A well-deserved rest

In the town of Amanad, famous for its healing waters, strange things start happening and there seems to be more at work than what meets the eye. Can a group of brave adventurers solve the riddle?

Moderator: Grimbold

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66367
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:19 pm

Carver chuckles at the bath house joke. "I agree." He offers his butcher cleaver for the frog leg work, a half cocked smile saying he's up for some later.

For now however he looks around, turning in a 360 degree circle sizing up options and choices that the group has.
Can you give us a map? OR a list of options at this point.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Grimbold
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10234
Location: Austria
Title: Professor
User Class: Rogue Trader

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:42 am

With all your skill and expertise, you soon get some decent pieces of meat off the dead frog and that will, if edible, provide you with a large meal.

The volcanic island you are on is big, probably a few miles in diameter.
It seems the whole lake and cavern are larger than you though - I originally wrote "several miles across", I changed that to "many miles across."
Just a few hundred feet from the coast, you notice things, creatures in the water eying you hungrily. Best not go swimming here...
You also notice some rocks a bit up the beach. There are lots of gems on these rocks, gleaming in the diffuse light. You still cannot make out, where the light is coming from.
Perception roll
Merisiel: rolled Nat20 +6=26
Fumbus: rolled 18+3=21
Carver: rolled 3+6=9

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8631
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 am

The goblin only half-asses cleaning off his dogslicer after the butchery, much more interested in wrapping up his meat-loot and hoisting it over a shoulder. Looking around a second, he looks more pensive. "So ... anyone think we're being watched? Like, from the jungle? Really feels like it to me."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10053
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:51 pm

"Yes, we are being watched," says Merisiel. She speaks to the young humanoid woman in green clothing she sees in the bushes, trying both Common and Elven. "Hello, miss. We don't mean any harm. We came here accidentally on a quest. In fact, we would be grateful for help, someone who could act as a local guide."
Diplomacy +2

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66367
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:14 pm

Carver is gazing at the water, he's clueless that anything else is going on. "We really have to decide what to do at this point. I don't feel like we are on course any more." He cleans his cleaver far more than the goblin. Eyes narrowed he gazes out at the far off city.

"Huh?" the others are talking, but not to him or each other, he's a bit confused.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Grimbold
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10234
Location: Austria
Title: Professor
User Class: Rogue Trader

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:32 pm

Merisiel talks to the girl, and now you can all see her, half hidden behind a tree. But as Merisiel talks to her, she relaxes and motions you to move into the jungle. You move into the jungle just enough so you have cover. She speaks Common with a strange, singing accent, but after a few minutes it is easily understandable.
She is a young girl, slender, with a brownish skin, and a green dress made of strange material. She wears her white hair open. She is carrying a bow and some sort of leather shoulder bag.

"My name is Naomi, who are you? And what are you doing here?"

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10053
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:01 pm

Merisiel says, "We come from the surface world, the world above. We're on a quest looking for a nest of healing stones, to renew the healing properties of a spring that feeds water to the world above. A place where people have long gone to heal in the water has lost its power and we want to restore it." She is reluctant to admit that they are completely lost until they know about this girl, her people, and this place.

"Who are your people, Naomi? And what can you tell us about that city over there? Do you know anything about the healing stones for which we look?"

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8631
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:05 am

The alchemist waves a free hand, the other awkwardly but firmly securing a giant frog leg over the opposite shoulder. "I'm Fumbus!" His waving almost tips him over, and he staggers sideways desperately getting his balance back.
Just noticed the change in the Subject heading! :D
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10053
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Meirisel smacks her forehead and adds, "I'm Merisiel."

User avatar
Grimbold
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10234
Location: Austria
Title: Professor
User Class: Rogue Trader

French Fried Frog Legs

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:59 am

"You mean there is another cave above us?" She gasps in disbelief. "The priests would have told us about it." She pauses. "Maybe they are not telling us everything. Or maybe they do not know." She pauses again. "Healing stones? I don't know. Maybe the priests of the Crystal Goddess would know. They say that it is a sign of the Crystal Goddess Sayleene that the water of the lake has turned foul a few days ago. The Goddess is angry and needs more sacrifices to calm her down. There is some sort of merchant coming from somewhere outside of this cave who has dealings with the priests. And since he came, they have wanted more and more sacrifices."

Post Reply