Star Wars VII Spoiler Thread

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Star Wars VII Spoiler Thread

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:37 pm

@Hayabusa I think Starkiller base blew up Alderaan and the Republic (not the Resistance) with it... I could be wrong on that, though...

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Alderaan was destroyed in Episode IV. And that was not Coruscant, so I doubt the Republic was destroyed.
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:52 pm

The Starkiller destroyed Hosnian Prime and four other planets in the Hosnian system. The Hosian System is where the (New) Republic was based/formed and a lot of the (New) Republic military/fleet was located. However, the (New) Republic's capital city and senate is on Chandrila (home of Mon Mothma).

It's second target (that it was aiming for) but was destroyed was D'Qar, which was the base of operations for the Resistance.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:57 pm

I read that the New Republic Senate was no longer located on one world, but moved from planet to planet, and at the time it was located on Hosnian Prime, and so Starkiller Base blew up the Senate.

My question is this, if Starkiller needs to suck up all the juice from a star to prime itself, what star did it use in the opening salvo to destroy Hosnian System? Since the star was still there for the second barrage that was aimed at the Resistance? And what do you do after you eat up the star, your planet dies and you have no more energy, seems kinda of a one shot wonder to me
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:07 pm

1: Twin sun!
2: Drag to another sun.
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Yeah, V, I know exactly what you mean. That stuff bothered me too but I did not want to write out a scene by scene.

To drag a whole planet they would need more than just a fleet... Also if they did that the planet would probably rip apart or at least turn the whole surface into a damn cold piece of hell.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:34 pm

It is Star Wars guys, with magic guys with light swords, I think we had suspend some disbelief about the science in the movie.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:46 pm

Hayabusa wrote: To drag a whole planet they would need more than just a fleet... Also if they did that the planet would probably rip apart or at least turn the whole surface into a damn cold piece of hell.
There was a lot that bugged me about the science. How do they deal with the fact that the entire mass of a star is now compressed inside of a planet? Wouldn't everyone on the planet be crushed under the weight of gravity? For that matter, wouldn't the planet be crushed in upon itself?

I suppose that they would make the argument that if that much energy was contained in the Starkiller base, then they could use that energy to propel the base wherever they wanted. After all they can manipulate gravity and shoot a beam through sub-hyperspace to obliterate a planetary system at will. Heating and propulsion shouldn't be that difficult.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Wbweather wrote:
Hayabusa wrote: To drag a whole planet they would need more than just a fleet... Also if they did that the planet would probably rip apart or at least turn the whole surface into a damn cold piece of hell.
There was a lot that bugged me about the science. How do they deal with the fact that the entire mass of a star is now compressed inside of a planet? Wouldn't everyone on the planet be crushed under the weight of gravity? For that matter, wouldn't the planet be crushed in upon itself?

I suppose that they would make the argument that if that much energy was contained in the Starkiller base, then they could use that energy to propel the base wherever they wanted. After all they can manipulate gravity and shoot a beam through sub-hyperspace to obliterate a planetary system at will. Heating and propulsion shouldn't be that difficult.
Some prominent scientists also complained about some of the scientific aspects of Star Wars. Here's what one person rebutted with that I think is both short and to the point:

"Calm down, it's Star Wars."
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm not worried about the science behind how the weapon works or draining of the energy from teh star etc, the point is what star did they do that to the first time they shot it? And what star were they going to use for the 3rd time they were going to shoot it? I don't think they were about to move the planet.

Okay Binary star system, I'll say that's cool, not that they showed it or anything, but really all that work for 2 shots? (granted each one was like 6 planets at a time), but still.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring