Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 101
User Class: Rigger

The Great Wave: Impact

Post by Graven » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:32 pm

"That is good to hear, Kyousuke-san, I will save what help I can provide for those with greater need." He stops again, his robes weighing him down and tiring him. "Have you seen Kishiko-san? I cannot seem to find her," there is an edge of worry to the shugenja's voice.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8046
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

The Great Wave: Impact

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:52 pm

"Apologies, but I have not. I think ... we may be the only people left alive in the whole village." He leans heavily against a broken beam, almost collapsing under the weight of the fear. Not for his own survival, but for his family and the Crane. And the dread of having his mother torn from him so senselessly, with him left to just keep on living. A slim sliver of hope is still in there somewhere, but it is fading with each passing moment.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1159
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Great Wave: Impact

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 am

Sasori wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:32 am
Hearing the voice of the ronin coming closer to help the Crane Samurai, she feels relieved. Partly because she is not sure if she can help Takashi and partly because she was worried about him.

Kanko-Cho starts wonder why she would worry about the well being of a ronin she barely knows.But not for long, since this is neither the time nor the place to do so.

She greets Gensai with a nod, as he approaches them. The young shugenja tries to engage the Doji in a conversation to help him focus his mind on something and control his feelings. She kindly asks him about being wounded or feeling pain somewhere and such things, trying to learn if he is in need of immediate medical attention. After all, next to being an artist, Kanko-Cho is able to help others when hurt or sick. And with this much water all about, it should be no problem to ask the kami for help, if it were necessary.

Diverting his attention between Takashi, Ryoko, and Kanko-Cho, Gensai grimly sizes up the latter's heavily injured frame while she attempts to assess the current state of Takashi and offers words of encouragement in the face of his current plight. Jaw clenched, the rōnin shakes his head. “You are grievously injured, Asahina-sama.” he asserts plainly with grave intonation.

Looking away, Gensai regards the scene of oceanic devastation laid out before them, spying several drowned bodies floating almost serenely amid the flotsam and jetsam of the town as they gently bob along with the rushing current of the Tsunami. Again he turns to fix Kanko-Cho with a stoic look, dark eyes staring unflinchingly into emerald and sapphire ones. “Your compassion is commendable, Asahina-sama, but consider this. These people… they have died horribly. An unclean death. Their souls will need guidance when this is over.” The words are spoken loudly enough over the waves and Takashi’s cries for both Kanko-Cho and Ryoko to hear. “Until we can confirm that there are others that have managed to survive, we must entertain the possibility that you may be the only shugenja left in Kōnotori Mura. If this proves to be true, then only you will be able to perform the rites necessary for ensuring passage to Meido for all those that have perished here."

Having delivered his pragmatic advisement to the young priestess, Gensai returns his attention fully once more to their ongoing attempt to rescue Takashi.

Just to clarify in case the implication behind what Gensai's saying isn't clear, the suggestion that he's trying to convey to Kanko-Cho is that perhaps she should try and heal herself first and foremost before attempting to assist anyone else.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

User avatar
Sasori
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 28

Re: The Great Wave: Impact

Post by Sasori » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 am

The Shugenja is blushing when Gensai stares into her eyes, trying to avert hers.
"Gensai-san", she says, her voice starting to tremble, "until I see the dead bodies of my mentor and Iuchi Jun-san, I will think of them as alive." To some it may appear that the thought of the both of them lost, may break the young woman.
"Also, my wounds are not as bad as his. No deep cuts or broken bones, just bruises and scratches", continues Kanko-Cho, trying to reassure the ronin with a slight smile. Or is she trying to calm herself down?

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 65962
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Great Wave: Impact

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:14 pm

So much... the waters are up to you arm pits, even on the second floor of the inn. Wading is more like treading water and swimming than it is walking.

Trapped on the first floor, in a small pocket of air near the ceiling, Shonogen thinks of his Grandfather, who is most likely dead if he was in the Crane Garden. He thinks too of his blade, it must be recovered, and so he dives into the murky depth of the Inn's common room, its lightness and dark, water currents race through the open windows and door ways dancing this way and that way.

He manages to dive down and hold his breath, his bare feet kick off the wall and he swings down through the swirling torrent. He is struck by floating tables, a keg of something, and avoids a jelly fish like table cloth come to attack him. He reaches out, a barely visible glint in the dark waters, and his hand wraps firmly around the handle of his ancestral blade!
Athletics: Rolled: 2K2
9, 8
Totaling: 17
Adding 0 = 17 TN 15 Success

Perception: Rolled: 2K2
22, 9
Totaling: 31
Adding 0 = 31


BOOM FATED!
Kirino is pinned against the wall, bleeding, head down, and Ryoko and Gensai both fail to inspect the man, or check him further. So as they wade away through the pushing torrent of water Ryoko thinks maybe, just maybe she hears something..... a barely audible whisper through the rush of sound from the tusami's waters. "...help me..." Kirino's arm reaches out just as his body is swallowed up by the rising water levels!
I never said he was dead :)
Kanko-Cho spots the young Takashi, grabbing a wooden shelf and pushing toward him. Gensai is not far behind, the three, shoulder deep in water hear the noise first. Its like a snapping tree... then a breaking tree. The force and continued current and pressure of the water rolling inland finally shatters the back wall of the Inn. All three are swept out into open space as half the roof of the Inn collapses down on itself as the back wall is blown out.

Its like a waterslide, or a wind tunnel, woosh out the back out into the town square some 16 feet above the ground, and down goes Kanko-Cho, she's not as athletic as some, and the board she's using to float on slips from her grip and she's tangled in her kimono and is sinking! Gensai and Takeshi manages the first few moments of the current and keep their head above water as the silver light on Onnotangu shines down on the trio.
Athletics:

Kanko-Cho Rolled: 2K2 (+5 Floating Device)
7, 1
Totaling: 8
Adding 0 = 8 + 5 = 13 = Fail

Gensai
Rolled: 4K3
13, 9, 6, 3
Totaling: 28
Adding 0 = 28 Success

Takeshi Rolled: 3K2 + 5 Floating Device
7, 7, 3
Totaling: 14
Adding 0 = 14 + 5 = 19 = Success
Jun and Kysousuke have found one another on the far side of the inn. They climb up on a desk and are half way in the water worried if there are others. They have little hope of helping from here, and as they comfort one another they hear the cracking of the roof and the wall at the back side and must act.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9565
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Great Wave: Impact

Post by Muskrat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:13 pm

Kirino is pinned against the wall, bleeding, head down, and Ryoko and Gensai both fail to inspect the man, or check him further. So as they wade away through the pushing torrent of water Ryoko thinks maybe, just maybe she hears something..... a barely audible whisper through the rush of sound from the tusami's waters. "...help me..." Kirino's arm reaches out just as his body is swallowed up by the rising water levels!
Ryoko turns back suddenly. "Kirino-sama?" She moves as quickly as she can towards him in the flood waters. "Master, I will free you!" She tries to pull away the wood pinning him against the wall, then hoist him up so he can breath. She doesn't know how she'll treat his injuries, which are surely very serious, in this chaos, but one thing at a time.
Athletics 5k2

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 101
User Class: Rigger

Re: The Great Wave: Impact

Post by Graven » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:28 am

"We should escape, to do anything else is to wait for death," Jun begins looking for ways out, then looks to his companion, wondering if the man's injuries will impede their escape. At least they can scramble out through the window, after that, he can only pray, swimming isn't a skill that is focused on in Unicorn lands, least of all by the Iuchi.
Yeah, so Jun will wade/swim to the window unless Kyousuke asks for that healing, he's not going to insult him by offering again
Then, I guess swim? RIP Jun
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8046
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: The Great Wave: Impact

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:22 am

Kyousuke doesn't look enthused about adventuring out, but the honor and bravery of his ancestors sustains him. "Yes, Jun-san. And ... I will graciously receive the offer of healing. Pride would be my downfall here, and I will need all my strength to assist you and all the other survivors." He accepts with dignity the aide, and then makes ready to scramble out and follow along with the Unicorn. "May the Fortunes watch over us."
Yeah ... I'll accept that helping healing. Thought we would end up finding each other quicker, but makes sense we're trapped in different parts of the building. The thing is barely holding together.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 101
User Class: Rigger

Re: The Great Wave: Impact

Post by Graven » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:39 am

Standing on the desk, head between the rafters, Jun lifts a leather satchel from the surface of the water, carefully pulling out a scroll and holding it above the water. Strapping the bag tight again, he begins to read.
Cast touch of the Hot Springs from scroll (since it won't work as meishodo
4k2, TN 10 (heals amount of result above TN)
One Earth, One Water used
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
Formerly Phlale

Post Reply