Chapter 3b: Polis Massa Base Exterior

After Order 66, few Jedi dare to venture outside the shadows—rumors of the dark and terrible Darth Vader haunting even their waking moments. Yet, some Jedi find this life of fear unbearable. The Empire is always watching, and Vader himself is eager to confront any Jedi that might bring him closer to the whereabouts of his betrayer, Obi-Wan Kenobi.
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Uri becomes increasingly worried for the life on their hands. "We should really start heading back," he says. "Pocket some rocks. We'll mess around with them when we return." He gets to pushing the makeshift stretcher.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:50 am

"Yeah ... yeah, you're right. We should head back for now." He shakes his head. Weird. Force-sensitive rocks? He can do some truly interesting things to materials when he puts his mind to it, but minerals don't just disintegrate into dust at his touch. He can't even do that on purpose.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:31 pm

"Who" are you asking to pocket some rocks? If Tomas, Granite, or Uri touches the rocks then they turn to dust. Faster "stone to dust" speed for Uri than Tomas or Granite, but we're talking the difference between ~10 seconds (Uri) and ~15 seconds (Granite & Tomas)

The group decides to return to base without completing the sensor beacon placement around the facility's perimeter. As a technician pushes one hoverlift still fully loaded with sensor beacons, Padawan Uri pushes the other hoverlift carrying the wounded technician and the remaining sensor beacons. Jedi Knight Granite keeps an eye on young Tomas as they walk in front of the two hoverlifts keeping their eyes open for any threats. After the storm passed, their communication devices begin working again, so they are able to inform the facility they are returning earlier than expected.

Several minutes later, they arrive at the facility's garage door and proceed through the field and into the facility. A handful of staff stand ready to assist with the wounded technician and quickly carry him away into the medical bay area of the research and mining facility.

Jedi Knight Granite, Jedi Padawan Uri, and Tomas stand in the garage surrounded by two hoverlifts carrying the sensor beacons as the others have departed to secure the garage door and transport the wounded man to the medical bay.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:27 pm

Granite looks at the Padawan, his face impassive because of his Temple helm. "It may be best to return you to the Masters for now, young one. I can complete the sensor beacon placement with our remaining technician, while you return and report the strange reaction of the local mineral rocks to the presence of the Force. Especially as it reacts so strongly to you. They will have the Lore to understand and investigate better than I."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:25 pm

"Yes Master." Uri leaves both of them and searches for Master Tann.
Sorry. I directed the order to pick up rocks at the technician. We can say Uri also tries to pick up a few with telekinesis and pocket them...

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:18 pm

The Jedi split up with Tomas and Uri heading to find Master Tan and Granite to find some additional staff to continue placing sensor beacons.

--- To be continued in Chapter 3: Polis Massa Base thread ---

Meanwhile, Jedi Knight Granite assist the technicians with delivery of the wounded man to the med bay. Leaving the wounded man there, he returns to seek some help with the remaining sensors. Finding some techs who aren't already tasked with other duties is quite difficult for Granite, but eventually he finds two who will accompany him and the previous unwounded technician out into the surface.

After thirty minutes or so, the Jedi Knight and three technicians grab their breathers and push the two carts containing the beacons through the shielded door and back outside of the facility.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Relieved to be back on task, rather than worrying about mystical mysteries, Granite leads the technicians out of the facility and back to the perimeter. "I don't want any repeats of earlier today. If there is any sign of danger, take cover. I'd rather lose equipment than people. If the local wildlife decide to get uppity then I'll scare it off." He has no illusions of his own invincibility, but most fauna aren't mentally or physically equipped to take on temple armor and a lightsaber. Nothing naturally evolves to handle Jedi as a competitor for resources. "We place the beacons, check to make sure the sensors are working, and then straight back to base. No lounging around."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:54 pm

<< Rory -- moved you and Tomas discussion with Jedi Master Tan to other Chapter 3: Polis Massa Base thread >>

The technicians nod at Jedi Granite. After the warning about the large worm-like creatures, they carry blaster pistols on their belts in case of any additional threats.

It takes the group thirty minutes or so to return to where they placed the last sensor beacon near the location of the attack. Once there, one of the newer technicians speaks up with a thick Alderaan accent. "Do we know how deep these worm tunnels go? If we can run them off, we might be able to use the tunnels to secure goods, cargo, and even people in case of an Imperial inspection."

As they walk, he asks Jedi Knight Granite. "Did you ever work with Saw Gerrera's militia? The latest intel reports from Onderon indicate he's forming a new insurgent group-- called the Partisans, I think-- to go up against the Galactic Empire. He says that he'll strike the first blow to the Empire."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:22 am

"I always served in the main forces of the Grand Army of the Republic. I believe Gerrera was a resistance fighter on Onderon, yes? From the reports I read he was highly effective in his methods, although some might consider him extremist." He shrugs. "Hard to judge from a distance, such extremes may have been necessary to survive fighting the Separatists. But I've heard nothing recently, about him or these Partisans. If he's managed to keep a fighting force together perhaps they can be a thorn in the new Galactic Empire's side." Given how little coordination there seems to be with various small groups trying to survive in the Empire's shadow, he has little faith that any single insurgent group can do much more than annoy the Emperor and his forces. At least not yet.

"But something we can do is work on mapping these worm tunnels. Probably not the smartest idea to just start running in there blindly. Even if I could fight a worm effectively underground, the tussle would likely collapse the tunnel with us trapped inside." He looks over the scanning equipment they have for anything that might be suitable. "Ground penetrating radar and other tools could at least start the process, and we could expand to deeper and wider mapping of the tunnels."
I assume he isn't particularly well known. I rolled a hard Warfare check and got 3 Successes and 1 Threat. If it was instead a hard Lore check I got 2 Failures and 4 Advantages. Lol. So I'll say I've heard of some of his war exploits, but know nothing about the politics of the situation.

With my Mechanics knowledge, is any of the equipment we have on-hand suitable for underground mapping efforts? Or perhaps something at Base, or constructing the tools we need from the materials in stock.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:31 pm

With your mechanics skill (and Force ability), you can at least jerry-rig something that can give you a good idea. It might take a day or so to find the parts with do the work. Most likely the archeologists might have left something behind and combined with the miners tech, etc. you could get something to work.

Dice roll - Warfare would be the roll I'm using for any "Clone Wars" related info. For me "Lore" is more about ancient history/stories/books. So that's fine.
The technician nods along with Granite's assessment of Saw Gerrera. "I like what our Benefactor is doing - setting up networks, connections, supply lines, and other things, but I feel if the Empire gets too entrenched then we'll never take back the Republic. Gerrera's group is going to try to stop the Empire before it gets going, even if it's just on one planet."

As they walk to other beacon locations, Granite spots rocks that appear to be of the same type as the ones they found near the worm tunnel. When Granite mentions ground penetrating scanners, another technician says, "I saw some old archeology equipment in one of the storage rooms. We might be able to put something together."

As they finish with the beacons from one hoverlift, the group feels the ground tremor as if the worm-like creatures are passing under or near them. However, unlike before the creatures don't surface and the tremors feel as if the creatures are traveling away from the group or beacons.