Request? Idea? PM emails

This forum is for descriptions of new site features and information about the site in general. This is also the place to discuss new site ideas.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Request? Idea? PM emails

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Yep. I know. I have nearly everyone (who PMs me) email in my address book, filed under gamername/username :)

Couldn't you just use the replyto parameter of the mail object? I'm not familiar with this forum setup or language (somewhat familiar with PHP for WordPress stuff, but not expert), but that's a common parameter in most languages for mail objects/classes.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:43 pm

We could, but there's a couple of problems with that.

First and most importantly, Email is a protected field which users can choose not to display to other user. Adding it to the replyto would destroy this protection.

Second, I would prefer that replies to PMs were PMs, so I'd like to make it so that when you reply to your PM notification, it returns to our system and generates a private message as if you had replies from the site. This way, the original sender gets email notifications or not depending on his forum preferences.

This is certainly possible to do. it's just a matter of "is it worth the effort?" That's the question I'm looking into.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:03 pm

I don't think it's worth the effort. :)

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:20 am

Minor improvement request.

Is it possible to convert the forum codes used within PMs to HTML when sending out the PM emails? Right now, it appears to be removed and only plain text is sent.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:56 am

I'll have a look at it next hack weekend. should be possible. right now, it doesn't send HTML emails, just text. I may have to put an email type preference into the profile settings, which will take more work.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:30 am

The Watched Thread email has hyperlinks, so I thought that outgoing email might be HTML enabled. If it's too much trouble, then it's probably not worth it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:10 am

Pm button on mobile site for users posts!!!!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring