Taking some of the burden of of bren

This forum is for descriptions of new site features and information about the site in general. This is also the place to discuss new site ideas.
Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Taking some of the burden of of bren

Post by Bitom » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:38 pm

...and putting it on your web browser.

The 'watched topic bug' has been with us since the port to Dragonfly and we still haven't got the faintest idea what's causing it. It has happened to many of us with no apparant predictable nature. it is the #2 bug on Bren's plate after the Read/unread indicators. But as most of you know, Bren has been mostly consumed by RL and the other three admins have been running the site alone for a few weeks now.

However, I have just attended a class which shows me how insanely easy it is to set up RSS feeds. With a few weeks work, I think I could set up a script that would create a feed for every thread. We could then get rid of the buggy watched topic emails altogether, and make use of the feeds, which are supported by both Firefox and IE7, but not IE6.

The question becomes, would anyone use it?
Last edited by Bitom on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Taking some of the burden of of bren

Post by TetNak » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:41 pm

Maybe you could explain RSS feeds and what they do?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:56 pm

Easiest way to understand is to look at the news feeds in my.yahoo pages or personal google or look at the "Latest headlines" dropdown that firefox has. These are all subscriptions to RSS feeds published by the various news agencies. We have one as well that allows you to subscribe to the news items from the main page. (to give it a shot, click on the little orange box that looks like this: Image on the right-hand side of the navagation bar in firefox.

I could set up feeds so that you could subscribe to individual threads. It would not be able to distinguish which threads you have read and not read, but it could list the last post to your subscribed threads so you could keep up with what's going on, and if someone has posted since you.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:41 am

Yeah and most browsers Firefox and MSIE7, RSS is integrated into the browser. You could also use a RSS Reader, etc. I work with them a bit at work and a lot at home (for blogs, etc.).

I'd like to see a my favorites RSS, if you get time for it. You could just set the pub date to the last post's datetime, so you'd get the threads in most recent order.