem. I'm only doing my job calling you over."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:29 pm

Shiloh looks at the (presumably) non-drunk Jack to see what he thinks of inviting Kettlesteam. She's skeptical it's a good idea but is open to persuasion.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:56 am

Kettlesteam tags along in case the group decides to pull him into the conversation. As they approach the staff area, there is a solid wall of thorns between them and Witch and Light. Walking up to it, Burly casually waves his hand and the wall of thorns open up to allow all of you through. Once the kenku in the rear passes through, the thorns automatically close back up.

The bugbear leads you to a circle of wagons. Leaning against a particularly ostentatious wagon is an aging clown with a painted grin. Jack recognizes him as Thaco, but as the man is rather unfriendly and standoffish, he doesn't know him well. Thaco puffs on a bubble pipe and glares at you as the bugbear, ignoring the clown, opens the wagon's door and ushers you inside.

Inside the wagon, a flamboyant elf grins from ear to ear as he welcomes you into the wagon with a theatrical bow. "Please come in, it's a delight to meet you all! I am Mister Light, and this is my associate, Mister Witch." He gestures to a stocky elf lounging on a bunk. Mister Witch nods to you and doffs his top hat.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:02 pm

Shiloh feels anger welling up in her as she meets the leaders of the Witchlight Carnival, the people responsible for the loss of her memories of her home. She grits her teeth and tries to reign in the anger, knowing that just bursting out in anger at them is likely to do her little good. Instead, she says, "Hi, I'm ... uh, could you answer a question for me. I was admitted as long as whenever someone says my name, I sing and dance. Does that include when I say my own name?"

"In any case, we've gotten to the bottom of some of the troubles you've been having here. But it raises larger issues we're worried about." She gestures at Kettlesteam. "He's been behind some of the unpleasant pranks here--he's agreed to undo them and apologize. But, though he was going about things the wrong way, he had a good reason. His patron, Zybilna the Archfey, has disappeared and he thinks you might know something about it, traveling in the Feywild as he does. Do you know anything?" She leaves out the part about Mister Witch and Light being forced into a pact for now, seeing where this line of inquiry gets them.
Persuasion 5

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:24 am

Quill crosses her arms and takes a step closer. The watch is so close, but the Ringmasters' attention is squarely on them now, and the gnome couldn't steal from a cookie jar without getting her hand stuck. "I'll say my real name, since you probably know it anyhow: Vemsy Tillywinks. I go by 'Quill' so that folk will take me serious. So what's more, is that some nasty thing in a mirror tried to disappear a young lad in the Cave attraction. It could be related somehow."
Assist to Shiloh.

Logic:
1. Zybilna's domain is mirrors, and a prism can be created using a mirror.
2. ???
3. Profit

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:40 am

Jack, who has taken off his hat and kept his ears tucked down in deference to Mr. Witch and Mr. Light, chimes in. "It's true, sirs. There was a girl in a pig mask who seemed to be making some sort of fey deal. She disappeared as we approached, but I don't think her presence here is benevolent." The Harengon waits for his bosses' reply.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:28 am

Mister Light gestures toward his scepter, the Witchlight vane, the aura given off being a bright blue. "This picks up the nuance of emotion in the carnival. Clearly, today it is a positive one, which you all have been contributing to." He doesn't explain how he knows that fact. "So either you are subtle infiltrators, or your altruism is genuine."

He looks at Kettlesteam with narrowed, hostile eyes. "This one is disgruntled and a troublemaker, not worth their salt." He stops and looks back at Mister Witch, pausing a long time. Perhaps telepathy? After a minute he turns back to Shiloh. "Oh, yes. The games. Consider them suspended while we meet here if you wish, but once outside you must abide by all agreements freely made. And no, the wording is always another saying your name, not introducing yourself."

Mister Witch listens to the various issues presented, his flamboyant grin long gone. "Zybilna is known to us as well. The Archfey lives in the Feywild domain of Prismeer. They are our patron as well, allowing us free passage through the Feywild in our journeys. They have been unusually silent as of late, but the fey are fickle, so the lack of communication could be a sign of disaster, or a sign of absolutely nothing at all."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:31 pm

Shiloh says, "Well, in that case, I will introduce myself--Shiloh Briarroam." She pauses, then decides to be forthright. "I've actually attended the carnival once before, many years ago. As a child. Who snuck in without paying. I admit that was not right, but I feel like taking all memories of my home from me as payment instead was ... excessive, especially when dealing with a child. Since you seem to have determined that I mean neither you or the carnival any harm, could you tell me why you do things that way? What justifies that sort of price? And is there anything I can do to get those memories back?"
Persuasion 5

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:03 am

Witch and Light look closer at Shiloh. "Yes ... I think I dimly remember you visiting as a child." They both look sad at the thought. "Good for our consciousnesses, but unfortunate for your needs, we are not responsible for those losses. Forces are at work on the other side that are entirely beyond our control." Mister Witch only says, "The wheel of time turns ever on ... what's lost is lost, what's gone is gone."