Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

The all-powerful Runelords, near-immortal wizards who ruled Varisia in ancient days, stir to terrible life once more, surging across the frontier with plans to reignite their time-lost empire!
Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Re: Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

Post by Graven » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:41 pm

Sarius sets his pack down, with a sigh, "I'll come up with something," he pulls a pouch out of the folds of his clothes, grimacing when it jingles with coin, before finding a spell component pouch. "Nothing that gets us kicked out of town before we have a decent meal though, please."
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:19 am

"Is that merchant over there being accosted? If so, we should go help. This town won't dare kick me out for taking out the trash!"

The dragon seems to eager to get involved.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Amelak the Dragon sees the design on the cloth of the current customers of Possum, a mouth with jagged fangs, as the sign of the Horned Fangs gang, a group that have been hell-raisers lately. But this moment they just seem to be paying out coin for drink, just as the newcomers did a few minutes ago. Sarius the Conjurer doesn't have the local knowledge to know the gang identity, but he does recognize the image as the Thassilonian rune of wrath. Why they have chosen that as their sign is anyone's guess. Maybe they're just assholes?

The adventurers stand up to get involved, and start moving over. The ruffians not-so-subtly approaching behind the Horned Fangs notice the group and slow down, hands cautiously sneaking into pocket and within coats as you approach. The Horned Fangs and Possum haven't noticed anything amiss yet, mugs of Possum Punch being passed around.
Rory, thanks for helping it move along. :)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:57 pm

"Oh, fine," Myri says, standing up. "Let me know if you break a claw." Despite her sarcasm, the slender woman follows.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:30 pm

"Be careful, that's the rune for wrath they wear," the wizard continues with barely a breath, "I wonder if they understand what it means, they don't seem the type to be a group of Tassilonian scholars." He begins to fall back slightly, watching the newcomers closely.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:29 pm

"Wonder where they saw it? Ach. Guess we'll find out soon." Rusilka skirts by the bibbers as she stares down the cloak and dagger types, and whips out her axe.

"Hands out yer cloaks an' back off. Or we'll settle this o'er behind ye, an' Ah'll match one pint o' blood per drop o' beer spilt."

The warning is just a pretense. She's watched this scene play out before.
Intimidation +6
Not the beer!

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:08 am

Rusilka may be short, but she is mighty. Small, but fierce! The hoodlums pause for a bit, looking worriedly at each other now that they're caught out, rather than being able to ambush like they intended to. One is pushed forward by the others, and he gets back his composure and tries to act cocky. "Nobody asked for your opinion, little girl. Outsiders shouldn't butt their heads in where they don't belong. Keep doing that, and it'll get stomped on." The sweat beading upon his brow betrays his true feelings.

The Horned Fangs at this point wise up to the situation, turning around and seeing their attempted attackers being challenged. They huddle around Possum's cart, protecting the precious beer. The leader of the attackers swears harshly now that their benefit of surprise is not completely reversed. He seems to panic, pulling a dagger and slashing threateningly at the air. "Us Roadkeepers were here first, and we'll be here last!" Violence is imminent.

Right before the first blow is truly struck, an unearthly wailing fills the Circle Market and everyone within earshot freezes in place. Sadness and crippling despair grip the hearts of all, as a gray figure manifests between the Horned Fangs and Roadkeepers.
It is a man, although indistinct and hazy, glowing and transparent as though viewed through murky water. In a booming voice that sounds like it's gargling out of the throat of a drowning man, the ghost cries out, "NO! MY COVE! NO!", and letting loose an even louder and more frightfully overwhelming moan. Fear grips the hearts of all, and a wild panic ensues.
All of the minions and townsfolk fail their Fear test. So did all the PCs. Treat this as the Panicked condition, for about the next 30 seconds (~2d4 rounds). Terrible luck, Sirius was the best with rolling a 12, the rest of you were single digits. The Panicked effect means that no violence occurred as everyone runs every which way.
- Amelak rolled a Nat 1, so feel free to act up the Fear Effect how you want. Can be a nice character moment, perhaps another reminder of what you lost and need to get back again. Or an annoyance that you were the one with a Fear Aura, and now you're on the receiving end of things.

The most important fact of the moment is - The Beer Is Safe!!!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:31 pm

The sound of the moaning splits Rusilka's heart. This is no bandit, or mad drunk, or greenskin, or any foe of the deep. She reaches up to cover her ears, and gapes at the howling dead man for a moment, before turning and tromping off to the southeast without a word, hyperventilating all the way. Somehow, her hands feel lighter...
Movement
Rolled randomly for a direction. Rusilka drops her axe and shield, and moves 16 squares to the southeast from the conflict at the center of the Circle Market.

Indeed, beer is safe! 1 out of 3...

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:53 pm

Sarius turns and flees back toward the inn, seeking cover, whatever plan was forming in his mind scatters in the face of the undead.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:28 am

Pride, perhaps leaves Myri the last one to flee, but flee she does as she follows Sarius to the inn.