TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years ago, an alliance of Elves, Men, and Dwarves defeated a horde of Orcs and Wild Wolves, under a sky darkened by Giant Bats, inaugurating a new era of prosperity for the Free Peoples. But two decades is a long time for peace to last, and in many dark corners of the earth a shadow is lengthening once again.

Rumours of strange things happening outside the borders of civilised lands are spreading with increasing regularity and, while they are dismissed by most as fireside-tales and children’s stories, they sometimes reach the ears of individuals who recognise the sinister truth they hide.

These are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers and, when they prevail, they hail them as heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

Post by Wbweather » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:24 am

“Well sirs, nothing specific, but I do want to hear what the greater world is like. You see, I want to travel. It’s not in the nature of my kin to leave Breeland. Day after day we watch people pass through going east and west, north and south. I for one want to see what lies beyond Bree, Archet and Combe. So I have made up my mind to see if I might find a group of travelers willing to take me on for a bit. I’m a Jack of all trades, I can hunt and strong. I can earn my keep. If there is anything you need in Bree, I probably can help you acquire it. Not to impose, but you aren’t looking for a fellow traveler are you? Or do you know someone who might be?”

He looked at them questioningly, hoping he was not making a fool of himself.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:14 am

"Greetings, friend," Ragnarr says to the man. "Please, take a seat. We were just having some breakfast. By any chance, were you on the Greenway a week and a half ago? I was guarding a caravan returning from Tharbad. I believe you may have been the one who warned us of bandits." The Barding takes a bite from one of the buttered corn cakes. "I noticed you are not the only warden enjoying the inn's hospitality. Is there a cause for concern near the town?"

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:54 pm

The other stout fellow appraises Hugh from his low chair. "We do not. As he said, we arrived in Bree at dusk, and we've only met folks whose appetite for adventure went no further than the bottom of their glasses, sir, if you understand me. Fargrim Cragfury of the Blue Mountains, friend of Vali, at your service. The Men of Bree are a good lot. You do seem able-bodied, and one never knows what danger lies in wait along the road. We plan to extend our stay for the rest of the celebrations and feasting. Long enough to know you better, I should think. If Vidar and I are in agreement."

He looks at the young lord for a reply.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:47 pm

The dunedain relaxes, sitting down to join the two friends for conversation. Getting seconds can wait, it's not like he's starving. "Aye, that was me. Those bandit bands have been especially stubborn, like weeds. Tear out one stalk, and another grows in its place." He shakes his head in disgust. "As for the other wardens, we're a very decentralized group, so I don't know what their purpose here is. I'm curious as to what they're up to, but I don't see any cause for concern. They'd speak up if we needed to evacuate or something."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:08 pm

Vidar looks over Hugh. "I'm willing to join my group. But I do want to make sure you know what you're getting into. Travel through Eriador and Wilderland is ... risky. Most places are unsettled so it's a lot of camping in the wilderness. And both common bandits and orcs and other servants of the Enemy are about. Which often means a fight, with wounded and dead. You may see things you'd rather have not seen, experience things you'd rather not have experienced. If you're still willing though, I can take you on as a general helper."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:31 am

"Well Sir, that's a fair offer. Perhaps it may be a bit more than what I am hoping for, but danger can befall a man working his farm as well. I need to do this, if you can understand that. I want to see the wider world, dangers and all. I thank you for giving me the opportunity.." Hugh smiled broadly. This had gone easier than he had ever imagined it would.

"Now Sirs, is there anything I can do for you here in Bree, being as I know just about everyone and most everything in this town?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:56 pm

Vidar says to Hugh, "Well, we have a number of wares to trade. Everything from everyday tools to toys for children to fine jewelry, some of the last of which is of my own making. We already have a number of regular customers in Bree, but if you can help us expand who we trade with, that would be most welcome. And, as the heir of one of the noble houses of the Blue Mountains, I would be glad of meeting more of Breeland's notables. My family wants to build as many connections in Eriador as we can." In truth, it was Vidar that was the primary advocate of this, but he had his father Vali's support.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:45 am

As the morning progresses with more food and drink being brought out by the Pony’s serving lads and lasses, folk pass in and out of it’s doors, with newcomers from the surrounding villages, more hobbits from the Shire and at one point you’re sure that Bilbo Baggins himself is at the bar ordering an ale, though the crowd around him makes it difficult to be absolutely sure.

Around noon Barnabas Butterbur stands on a chair by the bar, banging a copper pan with a big wooden spoon. After a moment the last murmurs of conversation die down and the old hobbit clears his throat before speaking to the patrons in the taproom.

“Lady-folk and gentle-beings, I thank you for your patronage on this fine Midsummer’s Eve!” He begins dramatically, waving the wooden spoon around.

“It is my great pleasure to tell you all that the festival is now open! So, if you please, finish up your breakfasts and head outside to the Green, where among other fine treats you can purchase a flagon of Barnabas’ Best for a modest sum.” Barnabas proclaims. “My servers will tidy up here and I promise that I will be open again for business come dusk this evening.”

“For now, please enjoy all that the great festival has to offer, including, I might add, the legendary great Summer Smoke Ring Festival. Our champion the young Adelard Took of course will be competing." At the mention of the current champion, Barnabas points with his wooden spoon at a young looking hobbit standing among a group of other hobbits.

"Does anyone here feel they can challenge him? Well, add your name to the list of entrants outside and make sure you are at on the Green when they announce the start of the contest!” With that he bangs the spoon against the ban thrice and starts to usher everyone outside.

The servers begin clearing away empty tankards and plates, bringing out brushes and sweeping up rubbish from under tables. Folks file out in their groups, some reluctantly leaving their tables, stuffing food in their mouths (and pockets) as they go.

Outside the weather is fine, with only a scattering of fluffy white clouds in the sky and the warm sun beating down on the wide strip of grass, known as the Green, in front of the inn. Stalls are now manned by brewers, bakers, artisans and entertainers.

As they make their way out, Targon is approached by the solemn looking woman, who introduces herself as Gilraen, a ranger of the north. That she is a ranger is not such a surprise, but it is known that Gilraen is a woman of noble lineage, even among the rangers. Her presence here is likely no coincidence. She nods to Targon, before speaking softly. “Targon, if you have time this evening, I would speak with you of matters of import.” She leaves it at this and returns to the company of rangers she was sat with.

There are all manner of stalls, with food, drink, crafts, minstrels etc. Feel free to RP a little more, while I cue up the Smoke ring competition.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:56 pm

Fargrim inhales the outside air deeply and squints around as the sun warms his face. He turns to Vidar. "Well lad, if you'd like to go and hit the stalls now, I'll add my name to the contest and catch up with you. I can add your names also, if you wish. Both of you can be sure to offer my trade as a craftsman to hook a deal. And Hugh, we are also looking to return to our kin with some of the spices natural in these parts and the Shire. Perhaps even some recipes to make it go far."
Fargrim is up for a friendly smoking contest.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:34 pm

Hugh smiles. “Go ahead and add my name to the list. I can handle a pipe pretty well myself. As for our business, I know a few merchants in town that would love to sell some items made with fine dwarven craftsmanship. They should be able to get you any spices and local goods that you want as well, even some of the good pipeweed from the Shire. I’ll go see what deals I can arrange. “