Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:17 am

Dexter acknowledged the introduction of Sparrow's apprentice with a respectful nod, his mind quickly formulating a multitude of theories as to what kind of abilities this "Geyser" might possess. Something water-based, probably. he mused, the briny smell of surf from earlier still fresh in his memory.

For his part, the half-romani seemed surprisingly unperturbed by this shift in what he had been initially led to believe to be a purely legal proceeding. In his mind he chose to treat this as a learning experience, a glimpse into the inner workings of the Council not commonly afforded to an outlier such as himself. Some reports held only a modicum of interest to Dexter, whereas others, namely those supplied by Sparrow and Dr. Electrik on matters pertaining to sorties against the Technocracy and tracking down the whereabouts of the Snow Woman respectively were of especial interest.

The sudden appearance of Jade Dragon came as something of a shock to Dexter, who had somehow neither anticipated or detected her presence up until now. It made sense of course when he thought about it, as she was a senior member in their organization and, given the nature of their evidence, a prime suspect in this trial. Before he could speculate any further however, the reports had been concluded and the Trial had resumed, this time with the Praetor herself, Yacatecuhtli, called forth to present her argument before the Court.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

RorytheRomulan
Level 10
Level 10

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:58 am

Geyser nods in deference to Ulrich, realizing who he's addressing. "Yes, Father. I want to think I would have done the same."

More dolphin tittering from Geyser's avatar, when the others, closer in age, barely respond. /You're killing it today, tiger./
I'll kill *you*, buddy.
It laughs again.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:16 am

Yacatecuhtli walks with dignified intensity, her eyes now smoldering rather than their blazing intensity the last time you viewed her. She moves to the base of the dais, and turns to the crowd. With the Primus of the Council standing above and behind her, it creates the visual association that she is backed by the most powerful man in the city. "This evening at the Belmont Manor, a physical assault was perpetrated by Hash of the Virtual Adepts, leader of the Unifiers." Unlike most everyone who has said the cabal's name previously, hers is not full of contempt. Whether or not she is simply being fully professional or she does not carry the prejudices of her peers, is unknown. "All in the Manor were invited by myself under the Laws of Hospitality. With no provocation, he violently laid hands on Yossarian of the Order of Hermes in the eyes of many witnesses." A flash of her previous anger makes its way into her visage, but she keeps it under control. No fire falcon manifesting on her arm this time. "Cool heads and Seconds intervened as they should, and the challenge of Certámen was delayed to be heard before the full Council."

Master Robertson nods in acknowledgment, then gestures to Hash. "The accusation is made. No life was taken nor truly threatened, but violations of the Law are serious, young man. How do you plead before your peers?"

Hash is white as pure snow, his eyes dazed and hands shaking but he manages to stand straight and speak clearly. "Honored Master, I was provoked into the actions by direct and indirect methods by Apprentice Yossarian. I acknowledge my wrong-doing and will accept whatever judgment my equals and yourself deem to be wise and fair. I ... I only ask that you consider the extenuating circumstances." There are quiet whispers from the other tables. All in your group notice everyone keeping their gazes upon Hash, but Dexter can tell that a number of them look upon him with pity and compassion rather than contempt. A noticeable number are also nodding with respect, the appearance of dignity and acceptance of responsibility raising their opinion of the pariah.

Master Robertson waves them both to opposite sides of the low stage, waiting patiently for the whispering to die down on its own. "Well said, Unifier." Rather than his presentation voice, it is said gently and kindly. Returning to his formal tone, he continues. "A counter claim of instigation has been put forth by the accused. The Laws bind us, but blind obedience can be used against the lawful. Abuse of the Laws to get gain must not be tolerated, and if true would lead to punishment more severe than the violation of the Law itself." His piercing gaze sweeps the room, yet each of you feel those eyes personally boring into your heart as though you were the only person present, reminding you of all your wrongdoings.

"Let the instigator be questioned. Step forth ... Jade Dragon!" A half-second of pure silence fills the room before everyone's mind can grapple with this surprise. The woman reels back, then rebounds and starts forward with an indignant air. Before she can formulate a response, the Primus continues. "An investigation by agents of the Council has found evidence that you manipulated Yossarian into believing that Hash was a danger to us all, and must be exiled or slain. You also used mental manipulation to erase the memories of those who might have suspected, specifically Kenneth Wells of the Dreamspeakers. Young magi are vulnerable to such violations, which you are well aware! For that alone I would have your avatar Branded, but your crimes are much worse than that." He leaves unsaid what greater punishments might be meted out.

The silence in the room is thunderous. Even Jade Dragon has frozen in place, at a loss for words.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:26 pm

Pxiels fidgets as she listens to everything, unable to contain her nervousness. Now an additional uncomfortable thought occurs to her. She starts to lean towards Dexter to whisper to him, but then thinks better of it, fearing she might be overheard. She then starts to reach for her cell phone and again thinks better of it, fearing she would look rude. So she keeps the thought to herself for the moment: What if Jade Dragon decides she wants revenge on those who exposed her?