Episode II: Let the Gods Decide

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Episode II: Let the Gods Decide

Post by Grimbold » Sun May 24, 2009 12:01 pm

It is winter in the Northern Wastes. Even in this cold season, the tribes are fighting over land, food, resources and even honor. In the southwest are the lands of the Sigurdson tribe, a tribe of merchants and hunters. In the north and east are the lands of the Rathgar tribe and the Fromgard tribe. These two are having a decade-old bloody feud.

In the snow-covered lands, the transportation of choice is the dog sledge, and so good dogs are prized by all the tribes.

Bjorn Sigurdson is the eldest son of the chief of the Sigurdson tribe. He is, at 23, already a fierce warrior.
Wulf Sigurdson is his younger brother, and more of a hunter than Bjorn. He is 20.

They were on an extensive hunt when they lost their way and, after two weeks in the wilderness, found some Fromgard tribesmen that gave them food and two men to guide them a bit on in return for almost all possessions of the two Sigurdson men.

Then, they were trapped by the Rathgar tribe: The four men were captured in large nets that the Rathgars threw over them.

Now, the two Fromgards and the two Sigurdsons are tied up in a tent awaiting their fate.
Welcome Zen to the game as the ranger Wulf. If anyone else wants to join, you might be able to play Bjorn, just pm me (Grimbold).

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Episode II: Let the Gods Decide

Post by zenmaster451 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:51 pm

Having grown 20 years with a slightly tougher older brother, I'm confident I can probably escape these ropes, but theres more to it than just getting out. We'll need a plan first, so I carefully examine every inch of this tent I'm in for something, anything that might give us an advantage.
The greatest of men would be silly, and lazy, and I would be king, if the world was crazy.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu May 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Wulf looks aound the tent carefully. It is actually a tent built for living, obviously having been emptied of its inhabitants to make way for the prisoners. There is a fireplace in the middle and an opening for the smoke above it. It has the shape of a cone with strong poles stuck in the ground and crossing in the middle at the top. The walls are made from furs and skins of various animals, mammoth, bears etc. They are fixed somehow to the ground by smaller poles. Around the fireplace are several sleeping places, fur covered, man-sized holes in the ground. Wulf, Bjorn and the two others are lying in some of these. Most utensils and gear have also been taken out, only several spoons and a few carved wooden bowls are lying in one corner, perhaps to serve for feeding the prisoners. The fire is not burning at the moment and the cold is starting to creep in.
Bjorn looks to Wulf grimly and says: "Let us hope we survive this. Do you have a plan?"
Nice to have you here. Note that I would prefer you to use the third person, as if telling a story, e.g. "Wulf looks around..." Any questions?

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Furrowing his brow as he takes in the scene, Wulf explains his thought process: "Well brother, rather than leap hastily into slaughter, let us wait just long enough to see what we are dealing with, and then more easily shall we gain the upperhand on these dogs!" Wulf turns to the two Fromgard men and asks "Do you know anything of this tribe that might help us?"
The greatest of men would be silly, and lazy, and I would be king, if the world was crazy.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri May 29, 2009 12:30 pm

The Fromgards speak in hushed tones: "We know they are bloodthirsty heathens that have been battling our tribe for ages. Their chieftain, Ulberth, is not to be trusted and though he is a mighty warrior, he is a coward in fact. I fear we will be sacrificed to their strange gods."

Bjorn agrees: "Yes, let us see what the day brings and take the first chance that presents itself..."

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Wulf suggests "We should try to loosten these bonds in case we have to act in a hurry. We need to be ready when the opportunity presents itself. If only we knew how many guards were outside."

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri May 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Bjorn replies: "When we were carried in I saw that this is one of the main villages of the Rathgar. So there might be 80 warriors or so around. Might be fun!" He starts trying to loosen his bonds.

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Wulf gets a cynical grin. "Fun sure, but what would you do with yourself while I took out the 80 warriors?" Wulf too starts trying to loosten his bonds. He turns to the other 2, "Can you loosen the ropes at all? If its only a couple guards that come in next, we can take them, quietly, then we'll at least have some weapons."

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:23 pm

The four men try to loosen their bonds but find out that their captors are pretty experienced at their trade. Anyway, there is not enough time as six tribesmen enter the hut.

The four prisoners are pulled out of the tent and now they can see the camp better. It is afternoon (they had been captured during tha last night). The tribe has tents of different sizes and they have been put up in a kind of small valley dotted with rocks and trees. There are about forty tents and several hundred men, women and children. Smoke is coming from openings in most of the tents as the Rathgar are cooking food or just heating their dwellings.
The tents are made of animal hides built over a strong scaffold of pine sticks. Women are preparing the deer, rabbits and other animals that the hunters brought back with them. The prisoners can even smell some meat roasting on fires. Between the tents there are some simple sleds and lots of shaggy dogs roam around between the tents, some freely, some are tied to poles driven into the frozen earth. A group of children is playing and as they see the prisoners, carried out by two trobesmen each, they start throwing snowballs at the four men, screaming and yelling in delight.

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Wulf says his brothers name to get his attention, and gestures towards the sleds with his eyes. He looks around for one of the sleds that might be hooked to a team of dogs and unoccupied, hopefully even unguarded. At the same time, he looks around the camp, marking pockets of men and best routes should they get a chance to bolt.