Act 1: Season of the Wolf

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
Odin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Act 1: Season of the Wolf

Post by Odin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:32 am

Even though Pyg posted first my move really wouldn't change so he doesn't have to edit anything for me, I understand he might for total moves though. I'm also assuming that due to positioning I can't see the wolves
Georg looks to Travan who obviously seems disturbed by what he sees. He steps around him to take a look at whats awaiting them in the cave, drawing one of his daggers as he does.
Steps east, east, north, north, so he should be one square NW of where Travan is currently. Dagger is drawn as a free action with Quick draw (not sure that I need to count it as that being that I'm not going to be chucking it at the wolves this turn). One more thing, you stated that I can move through friendly spaces with no penalty, is that meaning I could have moved through Travan's square? Doesn't matter at this point but just curious.
I search for hidden dwarves...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:01 pm

Round 1 Initiative: Odin 21.8, Travan 16.3, Wolves 12.2

That is correct Odin, you can move through Travan's spot. So you could have gone NE,NE (15ft) without penalty. You can not do that with a enemy, unless you make a Tumble Check DC 25 and it costs you double move I believe.

Since this is a learner game, all these ooc comments and such are to be expected, and I welcome more questions and comments so that in a 'normal' game you understand the situations at hand.
Georg darts to the cave mouth and in the blink of an eye he has one of his daggers drawn and in his hand. The long slender dagger is balanced just right for throwing, but the gypsy waits a moment for foes to come into view, the young man trying to adjust his eyes to the darkness of the cave.
Move, Quick Draw Dagger

Normally you can draw/throw weapons like daggers without worry, but in this case you are extra good with Quick Draw
Travan, then spins around the corner, drawing his steel blade and darts into the chamber, he sets his back against the pile of stone stalagmight, cutting off foes from attacking his back. With an open hand he motions the wolves to come and get him, his blade waiting to strike down at one.
Move/Draw (as part of move action with +1 BAB), Ready Action.

Note two diganols is 15ft, so Travan can't make it all the way.

Ready Actions drop your inititiave, so Travan's Initiative will change slightly, in this case it doesn't matter much, but to get the point I'll do it anyhow.
The three large wolfhounds in the cave mouth give out barks and howls, they charge the fresh meat that has shown itself in the cave. One of the beasts moves around the wagon and leaps at the Witcher Travan. Even as the wolf leaps into the air Travan brings his steel blade up before him and slices fur of the wolf knocking the attack of the beast to the side. Snapping teeth and hot breath of the animal wash over the Witcher's face as the wolf nearly clamps down on the Witcher's flesh. Pushing the animal to the side Travan just dodges a second strike from another wolfhound. The beast snaps at his legs but some fancy footwork keep the slobbering maw from making contact.
Wolf 1: Move,
Travan's Ready Action [Attack]: 22 Hit for 8 Dmg
Wolf 1: Attack Travan 17 Miss

Wolf 2: Move/Attack 16 Miss
There is a thrid animal, and it makes a charge right for the cave mouth, its powerful legs pushing it forward quickly. As it comes into the light of the outside it balks a bit, baring its fangs showing them to Georg who stands outside, right in its line of attack. Luckily for the gypsy the wolf doesn't pounce on him just yet.
Move/Move
Round 2 Initiative: Odin 21.8, Travan 12.3, Wolves 12.2
Georg, with a snarling wolf only a few paces from leaping at him...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Odin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:42 am

Georg looks at the wolf bearing down on him. Deciding he wouldn't have time to get a well aimed throw he drops the dirk where he stands and runs towards the wolf, drawing his rapier and jabbing at the wolf in one seemless motion.
Free Action:Drop dirk. Move Action: NW Attack Action: Draw rapier and attack (Flick of Wrist) Let me know if any of that is a problem. I'm way used to 2nd ed :-D and out of curiousity, since the wolf will be flat footed is that counted as a sneak attack or no?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:18 pm

Buffs N Conditions
Georg: Blade Coating: +1 Att, +2 Dmg (Duration Longer than Combat)

Wolf #3: Fatigued

Georg worries he can't throw his dirk fast enough or accurately enough to strike the charging wolfhound. So he drops the slender blade and with the Flick of his Wirst draws his short Mahakaman blade. The weapon is razor sharp and forged by with imfamous Novigrad steel. The blade is in Georg's hand in the blink of an end and the gypys steps and stabs with it into the side of the wolf connecting with the furry beast. The blade slices the shoulder of the animal, drawin bright red blood and matting the fur of the wolf with the bright fluid. The beast sags under the blow, and the Georg knows he's already taken the upper hand.
Yes the Flick of the Wrist power is used just like that to get Sneak Attacks. (Its a shortblade not a rapier, more of a shortsword type.)

Odin:
Free Action: Drop Dagger,

Move: 5ft Step,

Free Action: Quick Draw/Flick of the Wrist, Image

Standard Action: Attack Wol #3: 20 Hit for 7 Dmg + 9 Sneak Attack = 13 VP, 3 Wounds, Fort Save: 'œ20' Success, Wolf Fatigued -2 STR, -2 DEX

Since we are using the Wound and Vitality System I'll explain here once how this works, also see the SRD linked below. All dmg is first applied to Vitality, in this case 13 points of Dmg, then overflow damage is applied to Wounds. If you suffer any wounds, even 1 point, you become Fatigued (-2 STR, -2DEX, Can't Run or Charge) until you rest 8 hours or have no more wounds. In addition, any time an attack deals wound damage to a character, he must succeed on a Fortitude saving thow (DC 5 + number of wound points lost from the attack) or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. (During that time, any other character can take a standard action to help the stunned character recover; doing so ends the stunned condition.)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adven ... Points.htm
Travan the Witcher, with two wolves before him...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Travan steps deftly to the left to guard his flank with the aid of the rock outcropping.
Just a Five Foot Step, It doesn't incur any attacks of opportunity from the wolves.
With a lash of the hilt, Travan looses another attack with his sword, sure to draw blood.
Wishful thinking

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:48 pm

Buffs N Conditions

Wolf #3: Fatigued, -2 STR, -2 DEX, Can't Charge or Run
Wolf #1: Fatigued, -2 STR, -2 DEX, Can't Charge or Run

In most games, Pygmaelion would have been "Combat Day" ruled, meaning he took too long to post, and the DM would have skipped or posted for him in the combat. Generally combat can take a bit longer than other parts of the game so the GMs like players to post within 1 day of their intiative coming up in the order. Ourside of combat you generally have 3 days to post in reply to the GMs post. If you suffer too many of these '3 Day/Combat Day warnings you can be booted from the game so you don't slow it down too much for other players.

In our game, that's not the case.
Travan slides to his left, using the stone formation to prevent himself from being flanked. It seems to work as he lashes to the side with his blade and slices into the wolf. This time his manages to clip fur and flesh drawing a small amount of blood from the the caine, watching it slump with fatigue.
Travan 5ft, Attack Wolf #1: 15 Hit for 7: Fatigued, Fort Save: 16 Success.
The wolves counter, yelping and howling they make a serious amount of noise, anyone else in the cave no doubt is aware of your presense now. Two of the wolves snap and bite at Travan but the Witcher dodges one strike, and puts his boot into the muzzle of another before the wolf can open its maw wide enough to clamp down on him.

At the cave mouth Georg battles one wounded wolf, and the gypys dances to the side as the hot breath and snapping teeth of the beast nearly catches his left leg, but it missing thankfully.
Wolf 1 (Fatigued): Attack Travan 16 Miss
Wolf 2 Attack Travan 9 Miss
Wolf 3 (Fatigued) Attack Georg 15 Miss
The fight continues on as Georg counterattacks...
Round 3 Initiative: Odin 21.8, Travan 12.3, Wolves 12.2

Buffs N Conditions

Odin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:59 am

Georg falls back into his fighting stance having just barely dodged the wolf's jaws.

"Must be more careful." He thinks to himself as he launches another attack at the wolf.
Just a standard attack.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Round 3 Initiative: Odin 21.8, Travan 12.3, Wolves 12.2

Buffs N Conditions
Georg: Blade Coating: +1 Att, +1 Dmg (Duration Longer than Combat)

Georg shifts to a slightly more defensive stance, wanting to be careful, not keen on being bitten. He still strikes out at the wolf with his short blade and slices a long wound on the throat of the wolf. Blood spurts from the wound and the wollf staggers and stumbles onto its foreknees. The wolf shakes his head trying to overcome the pain of the brutal strike, but it can hardly move over the stunning pain.
Odin: Full Attack 25 Hit for 9 WPs (Max!), Fort Save: 9 vs 14 Failure! Stunned 2 Rounds.
Stunned
A stunned creature drops everything held, can't take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).
Travan the Witcher...

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:06 pm

Chagrinned at the noisy cunning of his foes, Travan concentrates his attacks on the injured lupine.
Vulf Number One... Here comes the pain!

I looked at my character sheet and discovered that Travan's Base Attack bonus is only +5... which means that he only gets a single attack per round... So that plural attacks bit up there is strictly for flavor. Hopefully it'll jump up to +6/+1 next level...

The following roll was made with the DM in attendance in IRC
<MUSH> +ROLL: Pyg@IRC rolls 1d20 and the dice show: 7

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Oops, forgot to roll my damage...
<MUSH> +ROLL: Pyg@IRC rolls 1d10 and the dice show: 5

So, 5 plus 4 (for various strength and sword bonuses)

9 damage to Vulf Number One!