The Land of Fate: Bashir's Tale

"The Seven Voyages of Sinbad,""Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves,""Aladdin and His Magic Lamp" -- these and other classics fill the pages of the Arabian Nights. Each story is told by a very wise and beautiful young woman called Scheherazade, who reveals them night after night to a king with a murderous heart. The first of the thousand-and-one tales is Scheherazade's own...the last may be yours. Join the adventure in a land of sultans, genies, and desert nomads as we explore the world of Zakhara, The Land of Fate. (A vWorld Expansion)

Run by the DM Vardaen.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Achmed al-Zuli the Magnificent

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:54 pm

The Geinie Achmed al-Zuli the Magnificent looks down at Bashir waiting for the reply. When the Mystic says he wants a wish, the Dao only chuckles. "Typical. Here I thought you were a different sort of mortal, but it is in the hearts of all men to seek more than they have, or more than they need. I am disappointed with you Bashir, greed is not becoming of you." Then the Dao finally hears the actual wish that Bashir makes, and his features change again. "Hmmmm perhaps I was wrong, not that it is possible that the Mighty Achmed al-Zuli could be wrong, but perhaps I was mistaken about you Bashir Mystic of Nog. You do not wish for wealth or immortality, or for the raising of the dead like so many of your kin." He stands there, towering over the two men, arms on his chest thinking.

"You desire to be the instrument to restore your people to prominence they once had, no greater glory, no greater power? Hmmmm...this is not an easy thing to be done. Possibly, but not easy, even for the Magificent such as I Achmed al-Zuli." The genie glances at Ahmed then Bashir and smiles, a sly look in his eyes as if some private joke has passed between him and Bashir, "No no, that won't do it...ah yes. Perhaps." The Dao then collects all the magical items and stows them in his chest, reattaches the chest to his belt and walks forward to Bashir. An ebon hand reaches out and rests on Bashir's head and....

...nothing happens. "Your wish is granted Bashir, though you may never live to enjoy your efforts for your people and they may never remember your sacrifice."

Achmed al-Zuli the Magficent then vanishes in a large plume of black smoke with no further explaination, and no visible effects of the Wish materializing.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:22 pm

As the black smoke dissipates, Bashir shakes his head and looks at the now empty ground where Achmed al-Zuli had just been.

"A curious encounter," he says at last. "Though not without benefit, I hope."

He turns and faces Ahmed. "We have spoken with a genie today, and that's not to be discounted. And maybe, just maybe, we've done some good for the Mystics of Nog. If that's the case, its worth more than everything we saw in the dao's chest of wonders."

"But now we really must move on. The sun is rising high and we've spent much time with these tales."

eldritchknight
Level 12
Level 12

Post by eldritchknight » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:03 pm

"Indeed, my friend, we should press onward," Bashir says, fallng into step beside his friend as they move onward to their destination.

"Tell me more of your homeland, my friend, of the wonders and sights of the land called Nog,"
Meesa take down quote to get in game:)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:28 pm

The two have met, challenged, and been left by a Noble Dao all in the matter of an hour or so. It was a strange encounter, but one that has left its mark on the two. There is still much distance to cover and so they begin their trip again.

It is a rather boring trip actually. Even the magestic mountain on their right soon become simple and plain to them as they get used to seeing them.

The pair travels, several more days, until the pair are nearly there. A camp for the night, which should be their last, is set. Somepoint tomorrow Bashir and Ahmed suspect they will reach the Tomb and Mosque of Suhail min Zann.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:34 pm

"Well," Bashir says as he unties Mina and begins leading her on her way, "Nog itself is no more. All that remains are ruins in the jungle and a few scholars, like those from my order, who keep the memories alive."

"For my part, I have lived most of my life on Sahu, the Isle of Serenity, once a remote outpost of Nog, now likely the last remnant of that once-vibrant civilization. Our histories say that the monastery at the Lake of the Winter Spirits was once a retreat for the Mystics of Nog. And when Nog fell, it was the place where the remnants of our order rallied. Whether that's accurate or not, it is where the greatest concentration of Mystics remain..."

And the tales continue. For as they travel, Bashir is happy to tell Ahmed about his life on the Isle of Serenity and what he knows of the history of Nog.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Camping in the Ghost Mountains

Post by Trogdor » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:41 pm

"Well, if the maps I was given are correct," Bashir observes, squinting at them in the light of the setting sun, "we should arrive at the crypt tomorrow. Then you'll have fulfilled your obligation and can claim your inheritance. And I can, perhaps, learn more of the Lions of Tomorrow."

"But for tonight we should try and get our rest. Who knows what wonders the crypt will bring." He turns to unroll his prayer rug and adds, "I'll be happy to take first watch again." Since donning the magic ring a few days ago, Bashir had felt a decreasing need for sleep and food. And so while travelling he was glad to accommodate Ahmed as much as he could by allowing his friend additional sleep, food, and water.
Yes, I know the descripton on the ring says it takes seven days to work. I figured that rather than being a light switch, it worked gradually, perhaps having a big jump in effect at the end.

eldritchknight
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Camping in the Ghost Mountains

Post by eldritchknight » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:28 pm

Ahmed nods his thanks to his friend.

"Who knows where our travels will take us when this trip is over, my friend? For I would like to continue to travel with you, my friend, and see the great lands of Zakhara, maybe even see distant Nog. If that is alright with you, friend Bashir, of course."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:41 pm

"I can't make any promises that my travels will be safe, or even that they'll take me anywhere interesting." The young mystic gives Ahmed a serious look. "And I can promise that if I emerge from them safely, I intend to return to Nog."

"But I haven't answered your question." Bashir smiles. "It would be an honor to have you as a traveling companion. And it would be a pleasure to show you the lands of Nog."

"But I shall think none the worse of you if you instead return to the cities of the Heart and your inheritance. For I fear my path will be a difficult and dangerous one, and I should not like to draw you into harm's way." Unspoken is the guilt he feels for unwittingly leading Hani to his death.

eldritchknight
Level 12
Level 12

Post by eldritchknight » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Ahmed smiles at his friend.

"I have seen dao, battled an ogre, faced near death in that battle, was saved in that battle by a true friend, all this has led me to believe that I am a creature of adventure now, and to adventure you need good companions, and you are a great companion, my friend,"

"But I may need to stop at a city to secure my inheritance, as that inheritance may aid us in our further travels."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:08 am

"I can't guarantee that I'll be heading back that way." Bashir raises his hands in a gesture of helplessness. "The prophesy I was told said that I would meet the Lions of Tomorrow at the crypt. Whence I go from there, I can't say."

"But I can say that you're welcome to come along. And if at all possible I will get you back to claim your inheritance."