Welcome

Please keep this forum to OOC posts for this game.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Welcome

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 pm

Welcome to the Swashbuckling Adventure Forum!

I plan to run this game in the in a semi-historical fashion based in the Caribbean "New World" in the 1660s. This will be a magicless game, at least as far as players go, there may be a few suprises from the Incans other Natives of America as things progress. The theme of this game is inspired by your classic pirate and buccaneer genre. Think about the movie Pirates of the Caribbean, Master and Commander, and games like Sid Meier's Pirates!

Characters will be shipmates in one manner or another, and I hope that there will be a nice comradre between characters and players.

The main book for this game, is AEG's 7th Sea book "Swashbuckling Adventures". This is a 3.0 book, but is easily updated to 3.5. As always any d20 source is a viable source for this d20 game, with permission first of course. There also are 2 nice Dragon Magazines that detail pirate theme, including location, game play, and weaponry. Issue 318, 321.

I shall be basing things out of Port Royale on Jamacia some years after the English take it from the Spanish. Characters will be encouraged to play English characters (or atleast not Spanish), Dutch, and French also possibilties I guess.

I will post more on Character creation information in a bit. Those people interested in playing please post here, and I can see about getting you some source material as well if you don't have the books.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Suppliments

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:51 am

Alrighty, as promised I've got two small files (compared to the main book) for download. These are supliments to the main source material.

Remember Right Click and Save as...

This one starts with an article about pirates in D&D and contains alot of info about core classes in a pirate game. Much of this can be disregarded since this wolrd will not have any wizard or paladins, etc. However the second half is a nice article about Port Royale with a small map and timeline. I suggest all players interested in this game take a look at this.

Pirates and Port Royale

This one is a equipment section with muskets and pistols and such things. This is a nice article for this game.

Firearms
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Character Info

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:03 am

Character Info:

d20 D&D 3.5 Rules

Race - Human
Nationality - English, Dutch, French, or Native (Prefer English)
Starting Level: 1st
Starting Ability Points: 8 on all stats, +40 points
Starting Dabloons: Max For Class
Starting Hit Points: Max For Class
Starting Location: Port Royale (I'd love to see some background and history for characters)

Starting Year: 1658

Suggested Starting Classes: Pirate, Swashbuckler, Rogue, Fighter, Thean Bard, Etc. There are lots of really fun Prestige Classes in the main book which characters should consider working towards as they begin their voyages at 1st level.

I also suggest a hard look at the Flaws and Hubris offered in the main book to help offset the lack of magic. Each flaw grants a penalty but allows characters to take an addtional feat at first level and there are some cool feats for the taking.

I will be using Traits as well from the Unearthed Aracna optional rules to help round out characters. Traits are minor traits that generally give a small penalty and a small bonus to skills or other things.

If you find something else you like, let me know and we can see about using it.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:30 pm

definatly in V :) Trying to see if i can import te idea of my shuekster priest formt he UW game into D20-rules.. trying first as a bard, then as a rounge.. if i can't do it i'll scrap the idea... if you get the chance check the mush cause i will be there when i can be at work.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:30 pm

Players that have shown interested for far are:

TetNak - Pirate?
Wayloss - Shuckster Priest (Remember non-magical world)
Wargie - Swashbuckler?

That leaves room for 1 or 2 more players. Sign up early and earn bonus Miles! Fencer? Shurijo? Rory? Arnon? Aramil?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:35 pm

I don't know what I am going to be.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Fencer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fencer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:17 pm

I want in. I don't have a feel for game mechanics yet.

For example -- are there any sweeteners to the traditional bard and ranger character classes to make up for them losing their spellcasting ability and bardic music abilities?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:50 am

Where can I find info about the pirate class? I went through all my d20 books but couldn't find it listed anywhere.

And what are Dabloons?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:46 am

Alright, new update on players:

TetNak
Wayloss
Wargie
Fencer
Shurijo

That's five players. I'm cutting off the game here, possible taking one more if someone else REALLY wants in.

Everyone should have the info they need now. Also here is nice site to check out, and I've posted an encyclopedia for the game, some starting term. Dabloon (unless I spelled it wrong) is swag, gold, pieces of eight!

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/pirates.html

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:32 am

Will we be privateers aligned with a nation or pirates out for our own?

Will our adventures be mostly at-sea or exploration on land? I'm just wondering because several of the PrCs are at-sea specific (like the midshipmen, navigator, topman, etc.).

Also, are we going to be the primary ship crew or will NPCs handle the sails? If we are just going to be adventuring and combat, then I'll focus on non-crew CCs and PrCs.

Right now, I'm thinking of starting with Pirate or Wanderer and following with Helmsman, Midshipman, or Topman as a future PrC - unless we are going to spend more time on land, then I'm thinking the Buccaneer or one of the Marines.