Prologue: Inauspicious Beginning to a Starfleet Career

Stardate 1/9407. The Federation has enjoyed a century of relative peace within its borders. The long and devastating war against the Romulan Star Empire is all but forgotten and the Federation’s border with them remains tense, but stable. The Klingons remain silent as well, perhaps still engrossed in a conflict with the unknown enemy on the far side of their empire. The Federation’s peace-time focus is now on research and exploration, although Tellarites and Andorians argue for a stronger navy of gunships and frigates. The compromise is the new Constitution Class Cruiser. Equipped with the most advanced weaponry and home to state-of-the-art scientific research and medical facilities, these debutants of the fleet can operate for years beyond the logistical support of star bases. It is the dream of every starry-eyed Star Fleet recruit to serve on these ships.
Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Re: Prologue: Inauspicious Beginning to a Starfleet Career

Post by Orvost » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:03 am

Alik:
The tellarite captain of the Maraxle, who had been walking down the corridor with Alik, suddenly stops and puts a hand out to stop Alik as well. He turns to speak with Alik face-to-face:
”You’ll coordinate with my Engineer? Oh, this day just keeps getting better and better!”

He points a stubby finger in Alik’s face. ”You, my human friend, are now my favorite starbase technician.”

The captain laughs and claps Alik on both shoulders. He walks over to a nearby comstation to summon his chief engineer. Alik spares a glance toward his work crew only to find them rolling their eyes, shaking their heads, or glaring at him. His offer to the captain doesn’t seem to sit well with them. Poljos isn’t willing to explain the whys with the captain within earshot, he simply tells Alik, “It’s standard procedure for us to do our work aboard ship without the input or even the presence of the ship’s engineer. It’s a good policy when we can manage it, and I think you’re about to find out why.”

A few minutes later, another tellarite steps off an elevator and walks toward you. He’s dressed casually, as if his shore leave plans planet-side were just cancelled. The captain introduces him: ”This is Lieutenant Orom, my chief engineer. Well, I think you all have much to discuss, and much to do. So I will take my leave.”

The captain walks to the elevator the engineer just stepped off and disappears behind the doors, all the while smiling his big smile and chuckling to himself. Lieutenant Orom picks up where the captain left off, only he’s not nearly as cheerful: ”So you’ve agreed to coordinate your work through me? ‘bout time you saboteurs thought to ask someone who knows what they’re doing. Let me be clear: This is my ship. You may know how to follow the pictures in your assembly manuals and install your canned software, but I know what makes this ship hum. Got it?”

The other members of the work crew look to Alik, waiting for him to answer. They obviously view this new member of the team as Alik’s baggage.

Jacob:
Lt. Commander Carter makes a point of listening to Jacob and talk about the situation with him. It’s hard to tell if the Commander genuinely values Jacob’s input or if he’s simply humoring the junior officer to make him feel part of the team.

“The break-in was deliberate, but I’m not prepared to assume the vehicle breakdown is anything more than a coincidence. If the two are related, then getting the vehicle working again will foil their intent and, as you suggest, may prompt a second attempt. And that only works if we keep the authorities out and we get this earthmover moving again. Well, I think that settles it, then.”

Carter stands and speaks with a loud voice, addressing the whole team:
“Alright team listen up! After careful deliberation we have decided to keep these events to ourselves, for now. We don’t know what we are up against, but I have faith in our combined commitment to this project. Starting tonight, we post guards in this supply cave. Tonight, I’ll stay afterhours, Cadet DeVries will come and relieve me at midnight. I’ll announce tomorrow night’s sentry tomorrow morning. We will rotate this assignment. Everyone will get a turn.”

“Also, we can’t blame the Orion for this situation, but he hasn’t been ruled out as a suspect. Avoid him if you can, but don’t accuse him if you can’t. Report to me anything you hear him say. Don’t say anything about the vehicle not working.”

“Last of all, but first on our priority list, we need to get this vehicle moving again. Since it is fairly new and still under warranty, we will contact the company for help. What’s the manufacturer’s name? Avocado Industrial Industries, or something like that? Anyway, if we are lucky, there is a sale associate nearby. If we are really lucky, there is a company repairman nearby.”

Shur:
Nearly an hour after the Murray incident, Cadet Serao informs Shur that he has an incoming call from starbase security. Certain that his bad day is about to get worse, Shur takes the call only to find it is Cadet Campeador:

“Hey, good news: I’ve been granted increased security clearance so I can help your friend Jacob. Wait, Jacob is Alik’s friend, not yours. Sorry. Anyway, we can check the computer banks this evening and see if my clearance is high enough to find anything new about his ship.”

“I was granted this higher clearance because I was able to convince the security chief that our Orion friend needs to be investigated. So, that’s kind of why I called. I was hoping you had access to a sensor array and would be willing to scan his ship and send me the results.”

“Normally, someone higher ranked than me would ask someone higher ranked than you to do it, but my superior said he has a history with your superior and that I’d be more likely to have my request granted if I asked, especially if I knew someone else at OPS.”

“Between you and me: From what I’ve seen, this whole base is a barely functional collection of carved-out petty fiefdoms, grudges, gossip lines, and pissing contests. The sooner we get out of here, the less likely we get dragged in.”

“So, anyway, do you have access to a scanner and will you do me this favor?”
Shur has access to the sensor array and can scan.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Alik silently curses within the vault of his mind. He'd been trying to be useful in knowing any problems ahead of time, rather than saddling them with some micromanaging engineer who thinks he knows these upgrades better than them. Well, maybe he can salvage the situation while maintaining good relations with the Captain of this ship. Perhaps a mixture of ego-padding and deceit might smooth this all over.

The Cadet pretends he doesn't notice the hostility, simply giving a friendly nod. "Aye, Lieutenant Orom, that's why I asked. Wanted to make sure we know what's special with the girl, so you get the best upgrade possible." He pulls up the schematics of the ship, as well as the technical specs of the improvements on his datapad. "Now I know you've got well-earned shore leave waiting for you, so I won't keep you long. How about you show me what you need while my team gets all the equipment together, and then I can handle everything in your absence?" In general he's hoping to quickly get what info the engineer wants to unload, then send him off satisfied. They get the job done without interference, and the captain and engineer feel heard. A win-win scenario, if he can pull it off.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:39 pm

Jacob listens to Carter's instructions. Hope I haven't gotten rusty with my phaser, he thinks to himself as he heads over to the earth mover. DeVries mind spins through thoughts of whether he made the right call, what could happen if he's wrong, what could happen if he's right, and a palpable sense of actual danger on the horizon. He had expected to feel it exploring a new planet or being on a ship maneuvering in battle, not guarding equipment to ensure that he could continue cataloging the redistribution of cacti varieties in response to increased atmospheric differentiation without issue. He chuckled to himself as he examined the vehicle. Welcome to Starfleet. Expect the unexpected.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:04 am

Alik:
Lieutenant Orom looks at Alik and smiles, as if only now noticing his rank. “I see you’re an officer—just barely. You must not be much of an engineer if the best cadet cruise assignment you could get is pulling this kind of duty on a starbase. Anyway the captain likes you, so I’m supposed to be nice. I’ll make you a deal: There are only two things I want done correctly, you do both of them to my satisfaction and I will be out of your hair. Number one: Any system you primates touch needs to be recalibrated to my specifications—not manufacturer safety recommendations. I repeat: Not manufacturer safety recommendations. Number two: No leaving the job half done. You install new hardware, you finish the hard calibrations and not just the soft calibrations. You don’t cut us loose and expect us to finish your work.”

“If you’re willing to agree to these two terms, I am gone. You lunkheads are free to knock your thick sculls against the bulkheads for all I care.”

Orom stops and waits for Alik to agree to his terms. Mr. Poljos looks like he has much to say, but nothing he’s willing to verbalize in front of the surly tellarite. He simply mumbles something about whatever Alik is willing to sign off on.

Jacob:
Jacob heads over to the earth mover and sees if he can contribute to the effort to get it working again. Everyone leaves the science branch school with a working familiarity with electrical systems, and the gathered group of scientists have already mapped and troubleshot the entire electrical system, including the fusion reactor that powers the contraption. The problem must reside somewhere in the mechanical systems—an area of expertise that nobody on the science team has even a rudimentary knowledge of.
You lack skill in Mechanical Engineering, Ground Vehicle Operation, or anything in your background that would give you specific knowledge about construction equipment.
When Jacob takes his turn with the technical manual, he takes note of the manufacturing company’s name. There is something about the company’s name that seems familiar to him: Ijocado Innovative Industries.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:10 am

Jacob notices the company name. Spacer's shipmate, he thinks to himself. "Sir," DeVries says as he walks up to Carter. "I think one of the new arrivals we met last night is affiliated with the company. I actually believe his family makes this vehicle. He's was assigned to helping with docking on the space station. It's an off chance, but he might be able to use some influence to get that mechanic we need."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:14 am

Alik puts on an affronted expression. "Chief, I may be just a newly minted officer, but I don't leave any job half-done. Besides being a dereliction of duty to Starfleet, I would be insulting the Captain, you, and the rest of the crew. Treating you as though you weren't worth as much as the other ships in the Fleet. I would take offense if that talk came from a lesser engineer than yourself." Laying it on a bit thick, but Tellarites are known for their pride. He is ready to take any specs or other technical information that the Lieutenant has ready to hand over or talk through. "If I have to pull overtime just by myself, you're going to get the best damn upgrade you've damned well seen." Alik is also known for his pride. This is either going to go amazingly or horribly, without much middle ground left.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:56 pm

Jacob:

Lieutenant Commander Carter considers what Jacob told him for a few moments.
“This friend of yours is from that group of cadets who came over last evening? I’d like to be as tight-lipped about the state of this machine as possible, but if what you say is true, I wouldn’t want to pass on an opportunity. Alright, cadet, take the rest of the day off and try to get ahold your friend to find out if he can offer some help. Give me your report when you come back to relieve me at midnight.”

Alik:

Lieutenant Orom gives a self-satisfied nod. “Then it is settled. I’ll leave you alone and you do a full installation and calibration to my specifications. I’ll place a call to the ship and the end of the day to get an update on your progress. Make sure you are here to answer.”

Orom turns and walks toward the elevator, continuing to speak to you over his shoulder.

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some long-overdue shore leave to enjoy.”

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:49 pm

As soon as the Lieutenant is safely onboard the elevator and out of sight, Alik drops his act and heads back to the actually experienced man here. Hopefully most of the rest of the team isn't nearby enough to see him eat crow. "Poljos, I believe I may have just made life more difficult than it absolutely needed to be. The good tellurite engineer has insisted on a full installation and personalized calibrations. In your vastly greater experience versus mine, what have I just gotten us in to?"
Assuming the feedback ain't great, Alik would also try to take as much of the work responsibility on his own shoulders. Such as, "I got us in to this mess, so I don't want the crew to suffer for it. I'll pull double shifts on this to bear the extra workload." That sort of thing.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 am

The other technicians take their cues for how to treat Alik from Poljos. Luckily, Poljos is conciliatory toward Alik.

“Don’t worry about it, sir. That Tellurite captain was looking for an excuse to twist your words to suit him. That’s one reason I try not to interact with starship personnel when I can help it.”

“I have to give credit to that engineer, though: he knew exactly what to expect from us and what to ask for. His first request is easy to explain, at its heart is the reason starship engineers and starbase engineers don’t get along. Ship engineers always have their systems fine tuned to their preferences and always ask us to set new systems to those preferences. We always ignore their requests and follow manufacturer guidelines. The simple reason is to cover our own asses.”

“Imagine this: we upgrade a ship system and send the ship on its way. A few days later they experience a major malfunction. Guess who they automatically try to blame? Us. Guess to takes the blame if we don’t follow manufacturer guidelines? Us. Even if we follow their own directions, it’s our fault if it falls outside manufacturer guidelines. What? You think that Tellurite is going to take the blame when he can easily pass that blame on to you? You think bonding over drinks in the officer’s lounge is going to make him save your career and endanger his? That’s why I told you that you can sign off on it--because I won’t. Once we finish the instillation and set their systems to that engineer’s specifications, you’re going to sign off on it and personally carry the liability for any problems they experience in the next few months.”

“Now, his second request was the one I’m most impressed with. As you know, this new deflector array upgrade is causing a major backlog. The installation takes more than a day. The final process is calibrating the communication system to the captain’s and communication officer’s preferences. We could run that calibration process, but our subjective preferences may not match the preferences of any given ship crew, and they would end up recalibrating and wasting our efforts anyway. For that reason, we have been ‘cutting ships loose’ as the tellurite put it and instructing them to make the final communication calibrations themselves. Sure, a job that takes us between six and eight hours will end up taking them anywhere from twelve to twenty four, depending on the competence of their ship engineers, but as I explained before, they may not like our preferences and the time it saves us really adds up for everyone else waiting in line.”

“But now you’ve agreed to do the final calibrations on this ship. It’s not a job you can do yourself, and I’m not going to make the rest of the team do it. So when we are finished with the installation and the rest of the team goes home, me and you are going to pull an all-nighter to get the calibrations done too. I’ll be on the bridge giving you instructions. You get to make the space walk.”

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:53 pm

DeVries takes his leave of the research team. Making his way back to the station, he considers contacting Shur through the communicator, but decides against it in case someone might be spying. You're being paranoid, Jacob, the officer thinks, but maintains his silence nonetheless. Remembering the new arrival was assigned to the docks, DeVries checks to see when the next shuttle to the orbital station is.