A well-deserved rest

In the town of Amanad, famous for its healing waters, strange things start happening and there seems to be more at work than what meets the eye. Can a group of brave adventurers solve the riddle?

Moderator: Grimbold

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10053
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The lake

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Merisiel throws the daggers she has been juggling at the frog. "Believe me, we're more trouble than we're worth!" she shouts at it. "We don't even taste good!" She draws her rapier and moves to strike the frog with it.
Action 1: Strike: Ranged attack with dagger vs. frog
Action 2: Strike: Ranged attack with dagger vs. frog
Action 3: Interact: Draw rapier

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66367
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The lake

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 25, 2021 3:20 pm

"Speak for yourself Merisiel! I'm a delicious morsel, fit for any monster's gullet!" Carver may be missing the point here as he charges forward axe in hand....
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Grimbold
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10234
Location: Austria
Title: Professor
User Class: Rogue Trader

The lake

Post by Grimbold » Wed May 26, 2021 6:30 am

Carver gets up and picks up his axe from the ground, and moves towards the frog, slashing at it with his axe. He hits it brutally, but the frog skin is thick and it still lives. There is a huge wound in its body, though.

Merisiel quickly pulls out a dagger and flings it, but it goes wide and is stuck in a tree behind the frog, while it is still in the air, she has drawn a second dagger and throws it as well. This time, the aim is better, and it disappears in the beast's gaping mouth, causing it to croak in pain.

The frog then tries to eat his dinner, his wounds making it even more aggressive. It snaps at Carver, but the half orc dodges once and another bite only hits his metal armor, so he is unharmed. Then the frog lashes out with its tongue to entanle Merisiel, but she elegantly dodges the sticky tongue.
Carver: get up, stride, attack (power attack uses two actions, which you do not have left, so just a normal attack).
r18+9=27 vs AC 15. It is 10 above the AC, so a critical hit: Damage: 1d12=3+4=7 times 2 so 14 damage.

Merisiel:
Attack:r2+7=9, miss
Attack: r19 +7-4(second attack, agile)=24. 1d4+4 damage = 8
Draw rapier.

Frog:
Bite Carver r5+8=13 vs AC 20, miss.
Bite Carver r1 +8-5=4 vs 20, miss
Tongue Merisiel r 18-10+8=16 va AC 18, miss.

Frog HP -22
Fumbus, then Carver and Merisiel...

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10053
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The lake

Post by Muskrat » Wed May 26, 2021 7:37 pm

Merisiel closes the distance with the frog and strikes at it with rapier.
Action 1: Stride: Move to melee range with frog
Action 2: Strike: Attack vs. frog with rapier
Action 3: Strike: Attack vs. frog with rapier

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8631
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

The lake

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu May 27, 2021 6:42 pm

Fumbus runs forward and joins in the fray ... hoping he doesn't trip somehow and end up flying head-first into its gaping mouth. Would be just his luck.
Action 1: Stride to melee range. Actions 2 & 3: Attack with Dogslicer.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Grimbold
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10234
Location: Austria
Title: Professor
User Class: Rogue Trader

The lake

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:29 am

Fumbus runs forward and also attacks with his dogslicer, but somehow his swings do not connect. Then Merisiel steps forward, forming a line with Carver and Fumbus, and runs the frog through with her rapier. That is too much for the frog, and it collapese, convulsing for a few seconds before lying still. Now only the sounds of more jungle animals can be heard.

You are still at the beach of the underground island and you can also see the bridge of light connecting the island to the shore (and the terraced city that is there).
Fumbus:
Stride
Attack; r2+6=8 miss
Attack: r5+6-4(agile)=9, miss


Merisiel
Stride
Attack r15 +7=22. hit for 1d6+4=11 damage
dead
Combat ends.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10053
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The lake

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:18 pm

"I told you we were more trouble than we were worth," mutters Merisiel as she looks at the dead frog.

She stands and looks around. "So what next? I mean, this is an interesting development, but I'm not sure if this is getting us nearer our goal or is taking us totally off course."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66367
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The lake

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Carver pulls out his axe, and motions for his companion to recover her dagger.

"There is an underground city here. I think we will have to investigate it at some point right?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10053
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The lake

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:25 pm

Merisiel says, "Well, I'm certainly curious, but we should be cautious. We don't know if they are friendly to outsiders, suspicious, or will lock us up and throw away the key. But I'm not sure we know how to get back to the surface--and they might know. And they might know more about the nest of healing stones. I guess I vote for cautious scouting to start with."

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8631
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

The lake

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:39 pm

"Might be abandoned, for all we know. Although if people are there, if it has any bath houses I'm going to decline this time." His dogslicer may not have been useful in combat, but that doesn't mean it has no use now. The goblin sets up shop next to the giant toad and begins carving off its legs. He's never seen frog legs this big, and he intends to at least get a single feast out of this ordeal.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Post Reply