Chapter 4: Red Blades

After Order 66, few Jedi dare to venture outside the shadows—rumors of the dark and terrible Darth Vader haunting even their waking moments. Yet, some Jedi find this life of fear unbearable. The Empire is always watching, and Vader himself is eager to confront any Jedi that might bring him closer to the whereabouts of his betrayer, Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 04, 2021 5:03 pm

Shoshannah said, "Then I think it would be best if we have the current crew train us on how we will be expected to act and that we take their place."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu May 06, 2021 5:47 pm

Master Tan smiles and nods at Shoshannah's suggestion. The Jedi Master hands her a datapad showing a map and coordinates of the transport company on Alderaan. "The rocks depart here tomorrow and arrive on Alderaan the day after. They'll depart Alderaan to Mustafar later that same day. You can take the same transport to Alderaan and Mustafar as the rocks, if you like."
As far as the journey, we'll say that Master Tan will be in your ship awaiting any instructions for a pick up. Mustafar is a lot closer to where you're at now than Alderaan, so the rocks are almost making a full circle to avoid Mustafar from tracking their source. We'll skip over the training you and the trip once I know who is going and who is staying. I'd like anyone who's active to speak up and specifically say they are going -- either collect/pack their things or prepare to depart, etc. Also, what gear and weapons they are taking with them and what they are leaving behind.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 pm

Shoshannah says, "I've always been a bit of a world-hopper, so I can easily be packed and ready to go by then. One thing that came up on our last trip--we discovered it would have been good if we had a repurposed nurse or protocol droid to look after Hedala while Janos and I were going into situations where it wouldn't be advisable to bring her. As it was, we had to rely on the kindness of strangers of dubious trustworthiness. I assume the younglings will not be coming with us this trip, since that would look very suspicious, but it's something to think about for future missions when they do accompany us. Perhaps there are some droids here that could be re-assigned for that purpose."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri May 07, 2021 8:07 pm

"I'm more of a mechanic than a programmer, so repurposing a droid is beyond me. If you needed some tools or limb attachments specialized, that more sounds my skill level." He considers. "I can very convincingly be on board as an engineer, because it isn't even a lie."
I'll have to leave behind my lightsaber and Jedi Commander armor. So just my axe and 'heavy clothes'. I should invest in getting some more mundane armor that won't draw a target on my forehead, but something better than heavy clothing.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat May 08, 2021 2:39 pm

"I'm definitely coming. I'm more or less like as Master Granite. In the war, I focused on combat and using my talents for hiding to stage ambushes. I've led soldiers before... I should just pose as one of the laborers. I can find what we're look for quickly and quietly. I can crumble most or all of the rocks by myself that way."

"AZI's a medical droid. Can he take care of the younglings?"
Uri will leave behind his Jedi commander armor, the holocrons, his spare lightsabers, his lightsaber maintenance kit, and his Jedi utility belt if it's clearly marked with faction insignia or colors that can't be removed. Pretty much the only thing he'll bring that screams "Jedi" is Master Drash Caitken's lightsaber, for defense.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon May 10, 2021 1:55 am

"I'm in too, but I can't see leaving behind my lightsaber," Janos says slowly. "I may be able to reprogram a droid for Hedala later as well, we'll see. That should be pretty basic programming. No time now, however."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon May 10, 2021 8:04 pm

Shoshannah thought about the lightsaber for a moment and said, "I find myself more reluctant to leave it behind than I thought, because of the symbolism--but I have a combat knife I can bring instead. And I never had much combat training anyway."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue May 11, 2021 1:38 pm

Feel free to do whatever your character would do.

OOC - You're going to Mustafar and the chapter is titled "Red Blades," so there's a hint of what you might run into there...
Hours before they depart, Master Tan folds his Jedi robe and carefully places it atop his bunk. Along with the others, they don attire to disguise themselves as laborers, pilots, a foreman, a mechanic, and an administrators.

Jedi Knight Janos takes all of the improvised costumes and disguises from the Zillo's Shadow, the Jedi Temple starship. However, those aren't enough to cover the entire group. So they supplement the outfits with uniforms from the local miners, technicians, geologists, and archeologists. Some opt to wear googles, helmets, or breathers to mask their faces. Others wrap scarves around their head and neck.

Walking up the ramp to the transport ship, the Jedi say goodbye to the two younglings who stay behind with the Polis Massa Research technicians. Tomas and Hedala attempted to talk their way into coming along with either ship, but after a long day of discussion, Master Tan was able to convince them to stay behind and work on their youngling training.

As a surprise and a treat, Master Tan revealed that he and Master Nu created two holocrons with various Jedi teachings. Before Jedi Master Jocasta Nu departed, she and Master Tan began documenting their knowledge storing it away within the holocrons. One holocron contained knowledge from Master Nu and the other from Master Tan. Together, the younglings will share and learn from both as the others depart.

Lastly, Master Tan gifted the youngling training sabers--not powered by kyber crystals. These training items, merely wooden sticks around the length of a shoto saber, were painted blue and green and were padded with material to prevent injuries. The training "sabers" and holocrons seem to distract the younglings into accepting staying behind at the base.

In the other bay, Jedi Master Divak Tan and AZI-3, brought along in case of injuries, prepare the Jedi Order's YT-2400 ship, the Zillo's Shadow. Master Tan and AZI-3 will stay in deep space following the crew to provide support and collect them once the discovery mission has been fulfilled.

Aboard the Aurora Frontier, a light freighter, the Jedi rest comfortably. Nearly a day later, they arrive at the Alderaan supply depot. Before landing, the hyperspace coordinates in the navcomputer are erased ensuring their ship cannot be traced back to the base.

Once they land, Alderaan offers Granite and Uri their first glimpse of non-artificial sunlight in months, since they arrived on Polis Massa. Their layover at the Alderaan depot was short, but provides some time for them to catch their breath and enjoy some local food. The Alderaan meatpies baked with fickleberries were a blend of savory and sweet flavors. A handful of starblossoms, a native fruit of Alderaan thought to not grow elsewhere, and frosted mugs of mintea were also provided.

The transport called, Euphoria III, is loaded with Alderaan limestone which they hope can pass as the Kallida rocks at least until they learn more about the usage of the rocks. The Jedi board the ship and depart for their final destination at a Mining Guild's outpost on Mustafar.

Nearly a day later and almost completely retracing their route back to the base, they arrive in the Mustafar system. The planet was acquired by the Techno Union over three hundred years before the Clone Wars where they mined the lava flows for unique and valuable minerals. The planet also became known as the home to the Black Sun crime syndicate, whose headquarters was located near the mining town known as Zitontown. During the Clone Wars, the Mustafarians aligned themselves with the Confederacy of Independent Systems, who used Mustafar to produce battle droids for their droid army. As they arrive they note the presence of many military starships and cruisers orbiting the planet as the planet is now seized by the Galactic Empire.

When their ship enters the region, they are directed to Fralideja, the capital city and one of the few remaining settlements of Mustafar. Flying around the area, they see the city sitting atop a molten rock plain surrounded by erupting lava geysers, resulting what most would call an imbalanced volcanic hellscape. Due to the fiery surface, outdoor structures are built where necessary--usually at and near active mining sites--and buildings were held up by stem-like gravity supports. Once they come close to the Fralideja spaceport, they are given updated coordinates to a nearby mining facility just outside the city.

Setting down on the landing pad, they see various technicians, managers, and cargo droids waiting for them to lower the cargo ramp and begin unloading the goods.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 11, 2021 5:16 pm

"Well, here goes nothing," mutters Shoshannah to herself. "So--one of us could pose as the foreman supervising the unloading and use it as a chance to make small talk with the port staff and see if we can learn anything that way. I'm pretty good at that sort of thing, but maybe someone else can do it better."
Shoshannah has Presence 3/ Charm 2--but Deception 0.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu May 13, 2021 11:14 am

Uri looks at Granite, who seemed unreadable for most of the time he'd known him.
I remember Othniel's Deception wasn't good either. If Granite's is bad too, 1) funny that we all suck at it :lol: and 2) I volunteer Shoshannah.