Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:01 pm

Jun arrives alone, hair pulled back through a loop of dark thread. His robes are fairly conservative, and the wakizashi hangs at his side alone. A single trinket of wood, carved in the shape of a beetle, hangs from a thread around his neck.
Not knowing anyone except those collecting invitations at the door, he slips in and observes the crowd before plunging into what may be a more difficult event than others before. As a child, he could be forgiven for mistakes, and a Crane father is no small safety. Here there is neither defence, just his own training and wits, and the respect most hold for those who can speak to the kami.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:51 am

Gensai finds himself among one of the last guests to arrive at the gates leading into the Magistrate’s estate. The timing of his arrival is far from intentional, and it does not take a Kitsuki to deduce the cause as soon as the wizened old Asahina shuffles slowly alongside him, feigning vim and verve where minutes ago she’d been bitterly complaining about the stiffness in her joints for the seventh time, much to her younger companion’s cool weariness.

The shugyōsha closes his eyes and holds back a sigh, his mind replaying the troublesome affair that involved getting here with the cantankerous miko in tow. Blessed kami, how many times did I suggest she take a jinrikisha* while I caught up with her on foot? Whether out of a sense of obligation, solidarity, stubbornness, or a combination thereof, Kyo had been adamant about joining him, all the while harshly scolding him for presuming her too weak to carry herself on her own two feet. Truly an ordeal that would test even the patience of Shinsei, reflects Gensai jokingly, immediately remonstrating himself afterward for entertaining such petty and blasphemous thoughts. Questionable though her motives may be for letting him accompany her to this feast in the first place, the gesture is in and of itself a magnanimous one, and such generosity should not be treated with trivial vexation.

A small smile works its way across Gensai’s somber face when his dark eyes briefly espy the familiar figure of Takashi near the gate shortly before the young Crane passes through them. His presence here this evening is unsurprising to Gensai, who’d been informed earlier this afternoon by Kyo of the young man’s attendance tonight, not to mention being the son of a Governor of significant repute in the north. The shugyōsha is uncertain whether being indebted to the son of a governor will ultimately bode good or ill for him and his musha shugyō, or what events will transpire on what is promising to be a festive eve at Doji Hirawara’s manse. This evening will prove to be an interesting one I think, he muses assuredly to himself as he calmly strides towards the armored Crane and his assistant standing by the gate with invitation in hand and the venerable Asahina at his side.
*-The Japanese word that rickshaw originates from.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:19 pm

Even though they were the originators of the plans for this little gathering, the Imperial-turned-Crane and her son are fashionably late to the party. Doji Aiko (formerly of the Otomo) is a middle-aged woman with a noble bearing, out of place even among these august guests. She moves with perfectly polite strides for a woman of her station, dressed in the finest silk and current fashion, holding a small sandalwood and silk fan to cool herself with.
The young man striding alongside is clearly cut from the same cloth, the family resemblance clear. Doji Kyousuke is more familiar to the guests, having been the one that directly invited many of them to the estate. He appears to be in his early 20s, of average height and lithe build. His hair is dyed pristine white, the bleach obviously applied carefully and frequently. He arranges his hair simply, just a long braid down his back. He parallels his mother in dressing in the most current fashion, at least in the courts of the Crane. He also holds a silk and wooden fan, which when opened portrays a crane in flight.
A small groups of servants follows their noble masters, one of them carrying a small stack of scrolls. The lead servant hands over their invitation to the guard, even though they are frequent visits and known to him. Always important to follow the forms in such things. The servant likewise announces his charges, and of note is the position of Doji Kyousuke as a Doji family diplomat. A position low on the political ladder, but one not normally held by one so young.

After he makes his entrance, he personally greets each guest, handing over one of the scrolls held by his attendant. They are clearly personalized without even opening them, as each is bound with silk ribbons of their respectful clan colors, and scented with perfume reminiscent of plants of herbs of their home province.
Handing out the personalized welcome Calligraphy scrolls.

If there are guests that he was not informed were coming, he looks a little peeved. Starting off with a faux pas such as appearing to slight other guests is a minor thing, but still. Not great.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:02 pm

The Unicorn guest slips through the gate, his cousin collecting his invitation with a smile. The two exchange pleasentries for a moment, but as Iuchi Jun notices others nearly he bows and passes through the gate and heads into the building itself where the festivites are going to take place.

Long Jun could have lingers, for the pair behind him are slow. The old shrine maiden moving with the young samurai takes her time. She complains some to Gensai, but he's seen her both suffer from advanced age and move like a young cat to shoo Supai away from the shrine. There is some deception among her movements, but which is the true Kyo Gensai is still guessing at.

At the gate Juro bows low, "Asahina Kyo-sama, welcome. I am most pleased to see you joining us tonight. I am happy we will have your wisdom among us tonight." She frowns, "You flatter me, and you know how I dislike that Juro." The samurai nods curtly "I must have forgotten, forgive me." She shakes her head, "I will, just leave my new artisan alone tonight and we'll call it even." She motions at Gensai, "This is Gensai, my guest."

Juro bows to her, and politely looks Gensai over, but does not bow or nod to the ronin. "Welcome Gensai, you may leave you blades on the stand outside the door." He points across the courtyard at a barely visible rack outside the manor door.
Crane and other exulted guest may keep their weapons on them, if they move them to the right side of their Obi. The not so honored guest, Jun, Gensai, and the Crab, will leave their weapons on a rack outside the door of the main building/chamber.

The last to arrive, of course, are the Crane honored guests. Formerly Otomo, but now Doji Akio and her son, are last to the party. They make everyone wait for them, and Aiko loves it. They pass through the guards at the gate who fall in line behind them now as all of the guests have arrived.

Aiko, the noblest of all the ladies present, slowly moves into the main chamber of the building with the air of a hunting lion. She pauses long enough to fan herself, letting everyone there get a look at her. Even the Otomo that is already there, and the Magistrate hosting pause to watch her entrance. Her small retinue of servants quickly fade into the woodwork joining the other hiemin working the event. Her son, Kyousuke, will spend a good bit of time handing out his prepared gifts, only realizing he does not have enough of them to give out. It seems there is some ronin present he wasn't told about, as well as a Unicorn among the group as well.
Wait to post, I want to give you guys a good post on the chamber, and those that were already here so we can all be on the same page. Its been work to make sure we have everyone present, images of everyone, etc. So that once the party starts you can mingle freely.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:14 pm

The dinning room is a well appointed chamber of paper, wood and bamboo. It is both traditional yet stylish, with a few water colors of cranes in flight set about the polished wooden walls. Rice paper interior doors lead to various places where servants slip in and out of. Down the center of the chamber is a long low table set with appetizers, tea pots and cups, and well done ikebana arrangements. The room is just large enough to hold those present, making it a bit cramped, the host does not normally have this many people. Near the door are racks for your daisho and other items of war.

Already here, as you arrive one by one or in small groups are several people of note.

First of course is your host Doji Hirawara. He is the political leader of the village, the reigning magistrate, and the highest ranking local Crane. Word is that he's a fine leader and a decent magistrate, he's a patron of the arts, and a skilled swordsman as well according to a few rumors you've heard. He smiles and banters with those present, taking the time to welcome you each with skill and propriety as you enter. Its mostly surface greetings, the real talk will start later.
Also here, are two Imperials, clearly they are the highest status members of this party, and they know it by the way they hold themselves. The first is Doji Kyousuke's uncle, Otomo Okane. He is an elder statesman with the look on his face that is impossible to read. Always at his side, but a few steps behind and always silent is his Seppun yojimbo, the only one of you who is fully armed at this point. His daisho is at the ready should trouble strike.
After a short time those manning the gate, Daidoji Juro and Daidoji Kichiko arrive to join the party as well. Juro is now the second member of the party to be armed.
Crane
Doji Hirawara - Host, Crane Magistrate, Political Leader of the Village
Daidoji Juro - Crane Yoriki, Military Leader of the Village
Daidoji Kishiko - Crane Assistant to Juo, Iuchi Jun's Cousin
Ashaina Kyo - Crane, Keeper of the Shrine of the Seven Ronin
Tsume no Doji Takashi - Visiting Crane Vassal
Doji Kirino - Crane Magistrate, Kakita Ryoko master
Doji Aiko - Crane courtier, mother of Doji Kyousuke, Sister to Otomo Okane

Imperials
Otomo Okane - Imperial Magistrate, Doji Kyousuke's Uncle
Seppun Mamoru - Okane's Yojimbo

Crab
Yasuki Yoshito - Crane trader and courtier, Hiruma Shonogen's Grandfather

PCs
Doji Kyousuke - ManWithDoor
Gensai - Hermit
Hiruma Shonogen - Orvost
Iuchi Jun - Graven
Kakita Ryoko - Muskrat

A collection servants and musicians and such.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:30 pm

I'm making a guess here as to what propriety with weapons is.
Ryoko sets her weapons on the rack, not wanting to insult their host or cause trouble with Imperials by holding onto them. And it seemed unlikely this gathering would break out into violence. She waits to see where Kirino seats himself, then sits next to him, trying to position herself between Kirino and either of the armed parties, in case worst came to worst. Once seated, she attempted to appear as if she was examining the art in the room, while actually covertly observing the Hirawara-sama and the Imperials.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 pm

Jun enters the room, having set aside his wakizashi. After thanking his host for the kind invitation, he makes room for the next guest, moving off toward the table, he stops to appreciate the flowers artfully arranged near a pot of tea he hasn't tried before. A cup in hand, he moves to the water colours, cranes are a rare subject in his homelands, though entirely unsurprising here. Not being skilled in these arts, his interest is mostly for politeness, and he makes sure to angle himself to be approachable should anyone be so inclined.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:18 am

Doji Kyousuke moves with well-bred comfort for Courts and formal situations. He respectfully greets his Uncle, cleanly riding the line between the formality appropriate for the situation, and showing off the familiarity granted by the familial link. He keeps any speech to a quiet murmur, allowing the Host to set the tone by what Kyousuke is assuming will be his upcoming opening remarks.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 pm

Having to disarm for a social event was a failure of society: a subtle rudeness and indignity that spoke to the failings of the age in which they lived. The magistrate host who didn't trust his own rumored or boasted swordsmanship against armed guests. Or the imperial family members who didn't trust their own buke warrior-retainers who were sworn to protect them.

Still, laying weapons aside was a common occurrence and Shonogen does so without outward complaint. He finds a stand to hang Urusai on without drawing attention to it. He leaves both swords without a backward glance, confident in the problems that would arise if some mischief should befall that sword in the house of the Crane.

Before Shonogen approaches his host, Hirawara, he studies some of the art panels, noting the artist marks of the various pieces. As he exchanges greetings with Hirawara, he speaks briefly about his impressions of the art display, making sure his ability to speak knowledgeably on the subject is evident.
My Sage ability should give me the requisite lore skill to discuss artist, style, or subject matter.
As he mingles with the other guests, Shonogen stays close to his grandfather and lets him make introductions. When he sees the Crane woman he spent the afternoon with, he points her out to his grandfather and nods a greeting to her when he catches her eye. Seeing her gussied up for a social event makes Shonogen wonder if he should have been more receptive to her feminine wiles.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Ryoko is not actually gussied up. In fact, she's wearing exactly what you saw her wearing before, since that's all she owns.
Ryoko sees Shonogen's gesture and nods in return. She turns to her master and says, "If you will permit me, Kirino-sama, I will move among the guests some. I wish to speak to the Crab." With his permission, she approaches Shonogen, while always working to keep one eye on Kirino. Kirino had mentioned his earlier concerns about Yasuki operating in these lands. Perhaps the Crab would know something. "Good evening, Hiruma-san," says Ryoko. "It is good to see you again." She turns to Shonogen's grandfather, bowing and saying, "I am Kakita Ryoko. I am honored to meet you."