Suggestions to make Brennor's RPG Corner better

This forum is for descriptions of new site features and information about the site in general. This is also the place to discuss new site ideas.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Suggestions to make Brennor's RPG Corner better

Post by Shurijo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:43 am

I'd like to see an integrated map component. I'm not familiar with php, but I think it could be done pretty easy. Something like this:

gm uploads map and avatar images
gm clicks on map to place avatars
as combat evolves, gm just clicks on map to move the position of the avatars, or delete avatars, add new ones, etc.

could render the map by just using css positioning of the avatars over the map image

would need to store the avatar filename and x,y coords in file, but that's about it. wouldn't need to get too fancy.

Kilroy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilroy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:36 am

This site is pretty good, but kinda cluttered. Some old threads should be moved to archive. I would say anything older then a year should be archived if not active.

Also, there are pages full of inactive "members". We should either try to email them to get them back, or delete them. 6 months without posting should be the cut-off. 0 posts should be under the 2 month rule.
"If at first you DO succeed, try not to look surprised!"

Kilroy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilroy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:25 am

I just thought of a new feature for the Member section!!

If someone knows anything about graphics and maps, we can post a map of the world and "peg" where our various members live. This can help with carpooling for Brencon and helps us "see" where our members are at.

Just an idea, boredom has really gotten to me lately!!

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Is there any way to include buttons for
and so on when replying to a message?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:36 pm

We do look at this thread, thank you guys for your input. I believe any personal map component isn't going to be high priority, some people prefer not to show where they live RL. The idea to put the buttons for the spoiler options on the reply is on the Todo list, Brennor just hasn't gotten a chance Todo it yet. Integrated IC map compoent would be neat Shurijo, I'm not sure how feasable it is for your two coders (B & B) to get working, but we'll check into it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kilroy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilroy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:36 am

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about the whole privacy issue.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Status of the Site

Post by sempai » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 pm

here is a minor tweak that might help a bit. We always are pushing people to go to "about our games" and the "Master games list"

Master Game list tweaks:

what if in the master games list we add one more "field".

"started date"

How about a field for "synopsis" or possibly a link to the forum?

This will give new people the idea of the longevity of our games, and will see how "serious we are"

about our games new sticky:

what about a sticky that says "so you want to play a game", we have one for game masters... but new players should have an instant "read" that can explain to them that we are mega cool, love PM's etc. We can explain how they have a starter game they can get in asap, or link them to the master games list.

in the sticky we could explain our protocols, our posting expectations, and how often people here post. We can explain that most of our game masters follow certain guidelines, and that we expect our players to do the same.

My assumption is that most people that are looking to play online that come across our site, make a post, look around then move to another site. If you don't grab them immediately someone else might.

If the moderators would like I would draft this "sticky" as i think it would help. (it would have helped me when i joined)

Anyhow... this is just my 2 cents feel free to /bitchslap me.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:10 am

Yes, please do, Sempai. It may be edited from what you draft up, but I you'll find (actually, I believe you already have) that the admin staff here at this site is very open to new ideas from everyone on the site -- we just don't have time to implement everything ourselves.

If you write something up and post it here, and the majority of people seem to think it'll actually help, we'll put it somewhere useful. I'd really like to hear what other newcomers to the site thing about the post and where it should go, as well.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Have a look how these guys do it. I think we should come up with something similar!
http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=1698.0

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:56 pm

I don't know if this is technically feasible but I assume it should be:
So what about sending each member that newly signs up an automated PM or E-mail that gives out lots of handy links and a sort of welcome and introduction to the site, that way people could easily avoid the initial confusion.
Big Pimpin...