Chapter 5E: The Bright Star

After Order 66, few Jedi dare to venture outside the shadows—rumors of the dark and terrible Darth Vader haunting even their waking moments. Yet, some Jedi find this life of fear unbearable. The Empire is always watching, and Vader himself is eager to confront any Jedi that might bring him closer to the whereabouts of his betrayer, Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Chapter 5E: The Bright Star

Post by Shurijo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:09 am

Several weeks ago, Ashara Bi was fortunate to accidently eavesdrop on Jedi Archivist Jocasta Nu's conversation with Jedi Master Divak Tan. The Chief Librarian had vowed to return to the Jedi Temple to destroy the hidden holocron that contained a list of force-sensitive children. With her obsession overtaking her senses, she came to the conclusion that this could be her only chance to search the Jedi Archives before they are destroyed, so she stowed away on Nu’s starship.

By the time they arrived on Coruscant, Ashara was discovered by Jedi Master Nu. Jedi Master Nu eventually gave in and allowed Ashara to accompany her to the Archives. Secretly Jedi Master Nu hoped Ashara could distract any guards long enough for her to reach the holocron. After defeating a few Imperial troopers, they became separated inside the Archives. Several minutes later, Jedi Master Nu became engaged in a battle with dark armored lightsaber wielding individuals. Driven by her desires, Ashara continued looking for information rather than join the battle. Eventually, she found an ancient holocron with the information she sought...

She had never activated a holocron before and believed her recent years without Jedi training would hinder her abilities, however, the holocron activated easier than she could ever believe. The narrator began an ancient tale about the Bright Star. In the story, Lady Corvax wanted to harness the energy of the Bright Star to restore her dead husband to life. Before she finished listening to the holocron narrator, Jedi Master Nu’s battle had overtaken her space within the Jedi Archives.

As she drew her energy bow to attack the tall, dark armored, masked, and red blade lightsaber wielding warrior, her body was lifted several feet above the floor. As she floated higher, she began to choke and her hands instinctively dropped the bow and reached for her throat. Next, everything went black ...

Her eyes slowly adjust the light as she realizes she is laying on a soft bed. Quickly getting her wits and surroundings, Ashara Bi finds herself within a room with soft light. Her old clothing had been taken and replaced with a soft red robe. Her energy bow and other items were nowhere to be found. However, the Bright Star holocron was placed on the table next to various foodstuff and a pitcher of water.

A few minutes later, she hears a knock on the door and a male Mustafarian enters. "Greetings, Lady Ashara. I am Vylip F’alma, clan loremaster. If there is anything you need, let me know and our host will provide it for you."

This thread is for GuyWithSword
Also note your emotional strength (love), emotional weakness (obsession)

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Chapter 5E: The Bright Star

Post by GuyWithSword » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:17 am

As the togrutan woman wakes up, she gasps and breathes in deeply, the memories of being choked still fresh as if the incident just happened a few seconds ago. Using her hands to feel around her neck for any signs of damage, she calms herself down by forcing herself to take deep breaths. Upon concluding that she is not suffering from any immediate injuries, Ashara studies her surroundings. A soft bed. Soft light. Food and water. Unlikely to be a torture chamber. Her things are missing, but what this? The holocron is still there?

Ashara holds it, her mind already thinking of activating it so she can finish listening to its knowledge. Then the door begins to open, and the togruta quickly puts the holocron inside her robes.

After listening to the clan loremaster's greeting, she responds, "Greetings to you as well, clan loremaster Vylip F’alma. I firstly require some basic knowledge, such as where we are, who our host is, and why we are here. I have some frightening and unpleasant memories of the last figure I saw before I woke up here. Also, do you know of the whereabouts or fate of one Jocasta Nu? She is an elderly human female."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:13 pm

"Of course, Lady Ashara." The Mustafarian Lore Master says. "You are in the Corvax Fortress on Mustafar. Your host is Master Vadar, lord of the fortress. You are here because you unlocked a holocron of our most sacred artifact, the Bright Star. The legend say that the holocron and the key can only be activated by someone of Lady Corvax's bloodline. My clan has searched the galaxy for nearly a thousand standard years for someone of Lady Corvax's bloodline. I do not know of a Jocasta Nu. Including yourself, there is only Master Vadar, his soldiers, and my clan present within the fortress." Ashara assumes that the members of his clan are all Mustafarians, like the Lore Master.

Walking a bit closer, the Mustafarian says, "When Master Vadar comes, he will give you a task. Do not anger him. You're not the first candidate to fall under his scrutiny. And I do not enjoy cleaning the room for those who failed the task."

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:46 pm

"If Lady Corvax is a Mustafarian, and I am a Togrutan, I doubt I am truly of the bloodline. But, if I can help aid you, I suppose I can try that. May I share in the knowledge of your artifacts?"

As the lore master comes closer, Ashara doesn't betray any hint of being uncomfortable. "I'll do as your lord asks."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:37 pm

"Lady Corvax was a... " The lore master begins to correct Ashara, but is interrupted when the door slides open to reveal a tall figure wearing a long black cape. The individual has visible technological devices and panels over his torso and when he speaks, it sounds more droid or electronic than natural speaking. While she didn't get a good look at the person who lifted he and choked her, she instantly recognized the sounds made by the breathing apparatus and now understands this is the same person who attacked them at the Jedi Archives.

Vadar gets a fear check
Terrifying: At the beginning of each encounter, each enemy within Medium range must make a Hard (rrr) fear check.

Ashara
opposed by Discipline or Cool
Discipline ygg

total ygg rrr
result: 2 success, 1 advantage, 1 triumph, 1 despair

triumph = no fear checks until end of social encounter
despair = +purple to all actions until end of social encounter
Ashara doesn't shy away from the menacing cyborg, she knows she is alive for a purpose. Still, the figure stands an impressive height and stature and she understands that even Jedi Master Jocasta Nu was outmatched by the man.

The man's words come out methodical and raspy, "You may wonder why I have brought you here. You are required to perform one simple task." Reaching within his cloak, he retrieves an elaborate box. "Open this configuration and I will spare your life." He says as he extends his hand with the box towards Ashara offering her the box.

She has no reason to believe the person is attempting to deceive her. In fact, she felt a coldness in the air and an another feeling that she cannot yet place, but she knows it comes from some sort of dark aura emitting from his being. Based on the previous conversation with Mustafarian Lore Master, she knew she wasn't the first and he likely killed those who couldn't open the box.

Ashara recognizes the box as an ancient holocron that required someone with Force abilities to unlock the puzzle in order to reveal the contents. The holocron design looked like it could be well over a thousand years old. It is similar in design to the one she took from the Jedi Archives, however, that holocron appeared much newer and did not require such an elaborate puzzle solution to unlock.
We're not going to roll for whether you unlock it or not, you will. It's a box that will shift around and until it opens up.

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:51 pm

Good that we don't need to roll. Because apparently I'm at +1 Difficulty for this encounter even though I also triumphed haha
The Togrutan's mouth line hardens as she sees the person who choked her out so easily. The fear...it's palpable. Ashara uses all of her willpower to not let her fear show. Walking forward with steady and slow steps, she carefully reaches for the box, and then retreats to a table to study the object. "It's a holocron alright. The lock is elaborate, but I can do it."

Closing her eyes, Ashara focuses on the object, letting the force guide her instead of her eyes. slowly but surely, the box shifts and retracts, transforming and unlocking itself. Now, if only her insides are as calm as her outward appearance. She may not be shaking in her boots, but the armored black figure's presence (not to mention his loud breathing) are very distraction.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:58 pm

As the Ashara Bi unlocked the box, the cyborg of a man watched. Ashara couldn't read his emotions due to his mask and breathing apparatus which rhythmically pulsated. As the box opened and twisted, a blue light began to emit from the box followed by a thin wisps of blue tinted smoke. Then a white crystal lifted out of the center of the box. For a moment, Ashara thought it looked like a Kyber crystal used for lightsabers, but she had never seen one as white and translucent as this crystal.

Before she could inspect it further, the box flies from her hands to find the outreached hand of the fortress's lord. "This is the one I've been searching for. I will send for you shortly." He says as he turns and exits the room. The doors close behind him.

The Mustafarian Lore Master looks concerned, frightened and worried. At first, Ashara might have thought that was due to Vader's presence, but the Lore Master continue to be concerned for minutes after he had departed.

"You... You opened the artifact. Noone has been able to do that for eons. They have been scouring the galaxy for someone of your blood line. Listen, now that Vader has found you, he is in reach of enormous power. He means to conquer death itself. Countless lives are in danger, including your own. You must escape this planet."

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:14 am

Ashara is glad the masked menace is gone for the time being. When the Lore Master speaks with great concern, Ashara is surprised. "You do not want Master Vader to succeed on his endeavor? He is not your ally? Also..."

She looks away for a moment. "What's wrong with conquering death? I can see much use for that..."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:35 pm

The Lore Master begins to inform Ashara of the history of Mustafar, "Lord and Lady Corvax were powerful beings. They arrived on Mustafar when it was a lush planet thriving with life. They lived alongside the Mustafarians. Then one day, Mustafar came under attack and Lord Corvax fell in battle. Struck with grief Lady Corvax stole our most sacred artifact, the Bright Star Crystal, to power her Aeon Engine which she hoped would resurrect her love."

"Her attempt utterly failed. Lord Corvax was cursed to be trapped between worlds and the Bright Star burst with powerful energy causing our beautiful planet to turn into a hellscape. Lady Corvax locked the artifact in the fortress whose key could only be used by one of her descendants."

"Another attempt to use the Aeon Engine could destroy the planet. My clan has been seeking the descendant, so they could return the Bright Star and allow Mustafar to begin to heal."

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:33 pm

"I wouldn't helping Mustafar heal. Where should the Bright Star be returned to? And please tell me more about this Aeon Engine. Can it be taken off-world and activated in an area where collateral damage wouldn't matter?"

The togrutan seems very...interested in this topic.