Prelude: Kakita Ryoko

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Image "Your mind is like this water my friend, when it is agitated it becomes difficult to see.
But if you allow it to settle, the answer becomes clear." - Master Hyobe Oogway

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

From the Shadowlands in the south to the Burning Sands in the north, from the Twilight Mountains in the west to the Islands of Spice and Silk in the east, Rokugan, the Emerald Empire, has stood for over one thousand years thanks to the seven Great Clans who serve the Emperor. As guardians and politicians, each clan fulfills their role in society and are as varied as they are powerful. But all are bound by the same code of honor, the way of the warrior, the code of Bushido. Honor is valued above all else, and a misspoken remark can be just as fatal as an enemy’s blade.

Kōnotori Mura : White Stork Village

Just another farming and fishing village in the southern Crane lands, Kōnotori Mura, is a pleasant, if not simple, place to be. The village is pleasantly arranged, each house placed just so by a Crane civil planner, as if it was a a piece of ikebana, the Rokugani art of flower arranging. Peasants work the rice fields that spread out around the village for many li. They work with vigor and songs on their lips that help them to keep time as they plant and harvest throughout their lives. The village has a small wharf area with a few floating docks, fishing boats, and a thriving beach side community of fisher folks.

White Stork Village takes its name from the many white storks that migrate through each summer from their breeding grounds in the nearby Uebi Marshes to the west on their way to the south east Isles of Spice and Silk. There among the so called Mantis Clan the storks winter. A large garden, placed just so among the arrangement, is set to invite the storks with dogwoods and lilies. They say it is good fortune if a stork takes notice of you along its flight. The height of Crane fashion will often bear a feather from White Stork Village.

Three roads come into White Stork Village, each one leaving by a cardinal direction North, South or West. Travelers pass through the village daily on their way to other places. Only a rare few come here for the village itself. Some come to visit the garden when the storks are present, others to visit the small Shrine of the Sebun Ronin. All visitors end up at the Cresting Wave Sake House, the only such establishment in town where travelers can get a meal and room.

It is the Month of the Rooster, as the peasants view the calendar. Summer is fading, autumn is coming, the rains will start soon. The storks are nearing the end of their migration, yet many are still found in the garden and waters off the coast of Kōnotori Mura and so too are travelers. Tax season has begun as the rice harvest is starting. Many reasons have brought many souls to this small village, some may call it fate, or fortune, or kharma, whatever the purpose, small ripples have begun to spread across the surface of the water.
Welcome to the game! Please don't post just yet. I'll work in an introduction for each of you as we go forward. As the start of a new game we will have a bit of 'intro' and 'getting to know you' at the start. The game will start off rather sandboxy, player driven, within the set piece of the village until I begin to tell my story for the chapter.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:35 pm

Traveling north from the southern Crane lands a pair of Crane samurai near the sleepy Kōnotori Mura. The two have been traveling through the local villages of the region for weeks. The older of the two is a magistrate on an investigation that was taken him and his yoriki through a good number of villages and towns in the Southern Crane Provinces.

Doji Kirino, the master in this pair, is perhaps in his early thirties. He wears his hair in a traditional top knot, and unlike many of the Kakita of the Crane, his hair is dark black. His features are square and set, and he doesn't smile much, but neither does he frown. His kimono is strong and durable, only a few dozen months out of fashion, but that doesn't seem to bother him. On his hip his daisho sits, but he wears no armor and carries no other tools of war. His younger companion, Kakita Ryoko, knows that all Kirino needs his is katana and his iaijutsu skill, witch is well honed, if trouble strikes.

"We are near to the Village of White Storks Ryoko-san," the older of the two says as the village comes into view. "This time of year the storks may still be present. I have not had the pleasure of passing through at the right time to see them. I suggest you make a point of spending time in the garden when we arrive, if the storks are still there." His stride is long and purposefully even after hours of walking for the last few days. He bears a small traveling pack on his back; low on rice now, but the young woman traveling with him knows he has enough koku inside to restock their supplies here.
Welcome Muskrat the game as Kakita Ryoko. You should intro post your character. Watch for a PM.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:01 pm

Ryoko nods solemnly and says, "Thank you, Kirino-sama. I will heed your advice." She is dressed simply--if Kirino's robes are a bit out of style, Ryoko's were never in style. A simple blue robe, with light armor over, her white hair tied back in a simple pony tail, with no jewelry or other decoration. She wears this on the road and at the court and if others look down upon her for it, that is their problem. Still, she can appreciate things of beauty and is genuinely interested in seeing the cranes.

She does not know precisely what her master is investigating, though it obviously has something to do with local rice production. She is curious, but holds her tongue, knowing asking is only likely to earn her a reprimand. If Kirino had judged it was important for her to know, he would have told her. As it is, she is happy to be on the road and traveling, seeing more of the world, not tied up at a court with all its formality.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:40 pm

"When we arrive we will need to meet with the local magistrate first, I will handle that. I want you to secure us a room at the local inn. Then join me at the magistrate's home, that should give me enough time to deal with them. I have a feeling all our work these last few weeks may come to fruit here in Kōnotori Mura. I may be time to tell you more, I think you are ready."

The two are traveling along fairly flat and level fields. Rice paddies begin to stretch out all around for many li from the village. To the right, east, the sea stretches off like a great blue and silver field. Beaches mark where earth and water meet.

There is a cool wind from the sea and Kirino actually smiles as he inhales the salt air. "Do you hear that?" The soft sound of waves on the shore and gulls in the air drifts lightly to your ears. "I will always enjoy that sound." He seems to be softening the closer to the sea he gets; something perhaps in his past?

The village comes into view and Kirino pauses a moment to take in the view. You can see a small fishing area, with floating docks and boats and fishermen to the east along the beaches (there is no deep water port). Homes and buildings are placed in a simple yet pleasing pattern. "Come." He strides forward with purpose past the farmers in the fields and should arrive in less than half a Rokugani hour.
Kōnotori Mura, Southern Crane Lands

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Ryoko bows her head and says, "As you wish, Kirino-sama. I am pleased that you are willing to entrust me with more knowledge." And happy that her curiosity will be satisfied.

Ryoko also breaths deeply of the sea air, while listening to the gulls. She nods. "It is very pleasant." Far more pleasant than the pageantry of the court, she thought to herself, but one didn't say such things out loud. She follows Kirino towards the village, surveying it with a scout's eyes--places for ambushes, paths in and out, trying to identify the inn and the magistrate's home from afar.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 pm

"Never forget to take the time to enjoy the simple things in life when they present themselves." Kirino and Ryoko finish the walk into the village. Small homes dot the road here and there, but two larger buildings stick out. The Cresting Wave Inn and the Magistrate's Estate. Estate may be a strong word for the building, but its the largest home, with a small out building or two set on a rise on the eastern edge of the village overlooking the beach below to the east, and the village to the west. "We shall part here. Join me later when you can Ryoko-san." He strides off toward the estate.

As he does a white stork is spotted in the air swooping over the estate heading for the gardens to join its flock.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Ryoko points at the passing stork and says, "Look, Kirino-sama. I would say we are not too late to observe the storks." A small smile appears on her face. "Once I have finished at the inn, I will go to the garden before rejoining you at the magistrate's."

With that, she heads towards the Cresting Wave Inn. She looks it over, not so much for how fancy it is--she doesn't care about things like that--but how clean it is. Once she enters the inn, she approaches the clerk and says, "Greetings. We will need two rooms--one for my master and one for myself."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Kirino nods, "I think that is a fine idea." Eyes upwards he watches as the stork flies overhead and heads to join its flock at the garden. "Enjoy yourself a bit, take a moment to get something to eat or drink or wash the road from you. I can handle things with the Magistrate just fine without you for a time."

With that Ryoko heads through town to the Cresting Wave Inn. A simple sign over the door of a great blue wave and a few kanji mark it as a sake house, tea house, inn, and entertainment house all in one. As Ryoko heads inside an old Crab Courtier, Yasuki by his mon, is coming out. The pair nearly bump into one another as the old man's travels take from from a table to the door....
This thread is going to exit to here: viewtopic.php?p=363781#p363781

You join Hiruma Shonogen's location