Stepping down

This forum is for descriptions of new site features and information about the site in general. This is also the place to discuss new site ideas.
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Stepping down

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Wow...I've only just joined (Sept) but sad to see, and thankful it's not just disappearing!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:00 pm

Blubbo_Baggins wrote:Wow...I've only just joined (Sept) but sad to see, and thankful it's not just disappearing!
We should all thank Shurijo for that. He's done a lot of work in the past few weeks to make this happen.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:02 pm

TetNak wrote:
Blubbo_Baggins wrote:Wow...I've only just joined (Sept) but sad to see, and thankful it's not just disappearing!
We should all thank Shurijo for that. He's done a lot of work in the past few weeks to make this happen.
Save any thanks for me until we're on the new site :)

I also want to just say a big thanks to Brennor and Bitom (and other Admins) who made a great site and help build a great community of players. We're not the largest pbp RPG site out there, but we have a good group of players, GMs, and admins that I'm glad to call my friends.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:13 pm

I've only played with you a little I think, but I'm still sad to see you go. And thanks for hosting the site for so long and trying to ensure there's a transition that enables its future existence.

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:26 pm

Does the new site support embeds on posts?
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:48 pm

brunotr wrote:Does the new site support embeds on posts?
What type of embeds?

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:28 pm

SVGs, applets, WebGL, those kinds of stuff. I don't know if other forum do. I just want to know if they are supported or if the GMs are limited to images.
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:40 pm

brunotr wrote:SVGs, applets, WebGL, those kinds of stuff. I don't know if other forum do. I just want to know if they are supported or if the GMs are limited to images.
We could do it. Brennor could do it here. I'm not sure there's a need/demand for it. If enough people needed it and there wasn't any security issues, then I don't see why not as long as it's vetted via the admins with pros/cons.

SVGs shouldn't be a problem. Applets and WebGL requires browser plug-ins/addons. While technically possible, I'm just not sure if there'd be a big enough demand for it. If there's a good justification, then we (admins/mods) can look into it.

There's nothing technically preventing us from doing it here or there, but every thing like that has it's ups/downs and mostly in regards to security, exploits, etc.

Once we get moved, we'll have another "how can we improve this site" thread. The suggestions will be vetted on demand, complexity, labor/time, skills needed to code, etc.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:09 am

brunotr wrote:SVGs, applets, WebGL, those kinds of stuff. I don't know if other forum do. I just want to know if they are supported or if the GMs are limited to images.
That is definitely possible. Shurijo already answered the other part of it. They are disabled here because they required plugins. It was easier to keep everyone from using SVGs than having to deal with funky svg plugin brokenness with IE6. IE6 still had a significant userbase when that decision was made though.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:35 am

Thanks for handling the site as long as you did. I have made a lot of good friends here and I appreciate it!