Chapter 1C: The Droid Defector

After Order 66, few Jedi dare to venture outside the shadows—rumors of the dark and terrible Darth Vader haunting even their waking moments. Yet, some Jedi find this life of fear unbearable. The Empire is always watching, and Vader himself is eager to confront any Jedi that might bring him closer to the whereabouts of his betrayer, Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:37 pm

"It is all right, Wile," Janos holds up a hand to forestall any further complaint from his partner. "I am sure our friend here from the Trade Federation would tell us that the tax goes to pay for the cost of keeping this station safe with the war going on. It is merely the cost of our doing business in these troubled times. As it happens, we currently have no cargo, but we are always looking for an opportunity if you know of any, Chief Inspector."

The Jedi started counting out credits to hand to the Chief Inspector. "I imagine we may be here for a few hours, so here is 75 credits to cover any necessary costs, such as making sure nobody intrudes upon our property. Our star charts should be fine though, so we'll pass on that."
Since credits aren't a big deal right now, we'll pay for the extra security. Don't need anyone unwanted sneaking on board and making mischief.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:31 pm

The two droids exit the starship. "There's no cargo in their hold," comes the familiar voice of the B1 battle droid.

The Neimoidian accepts the credit sticks. "The Trade Federation thanks you for your business and support." Turning to the droids, he waves and begins to exit the hanger.

"Roger. Roger." The droids state as they march along behind the inspector.

Wile sighs and says, "Well, that went well. I guess we're off to see Pazzk now. If your contact is on the station, he'll know. He's the eyes and ears of the station."

Along the way, Janos identifies certain decks such as the droid garrison are off limits. However, most of the station is open and has only light security in the form of cameras, mechanical locks, and the occasional patrol consisting of a handful of B1 Battle Droids with one B2 Super Battle Droid.

The station's citizenry-of which there are nearly two thousand-consists primarily of shiphands, dockworkers, and station support staff, as well as the civilian businesspeople and employees who keep them fed and entertained. There are a dozen or more visiting ships and crew, such as Wile and Janos. Most of the visitors can be found in the entertainment zones, bars, and purchasing and repairing equipment.

The pair finally comes upon the threadbare curiosities shop in the urban center. As the door slides open on a squeaky track, a melodic chime can be heard. The smell of old paper and dust fills your nostrils as you are confronted with countless shelves stacked with all manner of junk. As your eyes adjust to the darkness, you see a somewhat short and middle-aged Trandoshan approaching you. With a smile, he says. "Welcome to Passk's Oddities, my friends. What can Passk do for you on this fine day?"

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:57 pm

Somewhat amused by the brightly-colored appearance of the Trandoshan, Janos pauses to act like he is looking around at the collected "oddities." In reality, the Jedi is looking for anyone else either inside the shop or immediately outside that looks like they might be suddenly paying too much attention. "Good day to you; my friend Wile said we couldn't leave the station without stopping by your shop. He spoke highly of your skill for obtaining quality merchandise."
Perception, I guess. 1 Success, 1 Advantage in chat against whatever you roll, I guess?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:13 pm

Janos doesn't notice anyone who looks out of place or potentially eavesdropping on their conversation. Wile did provide Janos on how the information source process works. They were to make an inquiry and then purchase an item, the "inquiry fee" would then be charged in addition to the normal item cost. In other words, money laundering, so Passk's shop appears to be a legitimate business with revenue.

"Yess. Merchandisse. Is my ssspecialty. Pleasse take a look around." The Trandoshan responds.

"We're looking for a droid. Maybe something new that just arrived a day or two ago. Maybe someone holding it for a special buyer." Wile eludes to their primary objective.

"Yess. Passk doessn't ssell droidss. A new sship arrived two dayss ago. Ssseller could be him. More information after purchassse."

As the three men converse, a few items that catch Janos' eyes are:
  • A book titled "Tale of the Expedition" under glass, Passk says "it's a rare copy of ancient stories"
  • Three, unregulated, and not approved for commercial sale "bacta shot" of dubious origins
  • Six unique Gungan coral sculpture which has a pleasant glow
  • Four Trandoshan Grooming Kits
  • Celebrity Bobble Heads: Palpatine (x2), Yoda (x2), Clone Trooper (x3)
  • Three Alderaanian formal gowns in various lovely shades
  • Three Corllian silk tuxedo
  • Two Doruuma Pearl handles for blaster pistols
  • Three Nexu Tooth Necklaces
  • Three Deluxe Dejarik Hologram Game Boards

re: perception roll vs 1 difficulty = 2 failures + 1 success + 1 advantage = 1 failure, 1 advantage

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:27 am

Janos finds himself drawn to the book. Whether the item really was rare or not, something to read could be interesting on the trip back to Coruscant. "What about this book?"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:34 pm

"Ah. Yesss. Taless of the Expedition. A rare copy of ancient sstoriess about galactic exxploration. The book iss over ssixx thousand years old. Very rare. Passk give you good deal. Four thoussand creditss for friendss." The trandoshan eagerly states.
Let's say your mission has 5,000 credits on the chip.
Currently: 4925 credits (-75 for docking fees)
The "information fee" will likely be 1,000 credits.
And you should save a little for unexpected problems, etc.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:54 am

An involuntary noise sounds quietly in the Jedi Knight's throat. "What do you think, Wile. I'm not sure it's worth that much."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:42 pm

3g 2p
2 successes

Wile nods his head in agreement saying, "Passk, you know that's too much for a book of bedtime stories. How about 2500 instead?"

Passk contemplates Wile's offer as he walks around his shop. "Okay. You're friends, like a distanct cousin, so I'll give you a discount. I'll take 2,500 credits, but no less."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:40 am

"Yes, that sounds much more reasonable," Janos agrees, relieved that Wile was able to talk Passk down on the price. If he'd had to blow his entire stipend of credits on one piece of (he thought) questionable information, it could make the mission more difficult. "2,500 credits it is."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:30 pm

As Passk generates the sales receipt, he says "And there'ss the one thoussand credit 'finder'ss fee'. Sso that comess to 3,500 creditss."
5000 - 75 - 3500
Currently: 1425 credits
Leaning in Passk tells the duo. "The newcomer arrived a few dayss ago. Docked in hanger 2. Thiss morning he was arressted for 'contraband.' He'ss locked up below and he'ss sscheduled to be moved off-sstation thiss afternoon along with a droid they took from his sship. The weequay pirate'ss name is Ohnaka. If you find him, he sstill owess me ten thoussand creditss sso don't let him die until after he'ss paid me."