Suggestions to make Brennor's RPG Corner better

This forum is for descriptions of new site features and information about the site in general. This is also the place to discuss new site ideas.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Suggestions to make Brennor's RPG Corner better

Post by TetNak » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:23 am

I was actually meaning #2.

Basically, if you've been playing in a game for the requisite amount of time and want to run a game, you are qualified to do so.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:25 am

So doesn't that mean you meant interpretation # 1, since you have to be playing in a game for the requisite amount of time (one month) first, before running a game?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:28 am

I was saying it might be possible to allow a new player or GM in this case, such as Lawson to come into the Learner Game section and run a game without being on the site for a month.
Basically, if you've been playing in a game for the requisite amount of time and want to run a game, you are qualified to do so.
This just means that anyone that plays in a game can run a game without restrictions so long as they are approved by the admins.

Does that make sense?

This would allow people who are GMs and do not prefer to play to get started without making them act as a player.

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:32 am

That makes sense. From your earlier exchange with Lawson I got a little confused.

Then the earlier exchange should be interpreted to mean that people should seek to have a consistent, involved presence on the site, not just a 'pop in and out from time to time' sort of presence.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:57 am

Yes. I'd describe it as "presence involved in a game." After all, we are looking to see what kind of RPer you are, not what sort of chatter you are! ;)

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:26 am

Ha, an excellent point! :D

Lawson
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lawson » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:22 pm

TetNak wrote:That's definitely a cool profile. However, we typically actually require someone to /play/ in a game for a month, just not be around the site every once in a while.
Well, I am not interested in joining any of the games here. I'm current playing in two long-running games, and that's about my limit. :)

So . . . let me know what you decide. I'm easy going. If you decide that DMs have to be players first, it won't hurt my feelings. 8)

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sun May 09, 2010 9:52 pm

I just saw this and found it interesting: On the paizo forums, you can get an alias, so in a specific game the information given next to your message is your character's name and your character's image. They call it "alias" there.

(look here: http://paizo.com/people/SarvusTrask/profile)

I think this would lead to more immersive roleplaying as you might forget the "person behind the character". But I guess this is technically very difficult or impossible here. I just wanted to mention it. (Hope you understand what I mean).

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Mon May 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Grimbold wrote:I just saw this and found it interesting: On the paizo forums, you can get an alias, so in a specific game the information given next to your message is your character's name and your character's image. They call it "alias" there.
Yep! Know exactly what you mean. That type of functionality was planned way back when the site started, I just haven't found time to even try to begin to implement it. I'm not sure it will be implemented yet.

I've actually never seen it in practice anywhere, so may have to go check out the Paizo forums to see it in action. When you post there, do it offer a dropdown to the left of the posting box to select the character to post as? That's the way I was originally going to implement it.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Mon May 10, 2010 6:08 pm

I've seen that kind of system used in a smaller German forum, they had numerous different characters/avatars for each player and had dropdown lists when making a new post to chose the character you wanted to post with. The available entries depended on the subforum in which you wanted to post, and had to be created or at least approved by the group moderator/GM.

Clever idea, overall, but I personally think implementing it is more trouble than it's worth. It doesn't really add to the immersion for me.