1005 Adventures: Pilgrimage

"The Seven Voyages of Sinbad,""Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves,""Aladdin and His Magic Lamp" -- these and other classics fill the pages of the Arabian Nights. Each story is told by a very wise and beautiful young woman called Scheherazade, who reveals them night after night to a king with a murderous heart. The first of the thousand-and-one tales is Scheherazade's own...the last may be yours. Join the adventure in a land of sultans, genies, and desert nomads as we explore the world of Zakhara, The Land of Fate. (A vWorld Expansion)

Run by the DM Vardaen.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Among the Beni Ordi al-Asfari

Post by TetNak » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:28 pm

Kasib stays away from the women, all women, in fact. This seems very strange, but he actually does it, maybe its the fact that getting caught here might prove much more deadly than Talv. Either way, he mills about, telling children tales and singing little songs before the group readies itself to leave.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Ka'im seems somewhat surprised that some items are brought before him from the packs of the camels.

He moves over towards the camels where Sayyid was working, carrying some of the load and dragging the other man back there before he takes a look at the stuff.

He doesn't bother to count the Dinar, after seeing what they are. Instead, he begins looking over the other items.
I forgot what these other items were... are these all spelled out in the OOC thread?

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:28 pm

Jabiir returns to his traveling routine, but is well aware he will be a fith wheel in these matters with Sayyid and the tribesman he might as well be his usual self so his skills don't go to waste. GE is up well before dawn and has his own camel ready for the trip.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Haunted Lands

Post by Vardaen » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:11 am

The Haunted Lands, Six Days Later...

The sun beats down on the traveling group. Hot, relentless, unforgiving, the sun burns away all moister, all relief, and all hope. Its has been six day now since the camp of the Beni Ordi al-Asfari was left behind. Six grueling days of 110 degree weather. Six freezing nights exposed in the dark desert sands. The frist few days were new and exciting for most of you, as desert travel isn't something you have ever done near Muluk. The mountains were hard, but there was relief there, treess, grass, shade. Here there is nothing but sand, sand and more sand.

Sayyid leads the group, the two scouts of the Beni Ordi al-Asfari are too inexperienced to know the various tricks of the desert, but they are natural compasses, and direct you from oasis to oasis at least. Some of the watering holes are nothing more than a few rocks where a spring, hardly a trickle rises up from the ground. The powers of Orman the Gen, and Sayyid's own natural tallents for calling on the Gods has provided water and relief in between the oasi.

You haven't seen another living soul around save for a few carrion birds in the distance. The group has done its best to travel at dawn and dusk, sleeping through the hottest times of the day, and the coldest parts of the night. Your camels are suffering, but not as much as you, and so you have some hope of reaching your goal.

Rambad is the worst off, the Corsair looks dehydrated and wrinkled badly from the sun. He has taken to wearing only a few light garments, giving up even his weapons except when sleeping.

Jabiir is rugged, and handles the pure fortitude required to power through this with silent determination.

Kasib, is Kasib. He whines for a while, but soon his voice is hoarse, and he is simply too tired and fatigued from the heat exhaustion to bother even whining. No songs, no zither, no joking, no true Kasib.

Ka'im seems to fare a bit better. The Sha'ir is able to use a few of his genie derived powers to create water, keep one or two of you cool during the day, and warm at night, but he is only one man, and can't provide for everyone and be ready incase of an attack as well.

The two youths are sitting on their camels points ahead, "Yes yes I see it too." The young men point up ahead and there half burried in the sand is a desert tortise. The men ride up, dismount and proceed to kill the reptile without much consideration. That night for dinner you eat well, fresh meat, but more importantly the desert turtle stores water in his shell, and you get extra water in you for the day. The shell itself also can be used to craft a Daraq, a buckler shield like the one that Kasib uses. The young men spend their time in camp, while not otherise busy, curing the shell and making it into a shield.
If you would like to include a post into the situation, please do.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: The Haunted Lands

Post by Bitom » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:31 am

Sayyid spends the first few days chiding his charges for things that no sane person would ever think of. He keeps covering the corsair back up to prevent water loss by the wind wicking his sweat away and he's constantly yelling at Kasib to keep his mouth shuit, not because he's sick of the whining youth's voice, but because opening one's mouth loses water more quickly. This advice, the guide doesn't seem to heed as he talks when he wants to. Then again, he doesn't seem to need water any more than the camels do. He hasn't had more than a mouthful or two to wet his mouth since the beginning of the trip. In fact, you can tell when he's going to start being an ass by watching for him to wet his mouth for speach. This may be hell, but it's a hell that Sayyid is well prepared to traverse and for the first time in the long trip, it becomes obvious why the group is paying him.

Today, while the caravan is camped for another cold night without fire (No fuel to make one) Sayyid brings up the inevitable. "My fee is due, and will be more dear to each without our Imam friend to add payment. Perhaps we should work some kind of deal."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:16 am

"Due?" asks Kasib, "Right now? What are you going to spend it on right now?" The rawun frowns, "Why not just wait until we get back to Muluk?" He nods and looks to Ka'im, "That seems to make the most sense to me, and I am very sensible, mind you."

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:46 am

Jabiir grunts, "Deal? I thought you had some brains in that skull Sayyid. You lure us out to the middle of the desert and then want to re-negotiate? You could just wait till we reach our destination or arrive somewhere you could use the coins."

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:00 pm

Sayyid sighs, ignoring Kasib completely. "No, jabiir. I don't want to renegotiate. I know that you have sufficient coin among you to pay my fee. I also know that some of you will have to take another loan from Ka'im in order to do so. Since you've decided to insult my intelligence and honor instead of listening to my offer, I'm tempted to just abandon my fee and leave you here, returning to pillage your corpses when Kasib gets you all killed with his 'sensible' actions. However, I will continue:"

The guide shifts himself to a more comfortable position. "My offer is this: I will take Abdallah's scimitar in lieu of further payment for the rest of this trip, and for the return trip as far as Talv, or to whatever enlightened city you decide to go to next." He looks at Kasib, "The return trip being NOT contracted for currently. In addition, from now until that time, I will be entitled to a share of whatever we come across or win, just as any of you."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:15 pm

Kasib shrugs, he does not seem to care, as the deal seems fine with him. He is not here for riches or coin, but instead the tale that their travels will spin. But more than anything, he just wants to go home, he does not even argue with the guide and leaves the talking, hopefully, up to Ka'im and not Jabiir.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Rambad sits on his camel, hot and tired. "Is this really the right spot for this? Its like 200 degrees out, and you are all bickering about money?" He uncorks a water skin and drinks down lots of it hearing that the Beni Ordi have found a turtle for both meat and water. "If you want my opinion, I say give him the sword. He's proven his worth in combat, and on the trail. Honestly, on ship, its those men denied booty that cause the most about of trouble, even if they are being paid." Rambad motions for Jabiir to hand over the sword, but thats just one man's opinion.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring