Act I Scene II: Minus Thirteen Hours to Planetfall

Stardate 1/9407. The Federation has enjoyed a century of relative peace within its borders. The long and devastating war against the Romulan Star Empire is all but forgotten and the Federation’s border with them remains tense, but stable. The Klingons remain silent as well, perhaps still engrossed in a conflict with the unknown enemy on the far side of their empire. The Federation’s peace-time focus is now on research and exploration, although Tellarites and Andorians argue for a stronger navy of gunships and frigates. The compromise is the new Constitution Class Cruiser. Equipped with the most advanced weaponry and home to state-of-the-art scientific research and medical facilities, these debutants of the fleet can operate for years beyond the logistical support of star bases. It is the dream of every starry-eyed Star Fleet recruit to serve on these ships.
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:06 am

As Weathers sobs, tears start down Alik's cheeks as well. He's managed to keep a brave face on and his nerves intact, but he's not made of stone. They all almost died terrible deaths, and only by a mixture of luck and providence managed to just scrape by. He'll probably have nightmares of this day for a long time to come. Especially once his subconscious digs through all the ways he could have died. Bleeding out from his lost foot or the suit patch not working and him asphyxiating would have been the quick ones. Slow suffocation or burning re-entry were the future eventualities. And then other scenarios such as surviving, but failing to save the others. Or his rescue efforts going horribly wrong, his launched anchoring line somehow puncturing Serao's suit, killing her as he tries to save her. Those will be terrible nights to live through. But at least he will live.

He doesn't make a big deal about Serao not going in for a hug, giving her a wan smile as he shakes her hand. "Right, right Campeador. We get it. We're not squeaky clean Cadets anymore." One hand keeps up the hug with Weathers, while the other checks their course and heading is still correct. "So what the devil happened to the ship? How is the rest of the crew?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:33 am

Campeador’s face darkens. He helps ease Weathers into his seat and checks Alik’s programmed heading before he answers.

“The explosion was in main security. You passed through it on the way to the dish. Made a bloody mess of the place. Pieces of colleagues I’d only known for a day. I was there to see you guys off, then I had duties elsewhere. I missed it by only a few minutes. Of course, it gave everybody else on the ship a good rattle. Casualties all over the ship, but nothing like in security. Medical must be overwhelmed. Engineering has some long shifts ahead. Security, as an organization, doesn’t exist anymore.”

Campeador is silent for a moment before he continues:

“I suggested, then volunteered, to send the shuttle out to record a close-up view of the external damage. Your mission became a forgotten afterthought post-explosion. We sensed a scattering of tools and a boot containing human remains. We assumed you were dead. After I took the necessary readings in the shuttle and transmitted them to engineering, I left to look for you. Just followed the direction the blast likely sent you. I didn’t exactly have permission to go. I’m probably in trouble when we get back. I hope that preventing the Commodore from loosing half his cadet class on their first day of duty will mitigate the punishment I’m in for.”

In a few short minutes the shuttle is in docking approach with the Pas-de-Calais.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:32 am

Alik silently processes the news. He hadn't really connected with anyone outside of the new Cadets, so he only feels professional rather than personal grief. Still, this is an absolute disaster.

"... with how paranoid the Commodore is about security, this is almost beyond belief. An explosion in main security would have been the last place I would have guessed." He adjusts himself in the seat, trying to lessen his leg pain. "If it helps, I was able to get in brief contact with the nearby Vulcan colony while getting ready to fall on them. They wanted us out of their orbit, so I asked them to complain to the Vulcan High Command or Starfleet itself about our presence. Well, and explained our situation. So whether out of altruism or annoyance, I gave them reason to get another ship here to deal with us."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:47 am

Campeador suggests that Alik mention his communication with the Vulcans of Calsa to whichever command officer debriefs him.

The last time Alik saw the Pas-de-Calais (almost nine hours ago), there were fires burning uncontrolled in the bottom of the saucer, and the new deflector dish was hanging at an odd angle. As the shuttle approaches for docking, Alik can see the fires are gone but the dish is still askew. He can see about a dozen figures in engineering suits moving like insects on the outside of the ship as they affect repairs. Some of them turn and wave as the shuttle closes in.

Once docked, the four cadets slowly make their way to the medical station, arm-in-arm supporting Alik and Weathers with their injuries. The medical station looks like a war zone. There is blood and grime everywhere and the place smells like burnt human flesh. Chief Medical Officer Vogelsang is eight hours into a ship-wide medical emergency. Having efficiently triaged wounded personnel as they came in, the most severe cases have already been treated and are convalescing in their quarters. When the cadets arrive, the severity of their injuries compared with the injuries still waiting to be treated puts them to the front of the line. Weather’s injuries are severe and she’s lucky to be alive. Serao’s injuries are similar to Weather’s, but her size and native Andorian physique have helped her cope. The extent of Alik’s injuries would have killed most people and Vogelsang expresses shock that Alik survived. The Doctor is brutally efficient in his treatment of Alik’s leg. Expeditious takes precedent over comfort as he isolates and preserves as many nerves as he can to maximize the wetware integration of a future prosthetic. The process is extremely painful and leaves Alik exhausted.

As post-op Alik is waiting on a stretcher to be taken to his quarters to rest and recover, Commodore Singh arrives to check in on the reclaimed space-walkers. He visits with the doctor and the other cadets before he comes over to Alik holding his medical chart.

”Well, Cadet Craig, it seems you have lost 4% of your body mass on your first day on duty. I hope you write home soon because, at this rate, there won’t be anything left of you by the time your cadet cruise comes to an end.”

The Commodore pats the place on the stretcher where Alik’s absent foot should be, then he leaves. Alik is left wondering if the Commodore meant his statement as a joke.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Epilogue

Post by Orvost » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:51 am

Chapter Epilogue:

Campeador doesn’t get in trouble for taking the shuttle without permission and rescuing the space walking cadets. If the Commodore or Commander prosecute him, they would look bad for abandoning the cadets. So they change the official narrative: Campeador was acting under their orders. That way they didn’t abandon the cadets and Campeodor is a hero for saving them. Everybody looks good.

The security chief died in the explosion and Campeador is nominally acting security chief. He isn’t well liked by the remaining security personnel because they simply don’t know him and he abandoned his post to go fly around looking for his officer buddies when he was needed most aboard ship.

Campeador confides in his fellow cadets that the Orion slave woman aboard ship wasn’t in her cell after the explosion. It is unlikely that she was vented into space. More likely she is eluding capture and using her talents to ingratiate herself to certain crew members to survive until she can escape the ship. An extensive sensor sweep could easily locate her, but damage to the deflector dish knocked out onboard sensors too.

Campeador is in charge of the investigation into the cause of the explosion. When Alik shares his suspicion that the explosion aboard the Pas-de-Calais and the catastrophic explosion of the Kingfisher trading ship back at Starbase 11 are related, Campeador takes interest and will make inquiries into the cargo of the Kingfisher once communications are back online. We will revisit this in the next chapter.

When Alik is debriefed about his ill-fated space walk and near death by planetfall, he shares his conversation with the Inhabitants of Calsa. Shortly thereafter, the Commodore and the Vulcan chief engineer take the shuttle toward the planet Calsa and are gone for a few hours.

Serao visits Alik after he has had time to rest. She tries to explain her actions aboard the shuttle, basically feeling out whether he is open to pursuing a romantic relationship with her.

Alik has three options to choose from for his prosthetic foot:
Choice 1: The cosmetic one. This foot is meant to look and act as near as possible to the original. Most people won’t notice you have an artificial foot unless you take it off in front of them or they take a close look at the seem where foot and leg connect.
Choice 2: The worst of both worlds/the best of both worlds. This foot tries to mesh form and function. You will walk with a limp and anyone seeing your naked foot will know it’s fake. But it will be more durable and strong than the original.
Choice 3. The cyborg. This foot is obviously a mechanical replacement. Your foot is like a moon boot with a knee brace. You don’t just have a limp, you have an entirely different gait and the servos in your heel make a constant whirring noise when in motion. This replacement will let you perform greater feats of athleticism like running or jumping.
If there are any other lose ends you have questions about, let me know.

ManWithDoor

Epilogue

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:30 pm

Alik as an engineer is intrigued by the idea of a mechanically improved foot, but given the trauma of the situation (both physically and externally), he doesn't think making any big changes to his own body without a long period of thought would be wise. So for at least the moment he will stick with the cosmetic replacement and contemplate cybernetic enhancements on a more long-term basis.

One thing he has no objection to exploring now, however, is Serao's romantic advances. If it was just a heat-of-the-moment kind of thing he would be kind and not push anything or make things uncomfortable. But if she meant it still after the fact, he is very much interested.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Epilogue

Post by Orvost » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:31 pm

Please see, and post in, new act here: https://www.dicefellowship.org/viewtopi ... 029&t=9594