Dragon Age Inquisition

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Dragon Age Inquisition

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:29 pm

Its a decent game, but just like DA:I, it suffer from it being too console/action style. I prefer my RPGs to be less arcade style fighting. I think that's where both these game suffer after coming from earlier versions of the game. At least for me.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Dragon Age Inquisition

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:38 pm

DA:I's combat is certainly pandering to more casual RPG players. It was very 'meh' for me as well. Witcher 3 is very, very, different. It is complex and rich. You need to craft to really get through a lot of challenges. The story is big far and away one of the best I've ever played in a game. All the Witcher games had similar, but very more refined through each game, combat systems.

The top-down isometric RPGs are going to be niche from now on, probably, with Pillars of Eternity and other games like that still going strong on those, but at a very limited market appeal compared to the Dragon Ages of the world. There's also the Fallout/Skyrim, 1st/3rd person open worlders, and even Fallout 4 looks very, very, dated (I like it, but still).

Isometric vs. Turn Based vs. Action -- Your RPGs. Each have good and bad things about them. Dark Souls might be some of the greatest action combat in an RPG, but with no real story, I'm not much interested.

Mass Effect had a very good story/plot, and it was essentially a watered down Gears of Water shooter. Didn't matter, I loved it.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Dragon Age Inquisition

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Story plays a big part in it that's true. A poor story and it doesn't' matter how good the system is.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition

Post by Olligarchy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Vardaen wrote:Its a decent game, but just like DA:I, it suffer from it being too console/action style. I prefer my RPGs to be less arcade style fighting. I think that's where both these game suffer after coming from earlier versions of the game. At least for me.
Git gud scrub. ;)

I actually really enjoyed Witcher 3 and felt it made up for what I felt was a really weak second installment. The story of Witcher 2 was alright, but the mechanics felt so clumsy and out of place I stopped like five times and had to force myself to blitz through the game before the 3rd installment to get my save transfer.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:23 pm

Heh, well sidetracking aside, it seems safe to say that no one has an answer to my original dilemma, which is fine, I understand. Thank you for responding anyway. On a separate note, I've been personally enjoying the game thus far, so much so that I might consider acquiring the RPG core book that Green Ronin published not too long ago.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:33 pm

It is a neat book. They were hawking this edition big time at gencon

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Unfortunately it seems to be temporarily out of stock on Amazon. Guess I'll have to see if one of the hobby stores in my vicinity have a copy on hand that I may one day venture forth to collect, heh.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Sorry to hijack, yeah no idea how to get things to sync up for you.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:39 pm

I think I have a PDF of that some place.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Hermit wrote:Unfortunately it seems to be temporarily out of stock on Amazon. Guess I'll have to see if one of the hobby stores in my vicinity have a copy on hand that I may one day venture forth to collect, heh.
Looks out of stock on GR's website as well. They make some good products, but they really suck at the business side of things. I don't think we'll ever see another ASOIAF book.