1006 Adventures: Birthrights

"The Seven Voyages of Sinbad,""Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves,""Aladdin and His Magic Lamp" -- these and other classics fill the pages of the Arabian Nights. Each story is told by a very wise and beautiful young woman called Scheherazade, who reveals them night after night to a king with a murderous heart. The first of the thousand-and-one tales is Scheherazade's own...the last may be yours. Join the adventure in a land of sultans, genies, and desert nomads as we explore the world of Zakhara, The Land of Fate. (A vWorld Expansion)

Run by the DM Vardaen.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: The Middle Aged Woman Defeated

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:23 am

"Bah!" grunts Kasib at Sayyid. "Loyal? What nonsense. He was not loyal to the master of the house, and therefore deserves whatever punishment he brings upon himself." Kasib takes a step away from his step-mother. "I hope you are pleased with yourself you harlot!" He walks over to Ka'im and pats the man on the shoulder.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Ahmed says a bit forcefully, "Watch your tongue Kasib. The woman is treacherous, and certainly has no love for you but she has done nothing to earn the title harlot. Let your father handle this." Glancing at Basam he adds, "Though I doubt you need to know it at this point. The assassin this morning was hired by your wife. I was able to confirmed it while I was out."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:33 pm

Kasib looks at Ahmed and quips, "Do not tell me what to say in my father's house!" He huffs and puffs, "She did not try to kill you, did not orphan you from your family, and more than likely she killed my true mother!" He points at Ahmed, "When are you so high on morals anyway!?!" He turns away from the man as if he does not exist, still staring at the old woman.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:04 pm

Ahmed looks hard at Kasib and stands, "Kasib, everything you have discovered about this woman's treachery has been because of me. You would be dead now if I had not acted. For once show some appreciation, I'll not take the abuse you give Jaabir, who I've seen save your life twice. Your father's WIFE does not deserve to be called a harlot in her house, and in doing so you slander HIS name." Turning to Basam he says, "I thank you master Basam for your hospitality." He then makes to leave the room.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:07 pm

Ka'im remains where he is, not adding anything to the conversation yet, though he does finish gathering Orman up into the fine vase.

The man pushes himself to his feet, cradling the vase.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:10 pm

Sayyid says nothing about Kasib and Ahmed's problems. He's done with lecturing the spoiled boy, and now there is a father figure to do the lecturing. He also doesn't console Ka'im, but the desert warrior and the gen never did get along, and Sayyid's hatred of genie-kind is not a secret. So the new Imam keeps his silence and waits for the more experienced healers to arrive.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 pm

Kasib just rolls his eyes as Ahmed leaves, he has no knowledge that Ahmed has helped at all. The man was gone during the fight, and the woman was suspected from the start. When her lab was opened, it was not Ahmed specifically and alone that found anything. Kasib cannot help to speak out, though, "And I have been willed this house, and I will call a harlot a harlot." He turns to his father, "I do apologize if this offends, but can I really be blamed. She has worked to ruin my life since I was a babe." He waves at Ahmed, "I would not expect someone with no sense of family or loyalty to understand." He turns back, bowing drammatically to Ahmed, "To Ahmed, I do thank you for your aid. Now please do not scold me like a child in /my/ father's house. If he wished to scold me, please, but you are far from the man to do so ..."

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 pm

Ahmed's face seethes as Kasib makes the comment about family and his hands ball into a fist. To all present it seems clear that he is ready to attack Kasib. "Kasib, the bond of salt I share with your father lasts one more day. After which I will make you pay for those words. Now I see why you treat those that save your life so badly, because it is worthless. You have until the Lions of Tomorrow are no longer needed to convince me otherwise you arrogant pig." Turning around he storms from the room.
Going to go find Jabir

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Loose Ends

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:22 pm

Bassam holds up a hand, "Enough! Everyone!" Mabruk starts laughing at the whole display. The master of the house glares at the woman, "You will not be laughing for long. Tie her up, we are going to do this the right way. The Qadi will judge her actions, the Law of the Grand Caliph will bring justice to my home."

** Time Warp **

For the next hour things are sort of a blur, several things happen. Notably two Imams of rather high status arrive with the Mamluks of the house, and instantly set to healing those in need, starting with those of highest status and working downward. This means that Bassam, Omar, Kasib, Sayyid and Ka'im are tended before Bashir, Rambad, and the Mamluks, but everyone recieves some healing, and everyone is feeling better.

The next thing that happens is Jabiir returns to the house, he bring news that the ship Bashir had procured from the group is waiting on them to depart. Bassam however refuses to let anyone leave until things are settled. He send Abu off, back to The Lucky Pahari with a sizeable bag of Dinar to litterally buy the group more time. The sambuk will sit in harbor awaiting the Lions of Tomorrow until they are ready, as long as Bassam keeps paying. Jabiir is brought up to speed on the situation with his companions and vice versa.

Everyone is cleaned up, healed to some degree, and Mabruk is taken into custody. Things happen rather fast after this, and Bassam shows some of that wit and ruthlessness that made him one of the richest men in Dhiliz. The group travels to the local Qadi, with Mabruk in tow.

** The Trial **

The trial is swift, and the results are nothing short of obvious. In a matter of three hours after the battle ended, Mabruk has been tried, convicted, and executed under the law of Dhiliz and the Grand Caliph for her actions in the Reehan house. During the trial, the full tale comes out...

Many years ago, the prosperous trader Bassam al-Reehan al-Dihlizi decided to take a second wife. Now, his first wife, Liana, was a kind and beautiful woman with a pleasant disposition. When Bassam asked her permission to marry again, Liana had little reason to disagree. As first wife, she was guaranteed supreme authority in the harim.

Liana was also very busy with their first child (named Ubadah then but Kasib now), whom Bassam had already formally recognized as his heir with the qadis in the Ivory Palace. Even at this young age, the child's resemblance to Bassam was remarkable, and Bassam took great pride in this. Visitors would delight in pointing out how the child's slender nose, arched brows, and even the beauty mark near the chin matched Bassam's features identically.

So Bassam brought a second wife, named Mabruk, into the harim. From all outward appearances, Mabruk was respectful and generous with Liana, though inwardly her heart burned with anger and jealousy toward the first wife. Mabruk was cunning enough to conceal her hatred, and for a time there was peace in Bassam's house, for the merchant was generous with his wives. Liana spent most of her allowance on treasures for the family's large villa, for as first wife, maintenance of the household was her responsibility. Mabruk, on the other hand, spent almost all of her fortune on books of sorcery and strange magical talismans.

A semblance of tranquillity settled on Bassam's household. Within a year, Mabruk quickly conceived and bore a healthy son named Omar. This only increased Mabruk's resentment of Liana, however, for the first wife's child was already Bassam's acknowledged heir.

Long after she had established herself as Liana's loyal friend and Bassam's faithful wife, Mabruk decided to put into motion her plan for gaining dominance in the merchant's household. The first obstacle to Mabruk's happiness was Liana's child.

Summoning the genie Saleh from a magic ring, she commanded him to dispose of the infant heir to Bassam's fortune. Now, the efreeti was not so dishonorable as to slay a helpless child in swaddling clothes. Instead, Saleh carried the infant to the distant land of Muluk, where Mabruk would never learn of the efreeti's disobedience. Unaware of Saleh's defiance, Mabruk meanwhile used her magical skills to make it appear as though slave traders had broken into the house at night and stolen the child. In the morning, the household erupted into chaos. The family urged the emir to launch a full-scale investigation into the slave traders, who seemed to be responsible. The inquest turned up nothing, for the child was no longer in the city, and Mabruk covertly used her sorcerous abilities to mislead the investigators.

Devastated after the loss of her child, Liana was plunged into depression. Mabruk secretly poisoned her rival's food, preventing her from conceiving another child. The poison slowly took its toll on Liana's health as well. Healers considered her maladies to be caused by despondency. Within a few months after her child's disappearance, Liana died one night in her sleep. Thus Mabruk became Batul's first wife and the infant Omar became the acknowledged heir to the merchant's considerable fortune.

That was until Kasib and the Lion of Tomorrow arrived. Mabruk, worried, and with good cause, that her son would lose the right to be the heir, ordere Saleh to finish what he started 20 some years ago and kill Kasib. The assasson on the street was Saleh, but reluctant once again, he purposfully failed in his task, whiping the poison from the arrows. With time running out Mabruk became desperate, and last night hunted the streets of Dhiliz to find an assassin to finish the job, Salt Bond or not. By morning she had done just that, but the result was not what she expected. Arriving this morning, she was shocked to find Kasib still alive at breakfast, and the rest you know all to well.

The day is not over, with the messy details of the trial out in the open, and Mabruk having suffered under swift justice, Bassam leads the group to a special visit with the emira.

** Visit with the Emira **

During the audiance with the emira, a close personal friend, he offically names Kasib the heir to the Reehan merchant fortune. He makes it clear that Kasib must give up his adventuring ways if he is to properly execute the duties required of him of this task. Omar is name as secondary heir now, but the younger brother has no desire to settle down here. After all the excitement, and drama his mother caused, he wishes for nothing more than to found his own adventuring company and travel the world like his half brother. He flatly refuses to take over any of the business at this point in his life. It remains then for Kasib to make his choice, a life of merchantile luxury here in Dhiliz, or to continue on to the next oasis with his companions.
I'm looking for just a post from Tet here, his choice. Effectively choosing to take over the family business means you'll have to retire Kasib. If you choose to continue as a Lion of Tomorrow, then other actions are to follow.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Loose Ends

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm

*** Before the Trial ***

To Ahmed Kasib shrugs, "I only say that you have no right to judge me in my own house." He nods, "If I offended you, I apologize. I am under a great deal of stress ..." The rawun is stopped by his father and sighs, letting the conversation go for the moment.

*** After the Trial ***

Kasib is torn. He knows not what his path should be. He has never been a strong fighter, and really has never been much account for anything. He has rubbed Jabiir the wrong way, though not because of anything Kasib did, and recently Ahmed has taken issue with him. He is tired of traveling, but he is devoted, at the very least.

He turns to his friend, or at least companions. "My friends. Lions of Tomorrow, and others." He bows, "Know that even if I have spoken impolitely, I regard you all highly. I am your friend. I hope you are the same to me." Kasib bows to everyone in one motion. "I shall leave it to you. If you wish me to aid you. I shall continue on. If you wish me to be your friend, here, in Dhiliz, than I shall be. My father's home, and my aid, will always be available to you ..."