FFG's Star War RPG License Renewed - includes Ep 7

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

FFG's Star War RPG License Renewed - includes Ep 7

Post by Shurijo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:41 pm

From EnWorld
Word has reached me that Fantasy Flight Games - which produces Edge of the Empire and other Star Wars RPGs - has had its license renewed. Not only that, but the license includes material from Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

Edge of the Empire was released in 2012, and has two sequels: Age of Rebellion and Force & Destiny (the beginner game of which is apparently at the printer right now, and the full game expected May-ish).
One of my biggest fears was that now that Disney owns SW they were going to cancel their RPG licenses and then re-issue them creating a new set of rules. I'm a big fan of FFG's new ruleset, so I'm excited to see that they are keeping FFG on board and going forward with books with material from Ep7.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: FFG's Star War RPG License Renewed - includes Ep 7

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:30 pm

This is indeed good news. It will be interesting to see how well The Force Awakens meshes with existing game material. The existing games, while they don't focus on the Expanded Universe, still seem to draw a lot from it--and the EU has been declared non-canon in the new movie series, so elements of the EU might well be contradicted.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:47 pm

Does anyone really like the system for PbP? It seems highly reactionary which is troublesome.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:58 pm

So far the game we are playing using it seems fine. We've worked out the Init kink just fine.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:47 pm

Yeah, I find that as long as everyone is okay with GM taking some liberties with the bonus/advantages then it's okay. It's super helpful to just say the priority will be: crits, adv weapon activation, and then pass bonus.

I use that for a priority, in example Haya got 5 adv in a roll, so I used 3 for him to auto-crit and 2 to activate a feature of the weapon (linked). Instead of having to ask him whether he wants to pass it on. If there's only 1 adv, then best to assume it's getting passed as a bonus.

The init is tricky when there's a lot of players, but if you had a ~4 game, then I don't think it's a problem. One of the advantages of init, is that if you're a slow poster you can post whenever there's a PC slot, the team isn't waiting on you. However, if there's a specific action that the team needs a specific PC to perform in a specific order (like fly the ship forward so gunner can shoot), then it falls back to a near named-PC init slots rather than any-PC slots.