Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:32 pm

Personality like a rock, indeed. Social niceties are lost on this Seppun. They are not just empty words, they are the lubrication that keeps the wheel of Rokugan's society moving. Without them, they might as well be the barbarians of the north, or the exaggerated monsters that the Crab are always whining about.

Speaking of the Crab, Doji Kyousuke sees that the old friend of his mother's has gathered a pleasant air of humor and storytelling about himself. The Yasuki's energy is rather inviting, so the Crane makes his way over there to join in the conversation.
Hi, Orvost! Come on over, the water's fine!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:59 pm

Conversations continue for a while, and people mingle. No one grouping seems to stay together too long. After a time, like sand on the beached moved about like waves people are picked up and dropped off at different places among the court chamber.

The topics that seem to be the most talked about are those of art, the storks in the garden, how fine the food is, the weather is always a safe topic, but there are some undertones of political maneuvering if one has the knack for it.

Ryoko finds herself speaking the Yasuki Yoshito for a long while, the old Crab trader has taken a shine to the young Crane woman, and the two are deep into a conversation about travel through the empire, the movment of samurai and goods along the roads. For ten minutes the old Crab speaks about the Imperial Roads and how one can't actually travel on them without proper papers and permissions, but how each has a secondary dirt road that parallels it for those without the sway to have permission to use the Imperial Roads. Its a rather informative conversation. "...but I've rambled on long enough about roads, you probably wanted to speak of something more interesting."

Kyo returns to Gensai after a bit, "Are you prepared to present your sculpture? Our host I believe would care to see it soon."

Jun finds that his cousin laughs at his words, but then is called away by her master. "Pardon me cousin, perhaps you'd care to ask Kyo about that. I believe she is, I've seen her bring other artisans here to meet with Hirawara-sama from time to time." She takes her leave forcing the Unicorn to mingle with the others.
Having lost track a bit of all the characters and desires, feel free to mingle with whomever you'd like.

I would like to know if anyone wants to do something specific, and so we could roll a few skill dice.

IF not we can mingle a bit more, then we can move to another part of the evening
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Ryoko makes sure to remember the information Yasuki Yoshito is telling her about imperial roads in case it should be useful in the future. Trying to ask about matters related to commerce without actually asking about matters related to commerce, she says, "Do your duties just lead you to pass through Crane lands? Or do you spend time here ... ah, dealing with people of the Crane lands, wither the samurai or more well-to-do heimin? Certain Crane hold grudges about the past, which might make you less than welcome in some circles here. I would think you come across challenges in performing your duties."
Roll Investigate: Ryoko is trying to pump him for information to see if she can get any hints that he might be up to anything besides common trade. I'm not expecting to get anything direct about him interfering with the rice tax, just hints if he's doing more than just trading.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:31 pm

Jun scans the room as his cousin walks away. Noting the Keeper of the Shrine and ronin speaking with an Asahina samurai-ko. He approaches the trio, bowing and introducing himself, "I understand that we are honoured with the presence of a patron of the arts?"
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Doji Kyousuke sees the young Crab hesitate in determining where next he will move in the fluid flow of the gathering. He decides to take the initiative, and approach him directly. "Ah, Hiruma Shonogen-san. I am heartened that you and your grandfather were both able to make it here." He can't help but overhead the Yasuki's humorous grandstanding, currently going on about roads or something. "It does my honored mother good to see an old friend, and to renew ties. Perhaps the Fortunes will weave a strange web, and some of us here will look upon this day years from now with similar fondness?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sasori » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:00 am

As Kanko-Cho notices someone coming closer, she tries to recognise the person, but fails in doing so. She does recognise him as a Unicorn Clan Samurai, but can't identify the family mon.
As the man comes closer she tries to avoid eye contact, as always, and greets him politely.
"I guess you could say that about Asahina Kyo-sensei", says the young Shugenja looking at her mentor, " especially since she is connected to both Gensai-san and myself. Although I dabble in to many arts to be really called an artisan, unlike Gensai-san."
Her voice seems kind and friendly, although there seems to be an undertone of insecurity.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:19 am

Content that Ryoko and his grandfather are in conversation, Shonogen is happy to find himself approached by the young Doji he briefly met yesterday in the park.

"Yes, Doji Kyousuke, your mother and my grandfather seem to be happily in their element tonight. What's that you say? Some of us will remember this night many years from now?"

Shonogen looks around suspiciously and leans in closer to Kyousuke while lowering his voice.

"What have you planned? Some part of the entertainment? I suppose you can't tell me without ruining the surprise. Very well: I shall be caught unawares with everyone else. But I look forward to whatever it is. You mentioned weaving and fortunes. Magic perhaps? Of course you can't answer, but I suppose I'll know when I see it."

Shonogen feels himself running on, so he stops talking and diverts his attention to the food again before he continues.

"So, is it true you are related to most people here including the honored guests?"

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:08 am

At the mention of sculpture, Gensai’s hand reaches into the voluminous folds of his garnet and silver patterned obi, questing fingers brushing against the smoothed surface of the finished work from yesterday’s intensive practice with his newly acquired tools. He had been relieved to find the learning curve far less steep than he had anticipated, a measure of his free time these past few months spent on this journey observing other sculptors and their techniques proving to be an invaluable point of reference. There is a nervousness about the rōnin in the way his eyes dart to the floor or the hollowing of his cheeks indicating that he his lightly biting down on the insides of them. Despite this, there is also a hopefulness that shines through in those dark eyes, and with a reassuring nod and smile he responds confidently with, “Yes, I believe so.”

Just as he was about to suggest the best way of going about approaching the Magistrate, the rōnin notices out of the corner of his eye the Unicorn samurai he’d seen earlier approaching and introducing himself.
Graven wrote:Jun scans the room as his cousin walks away. Noting the Keeper of the Shrine and ronin speaking with an Asahina samurai-ko. He approaches the trio, bowing and introducing himself, "I understand that we are honoured with the presence of a patron of the arts?"
All thoughts of meeting with the governor temporarily set aside, Gensai is unsure of whether Jun is referring to himself or someone else. Thankfully he is relieved of his uncertainty when Kanko-Cho chimes in.
Sasori wrote:"I guess you could say that about Asahina Kyo-sensei", says the young Shugenja looking at her mentor, "especially since she is connected to both Gensai-san and myself, although I dabble in too many arts to be really called an artisan, unlike Gensai-san."
A mirthful chuckle can be heard rumbling out of the imposing man. “I’d hardly call myself an artisan,” he admits self-deprecatingly, “a student or aspirant perhaps, but I still have much to learn before I would make such a bold claim. Nevertheless, I am both deeply flattered and honored that you would view me in such high regard.” Even though you've never seen any of my sculptures.

Fully turning to Jun in order to formally introduce himself, it occurs to Gensai that he knows little about the Unicorn, having never visited their lands and counting on one hand alone his limited interactions with itinerant members of that Clan while abroad. What knowledge he does possess stems primarily from rumors and hearsay from the other Clans, the majority of which is… a mixed bag to say the least, depending on the source.

Dismissing such idle thoughts, the shugyōsha considers what conversation piece to touch upon first, eventually beginning tentatively with, “So, what brings you to this festive gathering… Iuchi-sama, was it?”
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Jun nods in acknowledgement of Gensai's and Kanko-Cho's humble responses. "I was afforded some time before my next assignment, and wished to see the lands my father came from and to visit with my cousin," he gestures toward Daidoji Kishiko. "The arts are a proper calling for one such as we, as much as the sword. My own skills are barely acceptable to my sensai, who ensured I at least did not harm the Iuchi name with my attempts."
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sasori » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:46 pm

"I hope Iuchi-san does not mind my curiosity, but which of the arts caught your attention?", asks Kanko-Cho the Unicorn Samurai. For a moment she forgot about her discolored eye and looked up at Iuchi Jun, with a questioning face.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei