Star Wars VII Spoiler Thread

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Star Wars VII Spoiler Thread

Post by TetNak » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:31 pm

Wbweather wrote:I felt that the movie was very entertaining, but really was just a remake of IV for a new generation. How many death stars are there to destroy and how come they can't figure out how to protect one from a few shots with a proton torpedo? I'd think if they had the technology to drain a star, they could at least put up a decent defense shield.

Anyway, I know it was just ushering in about 50 new films, books and video games. I liked it, but it just seemed lazy. J.J. Abrams and Disney seemed to be playing it safe, looking to make a lot of money.
Although I agree about Starkiller base, this is the same thing that Lucas did for a New Hope and Return of the Jedi, only it was EXACTLY the same. No one ever complains though.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:37 pm

My money is on Rey being Obi-Wan's granddaughter. There's only 2 people who speak proper/Queen's English in the movies. Obi-Wan and Rey. Even other English actors (like Liam Neeson) didn't use their (normal) English accent, but instead used their Americanized voices. Also, she did all of Obi-Wan's tricks of sneaking around the Deathstar, and trademark mind trick, etc. She's about 10 years younger than Kylo (Kylo = sKYwalker + soLO). So if Obi-Wan and Yoda needed to carry on the Jedi tradition of passing down their Midicholrians, then they needed to propagate :)

In the movies, Yoda said "there is another." And most people believed that was Leia, but what if Obi-Wan's son/daughter was the "other." That opens up a new story line to explore and could be Rey's parents.

Alternatively, Rey could have been another Solo/Skywalker, who wasn't killed but instead taken to another world by Kylo after he killed the others, because he couldn't kill his sister. But that sets the story up for a brother/sister fight instead of father/son or mentor/pupil fight.

Everyone has been saying that Snoke is Plaguious. Which I think makes the most sense. He could have created/infested Skywalker with the force and then after exhausting himself, Palpatine kills him, but he wasn't completely dead. Being able to see the future, he saw that Palpatine would fail but also bring about the Skywalker line, so he picks up after the Republic has been broken. Somewhere after, Luke either finds a Holocron/Sithcron and releases him or awakens him, so Luke feels guilty for that and for letting Kylo be talked into going dark.

While the movie was a "best of" with tons (maybe too much) parallels between the OT, overall, I still think it's parsecs better than PT. They got the tone right and it was enjoyable and fun. I thought Finn's lack of discipline was a story-breaker (he was picked up as a child and trained as a soldier, but seems to have no military discipline at all in regardless to anything). Being brainwashed/trained from that young age, he'd be a little more stoic - I think.

As far as Deathstar/Starkiller, I think everyone was in on the "joke." Even Han said at the command center, "There's always a way to blow up these things." I don't think we'll see another starkiller/deathstar in 8 or 9.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Wbweather wrote:I felt that the movie was very entertaining, but really was just a remake of IV for a new generation. How many death stars are there to destroy and how come they can't figure out how to protect one from a few shots with a proton torpedo? I'd think if they had the technology to drain a star, they could at least put up a decent defense shield.

Anyway, I know it was just ushering in about 50 new films, books and video games. I liked it, but it just seemed lazy. J.J. Abrams and Disney seemed to be playing it safe, looking to make a lot of money.
The shield did keep out the torpedos. The first attack run failed. It wasn't until Chewy/Han blew a breach in the outer wall with the explosives that a fighter got inside of the Starkiller and finally took it down. The shields held, except when it was blown up from the inside.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:00 pm

So my brother-in-law was saying that he thinks Han Solo killed himself with the light-saber to save Ben from going completely to the dark side. Has anyone else heard that theory before?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Wbweather wrote:So my brother-in-law was saying that he thinks Han Solo killed himself with the light-saber to save Ben from going completely to the dark side. Has anyone else heard that theory before?
I don't know how that makes much sense.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Wbweather wrote:So my brother-in-law was saying that he thinks Han Solo killed himself with the light-saber to save Ben from going completely to the dark side. Has anyone else heard that theory before?
Haven't heard that one. Not sure I'd give that idea much chance. It would defeat the whole scene/purpose.

I think Kylo had to kill Han to go fully to the dark side. Luke couldn't kill Vadar, so this sets Kylo up as something different than Luke. The emperor wanted Luke to kill Vadar, if Luke had done that then he'd be completely dark. It also shows that Snoke is more powerful/influential/stronger than the Emperor/Palpatine was to influence Kylo to kill his father where Vadar/Luke couldn't kill each other.

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Kylo had to kill someone he loved to become sith. Snoke felt Kylo's emotion as Han died. Kylo is trying the same move as Ulic Qel-droma in the Great Sith Wars 4k years before. Han killed himself with Kylo's saber because he could not kill his father. Han knew Kylo's mission, that's why he never went after him. Makes some sense.
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:42 pm

That sounds a little bit too complicated for a movie plot. Sounds fine for a novel, but that would just confuse everyone. Plus, the revelation of who Rey's parents are and who Snoke is will be the big reveals in 8 & 9.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:54 pm

I don't think Han killed himself. Nothing to suggest that he did.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:19 pm

Plus there's the whole, Kylo killed all of the padawans/Jedi/younglings, so I doubt he's just "undercover" trying to kill Snoke.