Let the gods decide: A mini adventure for D20

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Let the gods decide: A mini adventure for D20

Post by sempai » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:57 pm

definatly the opposing team of dogs, attempting to distract the mutts and gain us extra ground

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Bjorn uses the dagger to cut off a piece of his sleeve and cuts open his arm to let some blood drip out.
Wulf steers the sled on, but Ulberth gains some more ground. They are almost in the forest.
NB: In one round, that is all Bjorn can do, throwing it will happen next round.
Rolled: Wulf: 3+7+2=12, +2m
Rolles: Ulberth: 15, +5m
Distance covered so far:
Ulberth: 167m
Wulf: 163m
The forest begins at 180m. Here, the driver needs to decide if he wants to go right through the undergrowth (more difficult) or drive around it (slower).

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Wulf, with complete confidence in his dogs, decides to drive straight through the underbrush.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Bjorn prepares the bloody leather in a tight ball preparing to throw it. The pain is nothing, but the fact that ulberth is ahead causes some anxiety.

"were doing great brother, give them all you got"
sorry didn't know you were waiting on me

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Both sleds race into the forest. Patches of snowy trees, bushes, are here, and fallen logs and twigs are barely discernible, covered in snow.

While Ulberth drives around the denser patches of undergrowth, Wulf always goes straight through it. The two sleds are now not driving one next to the other but there is always a distance of 5 to 12m.

Bjorn can do nothing but to hold on tight. Twigs and leaves and snow strikes the two warrior's faces but they manage to hold on to the sled easily. While the forest still goes on, they can see that they have been able to make good some of the distance and are only one meter behind. Ulberth's sled is about 5m away sideways though.
Going straight through has a base speed of 40 and a difficulty of 15. Both passengers have to succeed at a DC 10 reflex throw to avoid being thrown off by low branches etc.

Going around has a speed of 30 and a difficulty of 10. If you miss the number by more than 5 (or fumble), something bad happens.

Rolls:
Wulf: driving 4+8+2=14, -1m for a total of 39m
Wulf ref save: 8+7=15, succeeds
Bjorn ref save: 19+2=21, succeeds

Ulberth: driving: 16, total of 36m

Distance covered: (I am just assuming there is no change up to 180m, so I am keeping the distance between the two sleds the same.)
Ulberth: 184m+36=220m
Wulf: 180m+39m=219m

The forest goes on for another 80m (up to 300 covered meters).

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:33 am

Wulf grins wildly as he flies through the underbrush. He lets out a triumphant crow as he notices that he is closing the forward distance with his opponent.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:20 am

not sure when I can throw my little ball of doggie distraction at the other team, do i have to be in range? or wait for a certain timing in the thread?
Bjorn yells "Great job Wulf! your catching them!"

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:10 pm

Bjorn's bleeding has stopped and he is holding on to the ball of leather and blood. As Wulf drives through the undergrowth, a hidden log hits the sled (the dogs just jumped over it and it bounces, losing some speed. But with skill, Wulf can keep it from toppling over and when he steers clear of the bushes, he sees that the two sleds are next to each other, only separated by about 2m sideways.
Bjorn: You can throw it anytime, but keep in mind that range penalties apply. As the dogs are at the front of the sled and you are at the back, it would be best have your sled be a bit before the other sled so you have the dogs right next to you. Otherwise you would get a -2,-4 or -6 according to distance. This round, it is -4.

Wulf continues driving through the undergrowth:
Wulf rolled natural 01 (bad dice!) for a total of 11. fumble confirmation roll: 8+2+8=18, success. No fumble. -4m for a total of 36m.
Saving throws:
Wulf: 7+7=14, success
Bjorn: 8+2=10, success (just right)

Ulberth: rolled 15 for 35m

Total distance covered:
Ulberth: 255m
Wulf: 255m

One more round of forest, tell me if you are still going the direct way. Right now, (at the end of this round) throwing leather balls would be at only -2.

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Wulf grits his teeth as he hits the log, then sighs slightly as he somehow manages to keep the sled upright and himself and Bjorn in it. He decides to keep going through the underbrush, hoping to slightly overtake the other sled.

[Bjorn]I'd say go ahead and lob it at the lead dog after this round...[/Bjorn]
Last edited by ardh05 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:05 pm

"get the sled as close as you can side by side brother" yells Bjorn, "I'll try to confuse the dogs. "