Make main forum listing shorter?

This forum is for descriptions of new site features and information about the site in general. This is also the place to discuss new site ideas.

Poll: Create sub-forums?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:02 pm

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 5

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Sub Forum Headings

Post by TetNak » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:28 am

People only hate how I run my games if they dislike sexy android robot hookers. And who hates that?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:35 am

od wrote:Aynway, my only complaint about the current setup is that I'm not sure we should have the first break down, by system. I'd find it alot nicer if we started by setting.
We actually had something similar to that at one point in time -- well, at least a trial of it.

For a hint of what that would look like, check out the two screenshots in the spoilers of this post:
https://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/v ... .html#8947

Taking a look at those screenshots will tell you the reason it is setup the way it is now.
od wrote:The way it is now works for most purposes except at a glance knowledge of what forums have new posts.
At one point in time, I was actually working on putting the white or yellow 'new post' thread indicators (the ones that show up when looking at a forum right next to the threads) next to the subforums in the listing under their parent forum. I think Twilightling actually suggested it at one time (earlier in this thread, I think -- either this thread or the other one I linked to in this post).

I never finished that up though, because that is when things got busy. Once I catch back up with everything and get things flowing smoothly, I can take another look at doing that though. It might be visible in some manner on the beta site, but I don't have the time to check it out right now.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:29 pm

I'm not sure that feature is worth while.
Maybe it would help a bit it lets you view 2 depths at once from a single screen. Rather than just the current depth, but since most non-d20 are depth 2, non-Vworld d20 at depth 3, and all of vWorld at depth 4...I dunno. I think I'd need 1 less click/screen to get full information since the default view is depth 1.

Actually, what I'd LOVE is a summarized tree version of new posts (this is asking alot).

Though, really it's just a few database queries and a new page...hmmm what are the boards written in?

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:37 pm

Lets get then unread flag bug fixed first *Glares at Bren*

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:57 am

od wrote:Though, really it's just a few database queries and a new page...hmmm what are the boards written in?
If you provide something, we could tack it in somewhere.

Whole site is written in PHP.
Bitom wrote:Lets get then unread flag bug fixed first *Glares at Bren*
Hehe. Eventually, I'll get back to it. My TODO list is finally getting shorter now that I've switched jobs (and yes, site backend work is on that TODO list).
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+