LTGD 3

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: LTGD 3

Post by Muskrat » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:41 am

Bjorn is somewhat relieved. He and Wulf had held whispered conversations the night before about what might be in store for them, imagining what ghastly sort of contest the shaman might dream up. After sleeping poorly because of all his worries--and the horrible images the two of them had dreamed up parading through his mind--he is relieved that the contest is something as mundane as a sled race. Indeed, this is something that both he and Wulf are pretty good at.

He is not happy, however, that Ulberth is the Rathgar's champion in the contest. Bjorn rather suspects that Ulberth will engage in treachery in this contest, perhaps cheating, perhaps even setting up his men to ambush Bjorn. Especially since the shaman said that bit about "no other rules." Bjorn also worries about what will happen to Wulf alone in the village.

Because he is the older brother, Bjorn automatically assumes that he will do the racing--he usually takes the leadership role. He still thinks of Wulf as his little brother and it hasn't entirely registered with him that Wulf is now a grown man.

Bjorn steps forward and says, "I will drive the sled. May I ask who will be keeping watch over my little brother? It is easy for rumors to start during such things as this. Some might think I have treacherously fled, when I have not, for instance. Someone who is quick to anger at such things might kill Wulf in his wrath, not waiting to find out the true results of this contest. May I request that someone of even and calm temper keep watch over my brother?" Bjorn sort of glances at Jarle and his followers.
A diplomacy check again.
If he has the chance, Bjorn carefully looks over the sled and the dogs, to make sure the sled hasn't been sabotaged ahead of time and that the dogs are all healthy and comfortable with each other. He wishes he had something to feed them to make them more friendly to him. Nonetheless, he pets them and tries to get acquainted with them.
A handle animal check to figure out the quality of the dogs and make friends with them. Whatever's more appropriate--a ride or a spot check--to make sure that the equipment hasn't been sabotaged.

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:49 am

When Bjorn talks about guards for his brother, Jarle motions to one of the younger warriors and before anyone can do anything, the man stands next to Wulf and holds him by the leather strips around his wrists.

Then Bjorn has a look at his sled, everything seems to be alright, nothing sabotaged or broken. The dogs yawp at him and as he pets them, their body language shows they accept him as the driver, and will do as told.
Diplomacy: r15+2=17
Handle Animal: r03+4=7
The first part of the race is through the plains, then through a forest, down a slope, along a frozen lake, through a forest aisle up to the clearing.

Bjorn takes the reins and makes the five pairs of dogs and the lead dog walk to the designated starting point. All of the contestants wear no armor and the shaman gives them a single dagger each.

Ulberth smiles as he takes up his position next to Bjorn. "I will make sure you are going to be sacrificed to our gods!" The big warrior laughs and spits on the ground.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:26 am

Can you give me a better sense of how long the course for the race is? Is it the sort of thing that will take a couple hours? All day? Multiple days?
Before going to inspect the dog sled, Bjorn directs a discreet nod of thanks to Jarle. He appreciates that Jarle is sticking his neck out, even if it may be as much about an internal power struggle in the tribe, as treating outsiders with honor and hospitality.

Bjorn makes sure that his dagger is sheathed in such a way that he can easily draw it if he needs to defend himself against an attack by Ulberth or any of his allies. It may not do much good against a band of armed men, but it will be better than nothing.

Bjorn says nothing in reply to Ulberth. Instead, he turns to Wulf and says, "Never fear, little brother! I will save both our skins." Silently, he thinks to himself, Even if I lose this race, I will find a way to save our skins.

As they get ready to set forth, Bjorn decides that he will do his best to win the race honestly. He will not make the first move towards treachery. But if Ulberth or his allies try playing dirty tricks, he will accept that as part of the rules of the game and fight fire with fire. Bjorn considers himself an honorable man and does not like this--but he and Wulf are being treated cruelly and dishonorably by the Rathgar, or at least Ulberth's faction of them, so he does not feel bound to deal with them in a strict honorable fashion.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:01 pm

The clearing can be reached in about 10 minutes, perhaps 8 if you really race for it. So it's rather short. (We will do it round by round, so anything longer would take ages.)
Then, as a sign to start the race, the shaman pounds his magic spear into the ground.

"Ya, ya, ya" Ulberth yells and whistles and whips his dogs into full speed and the sled takes off, gliding down the first part of the race, the open plains. He has put the dagger into a sheath on his belt.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:37 am

Bjorn likewise whips his dogs into motion. He knows he is at a bit of disadvantage, because he is not familiar with the terrain, while Ulberth probably knows it intimately. He can only hope that Ulberth is not a good sled-driver and that his arrogance will get him in trouble in this contest.

As the sled starts forward, Bjorn whispers a prayer to the gods. He doesn't doubt that they are on his side, for he knows they taught the fathers of men to uphold such virtues as honor and hospitality, and that they frown on human sacrifice. He doubts, however, that they have the time to intervene in such petty affairs as this race. Wulf and his life may depend upon it, but in the grand scheme of things, it is small.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:03 am

Bjorn: drive r14+7=21, covered 61 meters.
Ulberth total rolled 15, covered 55 meters.
Driving the sled is a move action, though you cannot take two movements in a round. You still have your standard action left and you can use it to aid yourself (like in the "Aid Another" action, possibly giving you a +2 on your driving roll!
At first, Bjorn gets off a good start and takes the lead. Ulberth cries out in surprise and does his best to keep up. Snow flies into the face of the racers as dogs bark and the sleds race through the crisp snow.
Bjorn total distance covered: 61 m
Ulberth total distance covered: 55 m
The plains go on for a total of 180m, then a light forest begins...

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 am

So, to aid myself, do I just make another Ride check? Then I certainly do so for the two or three remaining rounds that Bjorn is racing across the field.
Bjorn goes as fast as he can while he's in the open fields, not knowing what unknown hazards might lie in the woods. When he draws near the woods, however, he tries to look out for any ambushes Ulberth might have planned.
On the round Bjorn begins to enter the woods, I want to make a Spot check as my standard action. I imagine it will be a high DC, given the speed Bjorn is moving at, but it seems like the wisest course of action.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Ok, Spot checks as soon as you enter the woods. I will roll the next two rounds in one post, then.
Bjorn drives faster but does not manage to shake Ulberth off, who yells and screams his dogs to a great speed. Just before the forest begins, he pulls up right next to Bjorn!
Bjorn aid self: r4+7=11, success.
Bjorn drive: r13+7+2=23 for 63m
Ulberth aid self: r20 critical success for a +4!
Ulberth drive: total 12+4=16 for 56m
Bjorn aid self: r19, success.
Bjorn drive: r5+7+2=14, 54m
Ulberth aid self: success.
Ulberth drive: total rolled 25+2=27 for 67m

Bjorn total distance covered: 178 m
Ulberth total distance covered: 178 m
The plains go on for a total of 180m, then a light forest begins...
So the next round is forest. You can either go straight through the undergrowth, which is faster but more dangerous, or drive around the larges bushes etc which is safer and slower. So you need to tell me which way you go...
Sled speeds and difficulties:

General rule: Every round, the driver makes a skill roll and he will be able to cover the base distance plus the number the roll exceeds the DC. If he fails by 5 or more, there will be an accident or mishap.
E.g. Rudolf is driving his sled on open ground. (Speed 50m, DC 10).
- First round: rolled 11, he covers 51m.
- Second round: rolled 18, he covers 58m.
- Third round: rolled 8, he covers 48m.
- Fourth round, he rolled 5, he covers 45m and an accident or mishap happens.

- Open country (Speed 50m, DC 10)
- Forest: Straight through the undergrowth (Speed 40, DC 15) A DC 10 REF Saving throw is needed not to be struck by low branches or so.
- Forest: Around Trees (Speed 30, DC 10)
- Jumping a ditch at full speed (Speed 40, DC 17)
- Jumping a ditch at lower speed (Speed 30, DC 12)
- Down a slope, careful speed (Speed 40, DC 10)
- Down a slope, normal speed (Speed 50, DC 14)
- Down a slope, fast speed (Speed 55, DC 16)
- Down a slope, breakneck speed (Speed 60, DC 18)

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:06 am

Bjorn curses silently. He had hoped that he could keep the lead on Ulberth, but they appear to be about evenly matched in skill. He decides to go full speed ahead through the forest--he knows it is reckless, but his and Wulf's lives are on the line. He decides if he can get enough of a lead on Ulberth, he'll try to force him to steer into a tree.
So, I make the Spot check as I enter the forest. The next round, I'll do an aid self roll. I guess I'll decide what to do next based on where I am relative to Ulberth after that. Is it possible to roll to do some sort of maneuver where I cut Ulberth off and force him to steer into a tree or stop going forward?

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Bjorn looks carefully, but at this speed, he notices nothing unusual. He races straight through the undergrowth, getting hit by twigs and leaves, but he manages to stay on his sled. Ulberth chooses the way around the trees, not unusual as the Rathgar warrior is very tall. He falls back a bit as he has a longer way to go.

Bjorn spot check: notices nothing unusual.
Bjorn drive through undergrowth: r19+7=26, for 51m
Reflex save: r11, success.
Ulberth: aid self: success
Ulberth drive: 12, for 32m

Bjorn total distance covered: 229 m
Ulberth total distance covered: 210 m

Let's do this round by round.
Hindering, driving someone in a tree etc. would work like this: If you are fairly close to the other sled (max. distance 10m) you can use the Standard action: "Hinder Another", if you pass DC 10, the other gets -2, if you pass DC 20, it is -4.