Star Wars VII Spoiler Thread

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:21 pm

This thread is for those who want to talk about Star Wars: Ep VII. Feel free to talk about the movie all you like here, spoilers and whatever you'd like. If you haven't seen the movie, beware.

Also I suspect that any Star Wars game being run here may contain movie spoilers now as well.
SPOILERS AHEAD
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:40 pm

Ok, I saw it twice. Some thoughts:

+ Characters, acting, dialogue, visuals, pace. Good stuff.
- plot: The plot is like a "best of" from Episode 4-6. I would have liked much more original stuff (planets, plot twists, ships, villains...) but this is just recycling. Slightly disappointed.

Greatest OMG moments:
Junk ship turns out to be the Falcon. Yeah!
Han gets killed - I totally did not see that coming.

Open questions: Who is Rey? Is she related to Luke/Leia? Why can she learn force skills so quickly? Some reviewers suppose she was a Jedi and then brainwashed. What do you think of this?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:43 pm

I think she's probably Luke's daughter. That would be the most obvious. But it is never stated if Luke was ever married or had a kid. If it was Han/Leia's daughter, I feel they probably would have mentioned her. Seems like Ben was the only child. I could be totally wrong on all this, of course.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:48 pm

I think Rey clearly was in the New Jedi Temple as a kid, then Kylo does his murdering bits and she's secreted away to Jakku. Clearly a dick move my Luke to dump her on a desert planet, he of all people knows how crappy desert planets are.

I like the theories that she's Kenobi's Granddaughter (yes he had some affairs), possibly even Luke's daughter.... meaning Luke and Obi Wan's Daughter got it on!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:50 pm

I don't know if they'll actually explain why she's so strong in the Force. To be able to defeat Kylo, even as injured as he was, is impressive. I feel like they kept showing how badass the bowcaster was to prove that Kylo shot with one would be severely injured and weakened.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Re: Star Wars VII Spoiler Thread

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:53 pm

TetNak wrote:I think she's probably Luke's daughter. That would be the most obvious. But it is never stated if Luke was ever married or had a kid. If it was Han/Leia's daughter, I feel they probably would have mentioned her. Seems like Ben was the only child. I could be totally wrong on all this, of course.
Vardaen wrote:I think Rey clearly was in the New Jedi Temple as a kid, then Kylo does his murdering bits and she's secreted away to Jakku. Clearly a dick move my Luke to dump her on a desert planet, he of all people knows how crappy desert planets are.

I like the theories that she's Kenobi's Granddaughter (yes he had some affairs), possibly even Luke's daughter.... meaning Luke and Obi Wan's Daughter got it on!
Ha, beat me to it. I was just about to say that there are some theories going around that Rey is in fact a descendant of Obi Wan in some capacity (grand-daughter perhaps?). Question is, if this theory in fact proves to be true, I'm curious as to who it was that Obi Wan got intimate with, since as Vardaen pointed out, Obi Wan did have a number of affairs over the course of his life.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:56 pm

Hermit wrote:
TetNak wrote:I think she's probably Luke's daughter. That would be the most obvious. But it is never stated if Luke was ever married or had a kid. If it was Han/Leia's daughter, I feel they probably would have mentioned her. Seems like Ben was the only child. I could be totally wrong on all this, of course.
Vardaen wrote:I think Rey clearly was in the New Jedi Temple as a kid, then Kylo does his murdering bits and she's secreted away to Jakku. Clearly a dick move my Luke to dump her on a desert planet, he of all people knows how crappy desert planets are.

Ha, beat me to it. I was just about to say that there are some theories going around that Rey is in fact a descendant of Obi Wan in some capacity (grand-daughter perhaps?). Question is, if this theory in fact proves to be true, I'm curious as to who it was that Obi Wan got intimate with, since as Vardaen pointed out, Obi Wan did have a number of affairs over the course of his life.
Did he really? That's EU stuff that isn't canon at all. Based on the movies only, I don't see him doing that.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:00 pm

TetNak wrote: Did he really? That's EU stuff that isn't canon at all. Based on the movies only, I don't see him doing that.
Perhaps, although if we're going by canon stuff, apparently all that stuff that happened in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoon series is considered canon based upon the fact that they're both mentioned in more recent Star Wars books timelines. If that's the case, then there's a distinct chance that maybe Obi Wan took his relationship further with a certain Mandalorian duchess than was previously let on.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:19 pm

I felt that the movie was very entertaining, but really was just a remake of IV for a new generation. How many death stars are there to destroy and how come they can't figure out how to protect one from a few shots with a proton torpedo? I'd think if they had the technology to drain a star, they could at least put up a decent defense shield.

Anyway, I know it was just ushering in about 50 new films, books and video games. I liked it, but it just seemed lazy. J.J. Abrams and Disney seemed to be playing it safe, looking to make a lot of money.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:31 pm

Wbweather wrote:I felt that the movie was very entertaining, but really was just a remake of IV for a new generation. How many death stars are there to destroy and how come they can't figure out how to protect one from a few shots with a proton torpedo? I'd think if they had the technology to drain a star, they could at least put up a decent defense shield.

Anyway, I know it was just ushering in about 50 new films, books and video games. I liked it, but it just seemed lazy. J.J. Abrams and Disney seemed to be playing it safe, looking to make a lot of money.
Agreed with this summary. Enjoyable movie. Better than the prequels (not too hard to do), BUT while the prequels were awful, at least their plot was original. (Not saying they were GOOD plots...) It was definitely playing it safe. I only hope they're willing to take some risks now...

I knew Han was a dead man, since Ford wanted to be killed off back in Ep 5...they had to give him his chance. Plus no chance for Poe to come into importance (or really, ANYONE except Rey) in the shadow of Han.