Chapter 3c: Follow the Vines

After Order 66, few Jedi dare to venture outside the shadows—rumors of the dark and terrible Darth Vader haunting even their waking moments. Yet, some Jedi find this life of fear unbearable. The Empire is always watching, and Vader himself is eager to confront any Jedi that might bring him closer to the whereabouts of his betrayer, Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:56 pm

Don't want to get too bogged down here. If you feel like jumping head, let me know which path you want to take to get down to bottom of canyon. I'll make the rolls and a few assumptions (cure wounds, etc.) to get the story moving forward.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:19 pm

Shoshannah nods. "Vulture droids and, ah, conventional blades it is."
Then can we assume we got these supplies with relative ease and are now descending to the base of the canyon on them?

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:23 pm

I can use the force on coordination checks, but I don't know how well Shoshannah can do athletics/coordination, so I think the droids are our safer bet. And I want a non-lightsaber weapon to fight with in melee if it comes to that.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:36 pm

In addition to the knives aboard their ship, Janos and Shoshannah easily find machetes for sell in local markets. After sizing up their descent, the two decide to avoid climbing down and take up Jaybo's offer on using the Vulture droids.

After agreeing to another favor from the young man, Jaybo programs the Vulture droids to descend and ascend with voice commands. The two Jedi strap their blades to their bodies and hang onto the wings of the droids in addition to having rope tied around it to assist holding them as it takes off and departs.

As they secure themselves, Hedala and her befriended B1 Battle Droid, R0-GR, watch. The young girl giggles and points as the B1 Battle Droid awkwardly and clumsily shifts and talks. "Bye!" the young girl says as the Vulture ships lift off.

The flight into the canyon takes several minutes as the Vulture droids slowly descend vertically. It's possible the two Jedi have been in worse situations before, but having to place their faith in an unknown young man on a remote planet who's programmed a pair of Separatist flying attack droids to safely transport them thousands of feet down into a canyon of full of carnivorous plants is a unique experience to itself.

While the vines of the Reeska plant travel all the way to the city high above them, the plant's roots can only be found at it's base in the narrow canyons. When they land, their eyes follow the vines to three locations where many converge.

The red circles are the "heads". Each red circle represents 3 heads. So if/in battle, each red circle would be a "minion group" of 3 heads.

You're thousands of feet away (think like half a mile down or so) away from civilization, so if needed, nobody would see your lightsabers (unless they were also in the canyon and/or the droids memory banks)

Also, the Vulture droids' wings can rotate and turn into legs so they can walk and shoot as well (like a four legged insect looking tank, but not as strong as a tank).

"Roots" can be found nearly anywhere you dig on the canyon floor.

Shoshannah's "Alter" power (for environments such as plants) includes the carnivorous plants and their vines, etc. so this is one of those times the plant/env focused Force abilities might be useful since these aren't humans (so things like mind trick couldn't work, but Alter abilities could somehow work at least to move or hold them).

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:22 pm

How much reach does each cluster of heads have? Could we dig up roots without being in danger from any of them?
Shoshannah says, "Normally, I'd offer to the digging, given that I specialize in agronomy--but I may also be able to use the Force to hold off the carnivorous heads if they decide to attack."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:29 pm

OOC but I feel this is good for keeping the game going -- The heads will need to be "engaged" to attack you (no ranged attacks), so they need to move (they can "walk") to you using normal maneuvers (spending 1 maneuver to move from short to engage, etc.)

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:00 am

"Hey, if you can keep them off me, I don't mind digging at all," Janos responds. "But I'll keep this machete and my lightsaber close at hand just in case."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Shoshannah nods. "Let's not use the lightsabers unless we need to. No one should be able to see us down here--but for all we know these vulture droids record everything they see and instantly relay it somewhere." She stands alertly, scanning the reeska's carnivorous mouths. She reaches out with the Force to try to soothe them so they don't attack, but is ready to use more physical applications of the Force should they do so.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Roll: Force 2
total: ff
result: 3 light side pips

1 LS = activate Alter, can manipulate terrain within short range until end of next turn
1 LS = survival check
1 LS = shared senses

Survival Check
skill 2y
diff 2p
result 2 success, 1 threat

Shared senses = +boost to perception and vigilance checks

When in your turn, you'll need to reroll the Force check (if spend xp to get "Duration" upgrade, then using "Duration" you could "commit" 1 of your 2 Force Dice to maintain it over multiple rounds) to maintain the effect into next round.

The use of Force, triggered combat.

Shoshannah calls on the force. Her ability to connect with the Living Force of their surroundings, allows her to manipulate the nearby plants and terrain. She senses the Living Force swelling within her, as strong as she can remember. She feels a strong connection here within this remote and backwater planet, while the planet is not devoid of technology, their location in the canyon is far from civilization allowing her to easily feel and attune with the Living Force of the plant life.

Once attuned with her surroundings, the Jedi knows where the plants' vines and roots wander throughout the canyons and underground. Upon feeling this, she immediately knows where to inform Janos to dig to find the Reeska's roots near the surface.

Init
Shoshannah = +boost from shared sense = gggb = 2 succcess, 1 adv
Janos = gg = 2 adv

Reeska (group init) = gg = 3 successes
(using Kowakian Monkey Lizard for stats, each Minion group is 3)

Init order: Reeska, then Jedi
** combat **

The Reeska sense something is amiss when the droids land and two organic beings dismounted. However, before they could take action, Jedi Shoshannah reached out with the Force to immobilize the carnivorous plants giving Janos time to collect a root sample.

While the Reeska is immobilized, Shoshannah and Janos ...
x = marks spot where roots are at, Shoshannah just needs to "tell" or point there, otherwise, it would have been rolling random die to see if a dig found any, etc.

digging will be 'interacting' with env maneuver, then collecting roots will be a 2nd maneuver

Reeska are all immobilized for this round, they will be active next round unless re-immobilized.

Reeska are "short" range from Jedi.
Shoshannah
12 wt, 13 st

Janos
12 wt, 13 st

Reeska Group A
3 heads, 9 wt, soak 2

Reeska Group B
3 heads, 9 wt, soak 2

Reeska Group C
3 heads, 9 wt, soak 2

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:33 pm

Shoshannah stands with arms outstretched, a look of concentration on her face, trying to keep the reeska soothed and immobilized as Janos digs up the roots. "We mean you no harm," she says to the plants. "We just need to take some of your roots to help our own people. But we will not take so much that it will do permanent harm to you."