Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Ryoko and the old Crab have a nice long conversation. "Oh I am a Yasuki, very few Crane want anything to do with me. Aiko-sama there is one of the exceptions and if she says something, the Crane around here better jump. You know she was born an Otomo. That's where the two of us met, in the Capital. I mostly pass through, when I need to. My trade routes don't take me this way often. I'm just with my grandson on a return trip, and I made the poor boy go this way so I could see the garden." He gets wistful thinking of the garden and the storks. Ryoko is able to use that to her advantage for a while and learns the old Crab is a shrewd businessman, or was in his youth, and not is enjoying his golden years with a longing for the old days. Seems he could be a nice source of wisdom for anyone seeking to follow in his footsteps, or to learn the courtly games that go along with being a samurai merchant. He's likable too, which helps a great deal in his tasks.
Ryoko - Actually Investigate is for locating physical objects, more like searching for clues. You want Courtier, the 'offensive' courtly skill used to gain info from people, etc. While Etiquettee is the 'defenseive' one used to protect against that stuff.

Ryoko Rolled: 4K2
16, 9, 8, 3
Totaling: 25
Adding 0 = 25 vs TN ??
The old Miko of the Shrine Kyo smiles as Jun arrives, after Kanko-Cho addresses the man she seems cool in her reply. "If it isn't an Iuchi Shugenja, or are your people still considered Shugenja with that sort of strange name magic that you use? Never quit understood why your family is allowed to practice that Meishodo heresy of yours in public. A shame and an affront to the kami of Rokugan if you ask me." Then Gensai joins the conversation and she lets him take the lead for a moment.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:07 am

The Doji blinks at the Hiruma's assumptions, translating the poetic language into some sort of hinting at literal intent. "No comment on the entertainment, my good man. I would be a poor son if I did that." He hopes that was a good dodge. And also hopes there is some sort of fancy entertainment planned, to save his ass from a statement gone wrong.

"As for relations, I wouldn't say most, truly. You saw me arrive with my mother, Doji Aiko-sama. She came from the Otomo, marrying into the Crane. Otomo Okane-sama is her brother, of course. And while I could trace my ancestral connections to Doji Hiraware-sama, he is not immediately family." He maintains his use of all proper suffixes at this event, treating it as importantly as Winter Court.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Jun has been warned of the hostility some direct to his family, he nods at the older woman, "I can assure you that like any samurai, my family does our utmost to honour the kami. As to our practices, what can I do but follow the teachings of my ancestors?" His tone is more conciliatory than some might expect from a samurai who just had their family insulted like that. "My interest in the arts is broad, but sadly shallow," he touches the charm at his neck, "I have some skill making trinkets, and as a child I enjoyed travel poetry, though I never developed the talent."
Perfetly fine with a loss of Honour for not defending the family (self preservation reasons here)
Edit to add this
Last edited by Graven on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Ryoko concludes the old Yasuki is unlikely to be involved with the current troubles about the rice tax. Nothing he says hints at such a thing and it seems he travels through Crane lands rarely--if he was going to cause such trouble, he would most likely need a network built up over time. Far more likely, as she originally suspected, that one of the local is the cause of the trouble. Still, she should try to verify the Yasuki's claims that he only comes through here rarely.

Since he has proffered her another lead, Ryoko asks, "Yasuki-san, would you be so kind as to introduce me to Doji Aiko-sama? I am curious to hear from someone who has lived in the capital." Also, someone with that much power locally would be in a position to cause trouble with the local rice taxes--perhaps the Imperials feel the need to take the Crane down a peg or two.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:48 am

Gensai’s head seems to slightly recoil in genuine shock at the undeniably contemptuous slander hurled towards Jun by the wizened miko, devoid of any subtlety or grace and suffused with all of the brutality of a mighty blow from a dai-tsuchi or tetsubo. Without hiding behind a hand fan even! Somewhere in the corner of his mind, he knows that were his mother here even she would be mildly astonished by such a brutally direct insult, and from a Crane no less.

Still processing what has just transpired before him, the shugyōsha looks over intently at the insulted person in question and listens very closely to his response to such a malicious provocation. Again he is surprised, this time by the Unicorn’s seemingly unruffled reply where Gensai was certain an equally outrageous retort or even an outright challenge would be given. Unsure of whether to admire the Iuchi for his poise or to rebuke him for not defending his and his family's honor, ultimately he settles on somewhere in the middle and leaves it at that, only scarcely taking note of Jun's answer to Kanko-Cho’s query from earlier regarding his artistic talents.

It is then that Gensai becomes aware of the gaze from Kyo’s withered face leveled expectantly towards him, as if awaiting for him to contribute his own opinion on such a controversial topic. Inclining his head with a pensive look on his rugged face, the shugyōsha’s mind races, considering his next words carefully. A few moments later he looks up at Kyo with a neutral expression. “Miko-sama,” he begins tentatively, “while I am humbled that you would seek my input on such a serious issue, I don’t know if I could provide any reliable insights in this particular matter.”

Breathing deeply through his nose, Gensai continues. “I do not possess the gift to perceive and interact with the kami like you and Iuchi-sama do, and my knowledge of such traditions is finite. How then could I dependably judge whether meishōdō is heretical or not?” Before the miko is able to respond the shugyōsha adds with a conciliatory smile, “Having said that, I’d be honored if you and Iuchi-sama were willing to further enlighten me with your vast wisdom regarding such spiritual matters. Maybe then I might be able to offer a more informed opinion.”

Sensing an opportunity to shift the conversation to something less contentious, Gensai turns his head over in the direction of where the Magistrate is and says, “Alas, it will have to wait until another time.” He stands up from his cushion and pats at his hakama. “I believe I’m ready to introduce myself to the esteemed Magistrate now.” He glances at Kyo. “Shall we? As you said earlier, I’m sure our gracious host would like to see my sculpture sooner rather than later.”
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:12 pm

The old Yasuki replies in thought to Ryoko slowly, "I will introduce you, but please you can not hold it against me if the woman is too busy to speak with you. There are many glorious folks here tonight, and she is of a great status. She only speaks with me because we are old childhood friends. Come..." He takes Ryoko across the room to Aiko. She's speaking with the Crane Magistate of the village at the time, they are finishing up some conversation about poor weather in a southern region that could be damaging to crops, but Doji Hirawara just waves it off.

Clearly the old Miko of the Temple has her dislike of these gaijin magics that the Unicorn have brought with them from outside Rokugan. She weighs the reply of Jun and allows herself to be distracted by the change in subject. Now is now the place to cause a scene, even if she started it, even if she was hoping that Jun might make a fool of himself in defense of his clan.

Kyo nods to Gensai, "Yes yes yes, all find answers, let us do what we came here to do then shall we." She leads the young ronin across the room. Jun and Kanko-Cho are left standing there, a bit in awe of the whole situation. Kyo calls out, interrupting just as Ryoko is about to be introduced to Doji Aiko.

"Doji Hirawara!" Her voice is loud, loud enough to draw the attention of all those present in the chamber. "Doji Hirawara what a find evening you have put together for us. The food and drink so far have been delightful and on par with any Crane village of a size such as this. You have done your family no dishonor tonight, so far. Yet, I grow impaient in my old age, a woman like me doesn't have time to spend in idle chatter. So I present to you, the newest artisan for your approval. He is a wanderer, he has traveled the length of Rokugan, living on the kindness of strangers, and the skill of his artistry. May I present to you Gensai the Sculpture."

There is polite clapping, and fan waving from among the gathered folks. Doji Takashi, the young man, leans over to those near him and whispers, "A rather flowery introduction for the man. I hope he can live up to it. Don't get me wrong, I like the Ronin, but the old priestess may have just fed him to the wolves with that introduction."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:20 pm

Ryoko is preparing to bow to Aiko and find something polite to say after Yasuki's introduction, when the elderly miko's actions bring everything else to a standstill. She finds herself caught awkwardly, half into a bow to Aiko. She finishes the bow, then stands silently, waiting to see how the situation will play out. Perhaps it will be to her advantage if Hirawa is distracted and Aiko finds herself looking for another conversation partner.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:51 pm

With everyone else in the hall, Shonogen turns his attention to the old woman. He looks back at Kyousuke expectantly, wondering if this was the memorable surprise he was promised. As he realizes the purpose of her outburst, he frowns, knowing this wasn't going to be particularly interesting or memorable. However, the corner of his frown turns up into a smirk as he hears what she has to say: the biting expression of adequacy and nothing more, and her forcing the host to accept her timetable of events. He decides to like her for embracing what her age and station allow her to get away with. He muses for a moment on what would happen to him if he made such an outburst.

Turning back to Kyousuke, he speaks in hushed tones behind a fan: "If Hirawara-sama doesn't appreciate her outburst, there isn't much he can do to her but the poor wave man she has introduced may feel the brunt of his displeasure. The only person who could reign her in would have to be of similar age, gender, and venerable position. The only person like that here is your mother."

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sasori » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:05 am

Kanko-Cho is surprised by the behaviour of her mentor and hopes that this is not seen on her face. She watches the Iuchi Shugenja, trying to read him. The young Asahina is not sure if it would be approrpiate to apologize on behalf of her sensei, so she decides to change the subject and tries to continue where the conversation got interrupted.
"Hm. Poetry in all its variations is hard to master", says Kanko.Cho thinking of her own poets and the many failures she had composed, before she got decent enough so that some kami might accept her Haiku, Waka or Tanka.
"I hope my curiosity is not offending you, but what kind of trinkets do you create?", asks the Shugenja while her eyes wander to the charm Jun touched while answering to the Miko.
The young Asahina talks in a soft and low voice so to not disturb the others who are focusing on her mentor and the ronin.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:43 pm

Jun watches the miko's reaction to his statement. It would not do to make enemies, or get drawn into a challenge, so far from home. He is a guest here, and grateful that the ronin provides a distraction. Perhaps Gensai would prove an interesting companion later, he certainly seems more open minded than most.
"It is no offence, it is a family tradition, related to the practices Kyo-sama brought up." A note of bitterness has crept into his voice, but Jun's words are still conciliatory.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale