Act I Scene II: Minus Thirteen Hours to Planetfall

Stardate 1/9407. The Federation has enjoyed a century of relative peace within its borders. The long and devastating war against the Romulan Star Empire is all but forgotten and the Federation’s border with them remains tense, but stable. The Klingons remain silent as well, perhaps still engrossed in a conflict with the unknown enemy on the far side of their empire. The Federation’s peace-time focus is now on research and exploration, although Tellarites and Andorians argue for a stronger navy of gunships and frigates. The compromise is the new Constitution Class Cruiser. Equipped with the most advanced weaponry and home to state-of-the-art scientific research and medical facilities, these debutants of the fleet can operate for years beyond the logistical support of star bases. It is the dream of every starry-eyed Star Fleet recruit to serve on these ships.
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:04 am

Alik gasps on the floor of the shuttle, pointing towards where he remembers their last member was floating. Which means absolutely nothing given he was just teleported, and lost all orientation. "Weathers ... still alive ... hitting atmosphere ..."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:43 pm

”Hang in there, April, help is on the way!”

Serao calls over the comms system, then rips her helmet off with a spray of perspiration. Her antennae flex up after being folded against her head for so long. She calls to the forward compartment:

”Miles, listen to Alex, we can still get her!”

Serao pulls Alik into a seated position. It looks like she is bracing to either help him stand or lift him up. With the reintroduction of gravity, Alik becomes keenly aware of the limits of his locomotion due to his leg. He also notices Serao is using everyone’s first name, which seems out of character for her.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:56 pm

Alik first thinks to check his leg, making sure nothing got loosened from the transport. He didn't survive hours in vacuum just to bleed out here in the shuttle.

He likewise takes off his helmet, now that they have real air to breathe. "Any problem with finding her? If you need me to man some controls or fiddle with the equipment, I'm sure Serao can drag me into position." He tries for a smile, but it is weak at best.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:24 am

For the first time, Campeador acknowledges his new passengers.

“I see her on the sensors. Not sure I can get her. Have you tried transporting a moving target? They don’t teach that in the academy. It was all I could do to pick up the two of you. Had to override some safety protocols.”

As Alik pulls off his helmet, a shower of perspiration falls from his head. The stuffy air of the shuttle is fresh compared to the recycled, tank air he has been breathing and Alik takes a few deep breaths. He looks down at his leg. Flexing his knee is causing pain, but the seals and tourniquet seem to be holding.

Serao puts her arm under Alik’s arm and around his back. She bumps hips with him and uses that leverage to hoist him up. Alik’s pain from the effort is acute, but manageable. She is basically carrying him, though it looks like she is only helping him walk. Its slower going, but more dignified than if she were carrying him cradled in her arms which, honestly, she probably could do.

The two of them walk toward the front of the shuttle, to the control panel and the one empty seat next to Campeador. After a few steps, Serao stops and swivels Alik to face her. She brings her free hand to the side of Alik’s face, then plants a kiss on his lips. As she pulls away, she looks in his eyes and whispers:

”You were my rescuer. The voice of comfort in the darkness.”

As she looks into Alik’s eyes to gauge his reaction, her moment is interrupted by Campeador, who continues to be oblivious to what is happening behind him.

“Damn it! I can’t get her. Say, do you mind joining me up front? I’ve got another idea, but it’s probably going to take all three of us.”

Suddenly self-conscious, Serao turns Alik and her gaze forward and continues moving toward the cockpit. She sets Alik into the empty seat and hovers close to the control panel in case she is needed.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:20 pm

Alik is now off-balance in even one more way. For a long moment he might as well be frozen in time, then he starts to blush and a small smile begins forming on his lips. His eyes are wide in wonder.

A second later Campeador's words get through, and he looks forward. He urgently gestures for Serao to help him up to the front. "Yes, yes of course. On my way. Sound off your instructions, we're here to support."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:45 pm

Campeador starts speaking quickly:
“I didn’t realize this old cargo shuttle had been refitted with a new transporter pad. When I went looking, my plan was to don an EV suit, depressurize the cabin, open the cargo bay and catch you. Since I can’t get the transporter to lock on Weathers, I say we go back to my original plan. Only now we do it in high atmosphere and I don’t have time to put a suit on. It was going to be tricky in open space, it’s going to be absolutely crazy in atmospheric free-fall. We accelerate to her position, slow to match her speed, open the bay, and catch her out of the air. Probably won’t work. May tear the shuttle apart and kill all of us too.”

“When we open the cargo bay, all life support contingencies are gone. The cabin depressurizes and artificial gravity turns off. I’m not in a suit, so I don’t know what happens to me. I need someone here to pilot the shuttle in case I become … ineffective. One of you at the controls, the other playing catcher at the bay. You’ll need to put your helmets back on and seal your suits.”

In the few moments it takes Campeador to explain the situation, the shuttle has covered the distance separating you from Weathers. A shudder runs through the shuttle and it starts bucking as your speed and trajectory begin to meet resistance from the atmosphere.

Campeador’s plan sounds desperate (even cockamamie), but what other option is there?

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:01 am

"Hopefully a good surprise as well, but my suit is equipped with a deployable ... grapple, I suppose. I was able to reach out and tether Serao that way, but Weathers got too far away. So I can start shooting it out once we're in range, rather than solely waiting to grab with our hands."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:24 am

Serao seems to disagree with what Alik is suggesting:
”You’re in no condition to do anything but sit where you are. I’ll play catcher.

Campeador tries to quash any prolonged debate:
“I don’t care who does what. You need to get in position. We’re just passing her now.”

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:16 am

"Fine, you're primary, I'm backup. As long as I'm facing the rear and buckled in, I can shoot the grapple and the mechanism will do the rest of the work for me. You'll go for the catch, but if that doesn't work I'll shoot out the line as a last resort."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:19 am

Serao hesitates for a moment as she considers what to do, then she turns and sprints back to the teleport pad to retrieve their helmets. Forgotten in her haste is that she affixed her tether line to Alik hours ago and the two haven’t been parted since. Now as she strides to exceed its distance, the line stretches taut and almost lifts Alik out of his seat. Serao curses to herself and releases to lock on her line so she can extend it farther out. When she gets to the teleporter pad, she shouts to get Alik’s attention and chucks his helmet forward. It rebounds off the floor, against the side of the control console, and onto Alik’s lap.

As she reseals her helmet, Campeador turns to Alik and shouts, so both can hear him:

“We can’t wait any longer. Secure yourselves so we can open the cargo bay door!”