Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:00 am

Wordlessly assenting to the regulation with a taciturn nod, Gensai displays neither friendliness or outrage. While he cannot pretend to smile cordially at the prospect of disarming himself at what is intended to be a social gathering, the shugyōsha knows well enough to choose his words and actions carefully, especially in seemingly innocuous court settings such as this one. Not wishing to revisit painful memories, Gensai purposefully walks towards the weapon racks, waiting patiently for the other guests to place their assorted armaments away before reverently stowing his own daisho alongside them, pausing only briefly to admire the craftsmanship of the others on display.

After a small wait for the remaining guests to arrive and hiding a smirk beneath a hand stifling a minor coughing fit when a young Crane courtier quietly frets over having no gift to offer for unexpected guests such as himself and another, a Unicorn judging by his garb and subtly foreign features, Gensai finds himself eventually standing with the loose assemblage of guests within a tastefully well-appointed dining room befitting of a self-professed patron of the arts. Dark eyes crinkle admiringly at several art pieces and the ikebana arrangements lining the low table set in the center of the modestly sized room, then briefly scrutinizes the colorful array of guests both minor and illustrious before settling his gaze upon the host himself.

Though there is nothing preventing the well-dressed vagabond from approaching the magistrate himself, such a brazen social gesture from a man of his status, regardless of the sincerely honorable motives behind treading this arduous path, will more than likely be received poorly. Gensai spares a questioning glance to Kyo, wondering if whether the miko intends to introduce him to their prestigious host before or during the banquet among other things.
For the moment Gensai will stay close to Kyo and see if she intends to introduce him to Doji Hirawara now or later. If she plans to do the latter, then Gensai will instead try and talk to Tsume no Doji Takashi since he's the only other person at this gathering that Gensai's had any earlier interaction with.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Like any good party there are some foods and drinks to sample as things start, but the real dish are the conversations to be had.

Old friends and new mingle with one another and polite introductions are made all around. Everyone seems pleasant enough, polite in that courtly sort of way. No one is about to make a faux pa this early in the evening.

Kirino looks to his aid, and softly whispers to her, "Mingle Ryoko-san, see if you can't find anything relevant. I will speak to the Imperial for a bit." The Crane magistrate finds his way to speak to Otomo Okane and Doji Hirawara, perhaps the three highest station members of the room, if you don't count the Crane woman Doji Aiko.

The Unicorn stands there, almost ignored until his cousin arrives. She makes her way over to him as her master finds himself in conversation rather quickly with the old Yasuki man. "Cousin, how are you doing today? Well I hope. Seems like this should be a fine party. I haven't seen this many people here in a while. Did you hear the old shrine maiden Asahina Kyo brought a ronin with her?" She smirks.

Otomo Okane looks on his nephew, "Doji Kyousuke, my you have grown since the last time we saw each other. That is the way of things however it is not? Seasons change, the clouds travel the sky, and children grow up." He looks as Doji Kirino and Hirawara come to speak to him. "I think nephew we will have to catch up later." The Crane Host holds up a hand, "Your nephew? No Okane-sama, please family first. I will go and speak to my guests. Enjoy."

Hirawara is moving to speak to the Shugenja Kyo when the Crab Shongoen stops him, and the two fall to speak about art. "Rare is the Crab that appreciates such finer aspects of art. Your Kaiu are master craftsmen, but the Kakita are true artists. You see this painting here was done in 876 by Kakita Gozemon, notice the brush strokes pull up not down, that was a change in the style of the times....." for the next ten minutes the party's host is deep into his own words in conversation with Shonogen.

Ryoko breaks away from Kirino and goes to speak to the Crab, once Shongen is free. The two greet one another and Yasuki Yoshito the old Crabs pushes up his spectacles. "Oh a pleasure to meet such a fair faced friend of my grandson. I see now why he abandoned me all day yesterday." He glance at Shonogen and gives him a knowing look. "If you will excuse me I need to speak to Juro about some security matters for a caravan coming this way next month." He nods to the two young samurai and slips off into the party.

Kyo enters the party with the Ronin Gensai, but she is distracted, looking about as if seeking something. "Well Gensai, there she is. My recent pupil." As she says the last word a young Crane woman comes into view in the shifting party crowd. The young woman is seated, head down, but she looks up to see Kyo and Gensai, and the ronin notices at once at her eyes are different colors. No one sits near her except one party goer -- Tsume no Doji Takashi, and there is a sense of loneliness to the young girl even in the crowded room. Kyo walks up to her, "Gensai this is Asahina Kanko-Cho, and look its our visiting northerner Takashi, well what a group we have here. How ever did the Magistrate allow us in to this fancy party!" She smiles around at the others.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Ryoko breaks away from Kirino and goes to speak to the Crab, once Shongen is free. The two greet one another and Yasuki Yoshito the old Crabs pushes up his spectacles. "Oh a pleasure to meet such a fair faced friend of my grandson. I see now why he abandoned me all day yesterday." He glance at Shonogen and gives him a knowing look. "If you will excuse me I need to speak to Juro about some security matters for a caravan coming this way next month." He nods to the two young samurai and slips off into the party.
Ah, here is the Yasuki that Kirino-sama head rumors of, Ryoko thinks. She tries to keep an annoyed look from her face as he immediately slips away. She turns to Shonogen instead and says, "Ah, Hiruma-sama, I don't think I ever asked--what brings you and your grandfather to these parts? Yasuki-san mentioned something about seeing to security?" She leaves out the part about the trade caravan, not wanting to appear to dwell on something tasteless.

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sasori » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:38 pm

The young Asahina bows before her mentor and the ronin at her side to greet them both.
"It is an honor to meet you Gensai-san." The woman seems to be at a loss for a second since she doesn't recognize the mon and neither does the man wear clan colors, so she decides to greet him with the name mentioned by Kyo. Also it seems like Kanko-Cho blushes slightly, maybe due to the sudden attention given to her, after her being ignored or avoided by most of the other guests. Aside from her discolored left eye, the woman appears to be well dressed, yet simple. The kimono is light blue with some weaved in cranes and cherry blossoms and held in place with a white sash. Hair white hair arranged into a simple braided hairbun held in place with some silver kanzashi showing cranes and butterflies. If it weren't for her eye, she might seem like a nice person with a calming aura.
"Kyo-sensei, I hope the journey was not too troublesome? Would the two of you like to sit with me for a while?", asks the young Crane.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:06 am

Shonogen leaves his conversation with Hirawara beaming with confidence. He was able to engage his host knowledgeably on a subject dear to his heart and, as far as Shonogen could tell, left a good impression.

When his grandfather departs and leaves him with Ryoko, he smiles sheepishly at the assumptions his grandfather had made about their relationship. He readily answers her question, seeing nothing behind it but small talk.

"As I said at the inn, I am returning from the Phoenix lands, having finished my training there. Grandfather was the only family to make the long trek. I have served as his security on the return trip, since I am a trained yojimbo, but he is only indulging me and doesn't intend it to be a permanent position. I'm better at guarding shugenja anyway."

"When he decided to attend my gimpuku ceremony, he must have made plans to conduct business along the way. He's been meeting with people at almost every village we pass through. You noticed he wants to discuss security. If he expected me to continue offering my services, he would include me in such a conversation. You see? He's just humoring me by letting me guard him on this trip alone."

Shonogen feels himself running on so he stops talking momentarily as he pokes awkwardly at the hors d'oeuvres on the table.

"So, that's the magistrate you serve over there?"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:30 am

The young Crane bows graciously to their host, and picks up the conversation with his extended family. "It appears that way, dear uncle. My mother and I ran into an old friend of hers whom we then invited here, one Yasuki Yoshito-sama. I believe the last time he saw me I was barely walking, and was amazed that I was no longer 'little Ichiro'." He lets out a rueful laugh, shaking his head. "I suppose one day I will be saying the same thing, surprised at how fast children grow up."

He is less familiar with his uncle's yojimbo, so turns and bows formally to him. "It is an honor to meet you as well, Seppun-sama. I know it is not my place to say, but I personally thank you for the honorable protection you have provided to my uncle. My mother would be crushed by his loss."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Vardaen wrote:Kyo enters the party with the Ronin Gensai, but she is distracted, looking about as if seeking something. "Well Gensai, there she is. My recent pupil."
Pupil? The look of bemusement is evident on Gensai’s face, his attention directed to a young, elegantly dressed Crane woman seated at the low table next to the familiar and welcome face of Takashi. Also of note is the wide berth that several of the guests have given the two of them. Why would Kyo omit any mention of a pupil of hers? A plausible answer to this mystery comes to him sooner than anticipated.
“Gensai this is Asahina Kanko-Cho, and look it’s our visiting northerner Takashi, well what a group we have here. How ever did the Magistrate allow us in to this fancy party!?"
Setting aside the desire to throw a deadpan look towards the elderly miko’s seemingly contrived enthusiasm, the itinerant warrior looms tall over the now named Kanko-Cho. He attempts to introduce himself properly when-
She looks up to see Kyo and Gensai, and the rōnin notices at once at her eyes are different colors. "It is an honor to meet you Gensai-san.”
Gensai blinks surprisingly at this unexpected revelation, dark eyes transfixed by those of striking emerald and sapphire hues. Realizing that he is staring, he has the decency to avert his gaze in an almost abashed manner, a peculiar spectacle from one so stern in countenance and towering in stature. Attempting to salvage this minor faux pas, he bows courteously soon after to both she and Takashi. “An honor to meet you as well, Asahina-sama.”

Having gotten over his initial shock, Gensai is able to study Kyo’s proclaimed pupil more closely beyond her distinctive eyes and gentle aspect. Underlying her calm exterior is a profound feeling of loneliness, a melancholy not entirely unlike the one that has taken deep root within himself since departing on this lonesome pilgrimage.

Briefly favoring Kanko-Cho with a small smile, Gensai turns to address the other guest in his immediate vicinity, his smile curling into a sly grin. “Konbanwa, Takashi-sama. We meet again sooner than expected it would seem.”
Sasori wrote:"Kyo-sensei, I hope the journey was not too troublesome? Would the two of you like to sit with me for a while?" asks the young Crane.

Mulling momentarily over the offer, Gensai responds with an appreciative hum, wisely saying nothing of his walk to the estate with the curmudgeonly Kyo. Promptly sitting down on a plush cushion next to Takashi and Kanko-Cho, he plucks an anko*-filled daifuku** from a nearby platter. Amusingly he notices the powder blue shade of the mochi before taking a satisfying bite of the sweet confection.
*-An edible mashed paste made from red beans (AKA azuki beans). Sweetened with either sugar or honey.

**-AKA Daifukumochi. A confection consisting of a small round mochi (glutinous rice cake) stuffed with sweetened filling, most commonly anko. Generally dusted with a fine layer of starch to keep from sticking.

Since I'm having difficulty squeezing in a proper characterization of Gensai and his formal wear, here's a small description for anyone that catches sight of or directly interacts with him:

Standing head-and-shoulders over the vast majority of this evening's guests with a robust physique to match, this young man would be hard-pressed to avoid the notice of others, even were he inclined to actively attempt such elusion. His shoulder-length black hair has been oiled and tied into a neat chonmage, his brows plucked, and his stubble neatly shaved to further impart some measure of sophistication to himself. His face, though drawn from hardship and exposure to the elements, still carries a proud and handsome bearing, denoting perhaps a more noble ancestry than his appearance would suggest. His expression is generally solemn, though a roguish smile comes easily enough when courtesy and propriety demands it.

His formal ensemble is elegant, albeit simplistic in its relatively uniform color schemes, a trend once considered in vogue at the capital several months ago. At Winter Court it would be perceived as a colossal fashion blunder, but here at the estate of a reputable magistrate it is merely a quaint display with a distinctly rustic charm to it. Emblazoned in stark white against his ebony colored haori are a pair of crests in the shape of a bellflower:

''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Jun smiles at his cousin's familiar attitude, knowing that in part it will explain hit presence to those who overhear. "I am, in fact quite well, Cousin, thank you. I am afraid I had not manage to find out who else was invited before arriving. Do you know anything of this ronin, perhaps they would share some interesting tales of their own travels." In truth, the large man without Clan markings was immediately noticed by the Unicorn. He doubted such guests were common at these events, and his cousin's remark all but confirms it. Speaking to Kishiko, he maneuvers such that between them they can see the whole of the room, while leaving just enough space so as to appear approachable. Childhood lessons, dressed up as games, come back, though without the grace of a dedicated courtier.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Orvost wrote:Shonogen leaves his conversation with Hirawara beaming with confidence. He was able to engage his host knowledgeably on a subject dear to his heart and, as far as Shonogen could tell, left a good impression.

When his grandfather departs and leaves him with Ryoko, he smiles sheepishly at the assumptions his grandfather had made about their relationship. He readily answers her question, seeing nothing behind it but small talk.

"As I said at the inn, I am returning from the Phoenix lands, having finished my training there. Grandfather was the only family to make the long trek. I have served as his security on the return trip, since I am a trained yojimbo, but he is only indulging me and doesn't intend it to be a permanent position. I'm better at guarding shugenja anyway."

"When he decided to attend my gimpuku ceremony, he must have made plans to conduct business along the way. He's been meeting with people at almost every village we pass through. You noticed he wants to discuss security. If he expected me to continue offering my services, he would include me in such a conversation. You see? He's just humoring me by letting me guard him on this trip alone."

Shonogen feels himself running on so he stops talking momentarily as he pokes awkwardly at the hors d'oeuvres on the table.

"So, that's the magistrate you serve over there?"
Ryoko nods and says, "I hope I have a chance to talk further with your grandfather later. I am always curious to hear about others' travels. What manner of folk did he meet with? Did you run into any trouble that you need to guard him from." Ryoko looks over at her master. "Yes, that is the Crane Magistrate Doji Kirino-sama. We are, of course, here on official business, but Kirino-sama did not apprise me of what that business was when we entered the town." Which is strictly true, if misleading. "And it being here is an opportunity to see the stork garden as well."

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

Post by Sasori » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:30 am

The young Asahina slightly blushes again, while Gensai sits down on a cushion. Feeling the heat rising up on her cheeks she tries to hide the red behind her folding fan. Like everything else, the sensu* is quite simple in design, showing a light colored wood and white silk with some blue colored butterflies painted on the fabric. Kanko-Cho looks to her Sensei and hopes that she will sit down too.
*Sensu is the word for folding fans in japanese.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei