RPG corner mobile

This forum is for descriptions of new site features and information about the site in general. This is also the place to discuss new site ideas.
Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

RPG corner mobile

Post by Bitom » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:13 am

I've just completed work on a new version of the site front end for those of us with web-ready phones. This site is designed for web phones such as the blackberry and iPhone. To access the site from your phone, go to http://mobile.brennor.dyndns.org

Naturally, I posted this from my iphone.
Last edited by Bitom on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: RPG corner mobile

Post by Bitom » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:28 am

Now back on my computer where I have a full-sized keyboard:

RPGmobile has a few differences:
  1. It's just the forums: if you want to see all the other stuff on the site, you'll still need to go to the normal URL.
  2. Almost no images. The whole point of this addition is to provide a stripped-down front-end that won't crowd smaller screens and will load quickly over a non-broadband connection. As such, I've stripped out every image that I wouldn't have to hack the codebase to get rid of. About all you're going to get is the quote button and edit button, plus anything that's been inserted into a post with an img tag. (So you WILL get maps, but you WON'T get avatars)
  3. No attachments. One thing that just didn't work with the small screen is the attachment system, so if someone posts something that way, you won't see it on mobile. We don't use this feature much, though.
  4. No Poll creation. Sorry. it just took up too much space. Polls themselves will break the layout, I just discovered, so I'll see what I can do to fix that.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks for all the hard work on getting http://mobile.brennor.dyndns.org up and running, Bitom! :)
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:07 am

Thanks. I'll be updating my mobile bookmarks.

Is it possible to put some code in the root page to redirect to the mobile domain if the browser's user_agent var has blackberry or windows mobile, etc. keywords in the value?

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:49 pm

Shurijo wrote:Is it possible to put some code in the root page to redirect to the mobile domain if the browser's user_agent var has blackberry or windows mobile, etc. keywords in the value?
Yes, it is possible. The only problem with that is that the UserAgent check would end up being done on EVERY page load of the site, just to redirect the mobile browsers.

While it'd be nice, I already get enough complaints about how slow the site is, even without something that tries to parse a huge string every time a page load is requested.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+