looking for creature creation advice...

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:16 pm

I'm running a small game based loosely based on the Castlevania series. I recently used a creature that ate spells to get stronger, and am working on a bigger version to use as a boss encounter... I was wondering if there is a way to make it look like spells (which help it) hurt it and physical attacks (Which hurt it) do nothing or heal it. Any suggestions?
When sneaking up on people, leave your cell phone at home... or at least off.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Sat May 23, 2015 11:31 pm

The Pathfinder Tome of Horrors had this in it for a classic monster, the Nilbog (goblin backwards)

Damage Reversal (Ex)
When struck by any attack that would normally damage the nilbog, it actually gains hit points equal to the damage the attack would have otherwise dealt. A nilbog gains any extra hit points above its normal total as temporary hit points, though it can never have more than twice its normal hit points. (Excess hit points are simply lost.). The nilbog can only be damaged through the use of curative magic and effects (cure light wounds and healing potions, for instance). Curative magic deals damage equal to the amount it would normally heal.

You'd just then need to tailor it to best suit your creature, i.e. what about negative/impairing spells that don't damage, would they do spell level damage? You could even have the creature absorb spell levels to increase it's own Hit Dice and Effective Class Levels if desired, i.e. a lvl 3 spell boosts its HD by +3, etc.

A strong Will-based illusion of some sorts would probably be your best bet when handling the proposed reversal of effects when using spells/physical attacks against it. i.e. Will 25-30 Save, even with a -4 penalty if so desired to realize that their spells aren't really hurting it or their fighters' attacks are actually effective. Could then just slap a name of the (Ex) ability and calculate its CR bump as so desired.

At least that's my 2 coppers on the matter.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Re: looking for creature creation advice...

Post by ardh05 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:18 am

I like that idea, thanks. How I ran the lesser version was: When a spellcaster casts a spell at it, it makes a special level check. If it succeeds, the spell is consumed and it gains +10 temp HP, and a +1 profane bonus to AC, Attacks, and Damage. The bigger version gains bigger bonuses for eating spells, but tries to fool spellcasters into casting at it. I will definitely look into the illusion thing, probably adding bluff checks to the mix.
When sneaking up on people, leave your cell phone at home... or at least off.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: looking for creature creation advice...

Post by Vardaen » Sun May 24, 2015 3:21 am

Some critters like golems in PF get various effects from spells...like light ing might haste it. Instead od just straight stat boosts.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring