1004 Adventures: Invitation to a Funeral

"The Seven Voyages of Sinbad,""Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves,""Aladdin and His Magic Lamp" -- these and other classics fill the pages of the Arabian Nights. Each story is told by a very wise and beautiful young woman called Scheherazade, who reveals them night after night to a king with a murderous heart. The first of the thousand-and-one tales is Scheherazade's own...the last may be yours. Join the adventure in a land of sultans, genies, and desert nomads as we explore the world of Zakhara, The Land of Fate. (A vWorld Expansion)

Run by the DM Vardaen.
Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Pilgrimage

Post by Bitom » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:30 am

Sayyid seems to take this as a cue and speaks up now that people seem ready to leave. "You will need Camels... one, at least for your food, water, and supplies." He looks at Kasib. "Possibly more if the rich boy doesn't intend to learn the ways of the desert. More still if you intend to ride instead of walk. You also might want to consider paying your guide, who is beginning to think that he might live longer if he travelled in the opposite direction as you, hoping that the genie will be re-tasked after he kills his intended targets."

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:33 pm

Ka'im nods his head at Abdalla's words. "For sure the Slayer Genie will be coming back. It has included our deaths in its task."

He then glances at Sayyid. "Once a Slayer Genie has set a task, it sees that task through, unless forcibly restrained."

He ponders for a few moment, noting that Abdalla is already packed, but has not packed while they were talking.

"What is it the guide asks for payment?"

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:54 pm

Sayyid seems to think for a moment, going over his memory of the region. "For a trip of nearly a month, including two mountain passages and arriving at a Destination that I can only hope is more well known than 'Somewhere in the Ghost Mountains.' Carrying with me a group of people, nearly all of which have expressed a distaste for the desert. Hounded by a creature with the desire to kill us all, such desire being continued unabated even if we complete our task..."

He rubs his chin, seeming to calculate these factors. "I believe 2500 Dinar seems fair, assuming you purchase food, water and mounts for yourselves."

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Ka'im's mouth drops at the mention of the wealth required for this journey.

"That is a steep payment." He pauses, considering. "A month trip. That is long. Quite long. Since I do not wish to remain here too much longer, what do you say to 500 dinar a week for the trip. 2000 Dinar?"

He glances sidelong at Kasib. "We shall still provide some camels and food and water. That will run quite a bit by itself."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:57 pm

'œ2500?' asks Kasib, looking around, 'œ2500!?!' The rawun shakes his head, 'œWe should simply be staying together for protection. That Slayer Genie will kill us all dead if we split up.' Kasib signs, 'œ2000?' he asks, looking over to Ka'im, 'œBah. I really do not care. We have to do something, and fast, I guess.' He nods to the Iman, 'œAs our grumpy friend here so clearly expressed. Let us get this over with. Do we have enough dinar for everything?'
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:35 am

Jabiir coughs at the cost presented by their would be guide. The reflects on his homelands. His face grows stony at his childhood teachings of the evil of these peoples, and what was done to them.
"The Guide asks a fair price, though his fate is now tied to ours i don't think he should profit from it. Be warned, my people of the Furrowed Mountians are as dangerous as you have heard, They do not welcome anyone, but perhaps i may be able to get us past them.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:18 pm

Sayyid snorts at that. "Should not profit from it? Would I be in any danger if not for you? No. Are the bunch of you strong enough to protect me from that danger? No. Does your plan do anything to eliminate that danger? No. I should demand a thousand Dinar 'profit' just for the risk to my life that YOU have caused, but no, instead I ask a reasonable price for my services.... services which you will be unable to find from anyone else once I do my honorable duty and inform the other guides of the death curse placed on you and anyone who accompanies you."

He stops his rant and looks at Ka'im. "You are the only one who seems to understand the reality before me. I will accept your offer instead of offering my services cheaply to a nice, large caravan with enough guards to maybe protect me when the slayer comes to claim me.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:51 am

Abdalla points out the door, "The man asks a fair enough price, and your Sha'ir has a good idea, 500 dinar per week, no point in paying extra if the man isn't any good." He glances ay Sayyid and scowls, "Right now lets move..." The cleric heads out of his chambers, traveling gear in hand, but his personal gear is not nearly enough for a long trip or for more than himself. You will need to buy gear for a long distance trip, tents, camels, food, and most of all water.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:23 am

Sayyid nods as the two men who seem to lead this expidition agree to his price and pushes off the wall. "For a group of this size, I think that a single large tent in the 'riders style would be best. Such a thing can be loaded onto a camel and house us all. And they have the advantage of providing some degree of shelter against sandstorm."

He continues on in the direction of the Bizarre, making suggestions and gathering information on what the party would need. He doesn't seem to have the intention of doing the purchasing for the party, though.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:30 am

Ka'im nods slightly, very surprised that his offer was not corrected by someone else, for he knows nothing in the way of haggling. A price he willingly pays to know all about the various geniekin.

"A camel for each of us would probably be a good idea too, right? What about pack mules? How will they fare? If they won't do well, we should probably sell the several that we have."