Star Wars VII Spoiler Thread

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Re: Star Wars VII Spoiler Thread

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:02 pm

There may very well be more than one of them in operation. I mean Snoke didn't seem all that perturbed by the fact that the Starkiller was destroyed.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:03 pm

How much does it cost to transform a planet into a Starkiller base? How did they finance it? Isn't the First Order just a splinter faction of the Empire? At the height of its power the Empire never managed to build anything that grand. Now after its decline they can throw one together in 30 years?

I know, it's Star Wars.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Love the questions and I really mean it.

Also:Image
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:10 pm

My guess is Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness made more than Hammil, Ford and Fisher in Ep 4. Not sure it is relevant.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:11 pm

Also, it was integral to have Harrison Ford play Han. It was not necessarily as important to have those actors play those characters. Can't really have someone replace Harrison Ford and play the same character.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:08 am

Agreed with you tet. And he stepped right back in. I thought he was greaf
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:27 pm

I just saw the movie last night and found it very emotionally satisfying. I think it did a very good job of evoking the imagery and themes of the original trilogy, while introducing new characters and developing an original story. I know everyone is saying that the plot was a rehash of the first movie (Episode IV), but I don't see it that way. Yes, there's the need to blow up the badder than the Death Star mega-weapon--but the rest of the movie's plot is its own thing. (And even blowing up the Starkiller was more difficult--it didn't have the vulnerabilities of the the Death Star.) In particular, the relationship between Leia and Han on the one hand and Kylo on the other, while it strongly evokes the themes of the original trilogy, goes in a different direction. And Rey and Finn are new faces, with their own character arcs, not tied to the original characters. And killing off Han was brilliant and took me by surprise--I thought Kylo would throw him off the bridge and then Rey would save him using the Force. (And to me it seemed pretty clear that Kylo deliberately impaled him--you didn't see it more clearly because it's PG-13.)

A few critics have given the movie bad marks for being too much like the original trilogy in terms of imagery and themes. It's a continuation of the series--you want it to feel the same. The similarity is not a result of artistic failure, but of success. And by grounding it well in the feel of the original trilogy, it gives the next two movies more freedom to branch off and do something new while remaining in the Star Wars mythos--which I hope they do.

Things that bothered me:
* Finn seemed to have few hesitations about attacking his old comrades in arms, even though they were, until he met Poe and Rey, the only people he ever knew. However wrong he thinks their actions, you would think there would be some hesitation there.
* The Starkiller weapon does seem a bit goofy, even by Star Wars standards, as others have said.
* The destruction of the capital of the Republic (or the current location of the Senate or whatever) seems to be treated very casually by the Resistance. I imagine the Republic can recover from that blow, if with great difficulty, but you would think it would be a bigger deal.

I find myself hoping, once they complete this new trilogy, that they go back and do remakes of the prequel trilogy, using the same overall plot, but doing them well this time. But let's see how the next two movies turn out first.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:14 pm

Great SNL skit with Adam Driver (Kylo Ren actor) doing a parody of Undercover Boss with Kylo Ren on Starkiller Base.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... se/2969845

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:16 pm

I saw that. Very funny.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic