1006 Adventures: Birthrights - Mistaken Identity

"The Seven Voyages of Sinbad,""Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves,""Aladdin and His Magic Lamp" -- these and other classics fill the pages of the Arabian Nights. Each story is told by a very wise and beautiful young woman called Scheherazade, who reveals them night after night to a king with a murderous heart. The first of the thousand-and-one tales is Scheherazade's own...the last may be yours. Join the adventure in a land of sultans, genies, and desert nomads as we explore the world of Zakhara, The Land of Fate. (A vWorld Expansion)

Run by the DM Vardaen.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: 1006 Adventures: Birthrights - Mistaken Identi

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:09 pm

Omar nods at Kasib when his older brother looks at him. The younger son of Bassam offers Kasib a smile and then sits on the other side of his father. Ormar's face lights up with pure excitment men Kasib mentions he's a Rawun Adventurer. Unable to restain himself the younger son blurts out, "A Rawun Adventurer! Oh My Liver how exciting! Please brother, tell us your tale!" The younger man is alight with excitement and genuine interest in his half-brother's tale of adventure. He even claps at the name of Rambad, pretending to take a few stabs with an invivible jambiya at an unseen ghul.

Bassam claps his hands, "Food, drink, the Bond of Salt for my son and his friend!" At this Mabruk speaks up, "My dear husband you know you should not over eat. The rich foods bother your stomach and inflame your condition. Your son would not wish for such a thing, would you Kasib?" The young looking middle aged woman looks at Kasib. She clearly wishes Kasib to forgo the offer of food. "Besides, we would not wish to spill anything on the new garbs for him?"

Rambad glances at Kasib with a suspicous eye and seats next to his friend.

The Bond of Salt
The salt bond epitomizes Zakharan hospitality and the mutual responsibilities of host and guest. When a guest ingests salt from a host's table, their bond becomes formal. Presumably, the salt remains in the guest's body for three days. Until those three days elapse, the host is responsible for the guest's welfare, By offering the salt, the host vows to protect the guest from harm for the duration of the salt bond.

The guest has his or her own obligations. By accepting the salt, a guest agrees not to bring harm to the host. Furthermore, a polite guest should leave with the coming of dawn if the family's stores appear to be lean. If the family protests heartily, the guest may stay for the entire duration of the salt bond. No matter what the host may proclaim, however, it is impolite for a guest to remain in another's house for more than three days. Thereafter the welcome is gone, no matter how much salt is consumed. Furthermore, a guest knows that it is impolite to ask for hospitality of any kind; he or she must wait for the host to offer it. Since it is the host's duty to do so, and it is an insult not to accept, a guest is rarely disappointed.

The rules of hospitality come to light in Scheherazade's famous tale, 'œAli Baba and the Forty Thieves.' The poor woodcutter Ali Baba discovers a
treasure trove in a magical cave, which belongs to a band of robbers. Ali Baba takes some of the treasure, which is clearly centuries old. The robber captain discovers Ali Baba's identity and vows to kill the daring woodcutter'€"but not before Ali Baba is severely punished. In the guise of a merchant, the robber goes to Ali Baba's modest home. The kindly woodcutter fails to recognize the robber and graciously offers a meal. The 'œmerchant' does not wish to accept. He claims to have special dietary needs. When Ali Baba insists, proclaiming that anything can be prepared, the robber feigns embarrassment and says he can eat no salt. Even this unscrupulous man'€"a thief and a murderer'€"will not violate the laws of hospitality. If he were to consume Ali Baba's salt, he would feel honor-bound not to harm the woodcutter or his family.

Ali Baba serves his guest unsalted meat. The robber chews the fare, and he schemes, imagining how he will humiliate and destroy his gracious host when the meal is done. Before his plan can take effect, a clever servant girl enters the room. She dances magnificently, bending to and fro while brandishing a scimitar. For the finale, she plunges the blade into the chest of the surprised robber.

The robber is dead. Ali Baba is mortified. He believes he must kill the girl as retribution, because the merchant was his guest. The girl hastily reveals the merchant's true identity, and explains how the robber purposely avoided the bond of salt, so that he was not really a guest after all. Everyone lives happily ever after (except the robber, of course). In another well-known yam, a thief is pillaging a home when he comes across a small box. Inside it is another little box, which contains a fine white powder. Thinking it's sugar, the thief touches it to his lips. To his horror, he discovers that it is salt! Immediately he leaves the house, taking nothing. Like the robber in the tale of Ali Baba, he is willing to steal. Yet he cannot bring himself to violate the bond of salt, even if the bond was forged by accident.

To most Zakharans, actual salt is not required for the bond of hospitality. Even guests who merely drink water or unsalted coffee can expect no harm from an honorable host.

A note, Kasib and Rambad while drinks were brought to them at the star by Noora, they never drank them. They went suspiciously missing during the tour of the house and nothing has since been provided.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:17 pm

Kasib looks up at Mabruk, "I would wish nothing ill to come of Bassam. But I think certainly we should complete the Bond of Salt! I would not be a very good guest if I did not." He nods and smiles to Omar, pleased the man actually seems interested. The rawun does not seem to give the woman any more attention. "You see, we have gotten ourselves into many adventures! The one I referred to, with the ghuls, was a horrible thing! There was a woman, very poor, and with no mourners. We knew of here, and wished she would have a good funeral so we went to attend. Unfortunately this was a trap! And the trap was we were to be dinner for the ghuls! Rambad here slew many of them, as did I, of course, but unfortunately one of the evil creatures bit off my finger!" Kasib jerks up his four fingered hand for affect.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:32 pm

Bassam agrees with Kasib, "Forget my touchy stomach Mabruk, bring us salted coffee, beef briskets, duck, cold water, sherbert, the works! I will feast with my son tonight. Sset the servants to decorate the halls, bring musicans, and empty the larders if we must. Tonight we feast the return of my son!"

Mabruk smiles demurly, "As you command my loving husband." She then slips from the room to alert the servants of the request.

Kasib tells a portion of a tale and Omar gasps in nieve shock at the dangers of adventurering life. "My Liver! Your finger was eaten by a Ghul?" Rambad grabs his belly and laughs, "No it was bitten off, but the Ghul found it to hard to chew and spit it out!" Rambad jokes with a smile on his face, and the thought a feast later in the night. He nudges Kasib, "Perhaps your father would care to hear tales of you adventures with out other friends?"

Omar just looks aghast at Rambad, while Bassam glances at Rambad. "Other friends?" The old man offers a few words here and there to servants, and begins to prepair for a large feast tonight in Kasib's honor.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:39 pm

"Of course!" Kasib nods with a smile, "There is Ka'im, a very kind soul, a Sha'ir, actually. With his gen, Orman. He is a bit crabby." He shrugs, "Then there is Sayyid. Talk about crabby. He is a desert guide. A good one, but he is a sour tart. And Jabiir. He's an oafish type. Goes crazy at times. A reformed barbarian. He smells terrible and can barely speak. He's almost an animal I tell you! But, I guess I like him alright ..." He pauses, "Oh, then Bashir, he's a Mystic of Nog? I cannot say I know what that means rightly, but he knows about this city at the very least. There is also Ahmed, who left here, I suppose." Kasib notices the man is not here for the first time. He does not say anything further regarding the man.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:49 pm

Bassam nods at the various names and Omar gives a few claps, "What a bunch of friends you have brother!" The younger son say enhusiastically. "Would sure love to meet them. A wild barbarian, a Mystic of Nog, a Sha'ir! Oh what grand adventures you must brother."

Bassam gives a wracking spasm of coughs suddenly. He begins to go pale from the effort. Omar isntantly turns and aids his father, offering a cloth, and rubbing his back. "Father you need to rest."

"Perhaps I do. Son...", he speaks to Kasib, "...gather your friends, I would know the sort of men that follow the leadership of my heir. I invite them all to tonight feast. I must rest before hand, I fear the trip from the Jungle estate to here has gotten some damp in my lungs. I will see you at the feast, and all your exotic friends." He stands with Omar's help.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:12 pm

Kasib frowns, "I shall gather them and return," he says, bowing. "Rest and regain your strength." He pats Omar on the shoulder and looks to Rambad. "I will return as soon as I can, hopefully before the sun falls over the city again." He prepares to take his leave immediately. If this man is his father or not, he is kind, and Kasib has taken a liking to him.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:48 pm

Rambad stands and bows to Bassam and Omar. "We shall not tarry, and I thank you for your hospitality Master Bassam Raheem." The Corsair is ready to leave in a moment and waits by the door.

Omar smiles up at his half-brother, still bedazzled by his adventurer tales. Bassam chokes down a cough and nods to Rambad then to Kasib. "We shall have a grand feast for your return my son. I eagerly await your return."

With that Kasib and Rambad hurry out of the house and the estate. It isn't until they two are outside that they realize Wali is following them. It seem the Mamluk guard plans on keeping watch on Kasib even outside the house.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:51 pm

Kasib leans over to Rambad, "I do not trust the wife," he says. "Something is more than it seems." He pauses, then sighs, "What do you think Rambad, do you think he could actually be my father?" He seems to remember something suddenly, "Oh! When I went upstairs. I saw a ghost! A ghost! I assume it was to have been Bassam's first wife. She saw me and came toward me, then disappeared ..."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:13 pm

Rambad has three questions to answer and he tries to reply in order as they are given. "I do not like her either, though she is fair to look on." He rubs his chin, a gotee growing there, "I think Kasib, that Fate plays many games. I would not doubt you are his son if we were to measure by looks alone. Perhaps we should ask him to sing for us, that would clear it up!" He is about to laugh when Kasib mentions the ghost. Rambad makes the sign to protect against the Evil Eye, "You saw her Hama?" A Hama, a restless spirit, is a creature that Kasib, Ka'im, and others encountered once, when raiding the Money Changer's Tomb. "That is an ill sign Kasib."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:26 pm

"I did!" He shakes his head, "It was in the room that we thought a harem." He was just trying to peak through the keyhole and the door flew open!" He shakes his head, "Why would her Hama remain? She must be troubled. I would guess that it all leads to the wife." He shrugs, "Though Omar seemed a nice sort. If she is up to something it does not appear he is involved." Kasib, so scared earlier, forgot to ward the Evil Eye, and goes about Removing Evil Eye from himself now, just in case.