Crossing the wastes

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Re: Crossing the wastes

Post by Phlale » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Bjorn nods grimly. "Take the fiendish creature's clothing, little brother. At this point I'm not sure that even it could make you smell worse, and you'll appreciate the extra warmth. This afternoon, we should keep a lookout for a better camp, and spend some time collecting more wood if you can."
Bjorn once again searches through the orc's possessions and lifts the amulet by the tip of his blade. "What do you think this is? Should I crush it under my heel as the symbol of some dark god? Or might it be of some use?"
Knowledge: Religion (untrained)
If Wulf has any ideas as to what it is, then Bjorn will act on that, if not, he'll attempt to crush the amulet, since it looks evil
The stiff warrior looks down at the damaged leathers and shrugs. "It is up to you, Wulf. Either of us would benifit from these."
More inclined to take the armour, but he'd give his brother the chance to wear it.
Their worldly good gathered, Bjorn kicks some soil and snow on the fire and they march off.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Bjorn crushes the amulet as he does not know what it is. Wulf wears the orc's furry clothing and he hands the armor to Bjorn. "I like to be able to move my arms freely" he says.

They march off, heading roughly east as the terrain allows. It is hilly county, with patches of forest thrown in. After two hours, they reach a valley with a frozen river, and its banks are lined with trees. They do not know how thick the ice is.

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:48 pm

"Brother, I think we need to find a bridge, I certainly do no want to fall through that ice."
Confident that there will be some form of civilization along the river, He begins walking south.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Bjorn and Wulf make their way down the river, going south. He cannot shake off the feeling of being followed, but he can offer no proof of this hunch. No sign of civilisation can be seen, though once they come accross a deserted campfire, made (and left) at least two weeks ago, but a search turns up nothing useful. Another time they find an orc arrow sticking in a tree, but they cannot say when it was forgotten there. In the afternoon, Wulf says: "We are coming off our intended direction now." He points south along the river: "We could check out this first, of course, it might be just some strange rock formations, but it could also be some kind of ruined city." He points accross the river. "Or we could brave the ice and - if we get accross - we could go northeast again, so we can by-pass the Coldrock Crags, which are just east of here, in the north. What do you say, brother?"

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Bjorn considers their lack of food and the inhospitable terrain. "Brother, we need to return home a soon as we can. One of these days, we will not find enough forage, and we will not stumble upon easy prey. We shall brave this river, and hope the gods are kind today."
With that, Bjorn once more gathers his possesions and makes prepareations to cross.
Can you make a Survival roll for Wulf (avoid natural hazard)?
Bjorn approaches a small tree and tests it. Finding one he thinks is suitable, he reaches high up and attempts to break it.
Strength check to break, take 10 or keep rolling until I get the right result
He hands the makeshift staff to his brother. "I hope we don't need them, but in case either of us fall in."
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Bjorn breaks off a mighty branch from one of the trees. Carefully, Wulf steps over the ice. It groans, but it holds and he is on the other side. He motions for Bjorn to come across also and the warrior just takes one step at a time and stays in his brother's footprints. One step at a time and then he is on the other side. His body still hurts from his wounds but he does not show it. They rest a bit and eat something before going on, hiking northeast, to avoid the mountains.

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Bjorn trudges behond his brother, watching the distance for any threats that might show themselves. His wounds hurt, and he knows that they really need to take some time for them to heal, so he calls to his brother. "Wulf, the wounds from that orc and his pet are still causing me pain. Do you think that we could spend some time resting? Just a day, you could hunt or gather food for a bit, and we could each get a full rest?"
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:53 pm

In the evening, they have come into the foothills of the mountains and find a place to rest. Bjorn suggests resting for a whole day as his wounds are troubling him. Wulf agrees. "Better we get home in one piece than getting home fast but not whole. But we need to be careful. We are not the only ones travelling here, I sometimes have the feeling we're being followed."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Bjorn nods grimly. He has not noticed anything, but then his brother is more at ease with the wilderness than he. He begins gathering fuel for the night's fire, and soon they have a little pool of light and heat by which to sleep.
"I shall take first watch tonight, little brother, you have been taking less than your share though, so don't bother waking me up!" Bjorn smiles at this old joke.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 pm

In the night, it starts snowing again, and both shiver from cold, despite the fire. They both yearn for a good wooden house and something warm to drink, but they seem to be far from any kind of civilization. Nothing special happens in the night and they improve their camp in the morning, setting up a makeshift shelter for Bjorn. Wulf goes hunting and comes back in the afternoon with a rabbit he caught. They roast the rabbit on the fire and share a good meal. Bjorn feels much better, his wounds are barely visible now. In the evening, they sit and plan their next moves. "I would try to continue northeast and hike along the foothills until we have passed the mountains. The plains on the eastern side of the mountains should not be so treacherous, but there might be little food there."