The Gambit & The Reckonning

A GURPS Original Fantasy. All theme/storylines © Jason Duff (TetNak).

Run by the GM TetNak.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

The Gambit & The Reckonning

Post by TetNak » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:08 am

Three days have passed since the party, lead by Martin, arrived at the Long Hall of the Tower of the Zenith.

The Tower of the Zenith is one of the three Towers of the Magi. This tower if the largest, housing hundreds of mages and magic users of all kinds. The tower even supports a town that has grown around it, this town is called Towerscale. Towerscale itself comprises of mostly Evol Barbarians. These are simple and relatively peaceful people that hunt, fish, and live off the land. Mixed into those people are those from all over Yeor, traders, skinners, and others attempting to make a profit on the largest of the Magi's towers.

The top floor of the tower is a great audience chamber. Today a great gathering takes place. Wizards from all nearby locations have been summoned since the arrival of those that set out from the Tower of Farsight have arrived.

Seated around a large stone table are some of those wizards. Master Longawoken is seated at the head of the table. Covered by a heavy brown cloak, the ancient man sits humbly waiting. Longawoken, so they say, forgot his name hundreds of years ago, and simply started going by Longawoken. The wizard holds much sway within the Magi.

To Longawoken's right sits Mizerbella, a wood elf, and a respected mage. To his left, Martin squirms about in his chair, talking non-stop as those around him seem to most ignore his ramblings.

Upon Martin's left is Lias and Loamas, human brothers, and masters of strange magiks known as the Seal. They are rarely seen near the towers themselves, and for years it was feared they had joined the Covern.

To their left resides Eds-Kine. Eds-Kine is a strange "creature". He has been called a "cat-man" by some. A term the mage frowns upon. His head appears that of a lion, and body is covered by fur, but still holds the relative look of a humanoid frame.

At the opposite end of the table is Ola-arbor. The halfling Ola-arbor is the headmaster of students here at the Tower of Zenith. The group has learnt over the last few days that Ola-arbor is Ola AND Damascus' father. This was spoken by Martin, so must simply assumed it nonsense.

The three others seated are the gnome Filus, the human Ulban, and the strange "shapshifter" Ventor, who currently posses the shape of a middle-aged human.

Chairs line the outer walls, filled with lower ranking mages and those of the group from the Tower of Farsight and those that joined their ranks.

Datu, Aethalion, Bohthin, Grez, Phillip, Gavran, and Ola all are present. Next to Ola is another halfing, abit very hairy, that sits peacefully.
Fencer, Rory, and Karzak's players are assumed to be at these seats as well. You reasons are your own. :)
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:28 am

No one is shocked when Martin starts the "meeting". The dwarf stands on his chair and starts waving his arms about frantically. "I am getting so bored I am about to fly ... fly away!" Longawoken actually smiles, which might seem a great suprise to everyone else, because the rest of the mage's expressions are entirely blank.

"Very well, Martin," says Ola-arbor, "We see your point. Enough have come. We may start." The old halfling stares toward Longawoken across the table.

Longawoken nods slowly, "Of course. There is no secret that the Witches' Pass has fallen to the evil desires of Baal. The dark god has broken his treaty to us and ..." The old man shrugs, "and has taken the Witches' Pass as his abode once more. We have sent couriers to warn our Druid friends who likely know the truth anyway."

After the short speech the old man looks worn and tired. Ola-arbor continues in his stead, "Weeks ago, Ptlethaleous sent a small group through the Witches' Pass on a mission to recover artifacts of great power that would break the reef."

Instantly, voices starts sounding across the room, hushed whispers of shock and surpise. Longawoken lifts a gnarled hand, bringing silence with it. Ola-arbor turns toward the group in question, "I am afraid to say this, but, this task was but a farce. A farce to test Baal and others. And now we have seen their true colors."

Ventor says, "And only Ola-arbor, Longawoken, and Ptlethaleous knew? Have we become an ologopoly?" The shapeshifter crosses his arms over his chest. Mizerbella adds, "The woods home many animals that are friends to us. Now Baal will infest the entire forest and either kill or drive them out."

"And better now than when Baal has his ancient powers at their height!" Longawoken stands, slamming a balled fist against the table. "Do not be naive. Our council agreed to a treaty with this ... god. His servants raise the dead and spread evil across our island. It was that council's decision that has brought THIS day upon us."

As Longawoken sits back down, Eds-Kine purs, "Iss it true about Metanbarlow?" The question is met by silence. Until broken by Ola-arbor nearly a minute later. "We do not know. There are reports of Metanbarlow moving as a wraith into the Thunder Cliffs. Hiding his secrets from us."

Lias starts, "If Metanbarlow has sided with Baal," to which Loamas finishes, "Then we are nearly doomed already."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:35 am

The meeting droans on for an eternity. Metanbarlow, an restless wizard of old, is suspected of having dealings with Baal. Metanbarlow is dead himself, from what everyone can gather, but still can directly effect those of the living world. This makes him ten times a powerful as Baal for he can challenge anyone on the entire island ... personally.

Finally, after hours, it is decided. The northern coast, known as the Thunder Cliffs, must be explored. There are rumors of Metanbarlow's tomb deep within its caves. His great silver pentant is to be recovered and returned to the Tower of Zenith. Then the brothers, Lias and Loamas will place a "seal" upon the item. These magics are all above everyone's understanding except to those at the table. However, the theory is that this would banish Metanbarlow from the physical world.

Martin is quick to suggest those of the small party be sent, if they will, to find the artifact. "Others," as Ola-arbor notes, "Would be welcome as well." The wizards start searching the faces of those along the outskirts of the chamber for the next heros in waiting.
Feel Free to Post

Fencer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fencer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:41 am

A small, one-legged halfling rises from his seat -- literally. He has been levitating calmly through the entire meeting, and indeed on his way into the room, a fact which shocks nobody who had previously met him. Now he ascends a foot until he is high enough to stand out, and raises his staff -- only thin and, if one looks closely, foldable -- for attention.

"I will go," he says simply. "I believe this is what I was called for. Peter will carry me, as he always does. Elessa will provide for the rest.

"We can be ready to leave at any time, although I would favor at least a couple of days for preparation."

He floats even higher, to clear the heads of even the tallest in the audience, then drifts over and down to an old, simply dressed mage and engages him in conversation.
I'm assuming the character sheet is OK as written.

This older mage is somebody who can cast the Bless spell, which I think all the party members should have on them when they leave.

Rory
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rory » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:39 am

As the Halfling floats by a newcomer near the back stands. At well over 7 feet tall he is among the largest men in the tower and, judging by his clothing, the poorest as well.

Zanos says, "I am Zanos and I will will go, if you would accept my service."

He brushes his dark hair away from his eyes as he looks around the room seeking approval, then stares at the halfing still floating in the air as if just now realizing what happened. Dressed as he is, he hardly seems like a hero or adventurer. This is the same man that you saw dancing, yelling and waving his arms in the yard while talking to Ola-arbor. Perhaps he will serve as a guard for the group.
For the mages in the group, you recognize his "dancing and yelling" as a very poor attempt at spellcasting.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:13 pm

Gavran the druid stands. His wounds have mended and he stands straight. "I supose I have angered the dark God enough, and i suppose a represenitive of the druid's needs to attend to this matter."

He is dressed plainly as is his custom his armor and weapons away in his room.

Karzak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karzak » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:12 am

A human male in leather armor stands up in the back. "Metanbarlow's tomb? Sounds good to me, I am Dread Morgan, and I will be happy to aid in this endeavor."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Non-Scene Post

Post by TetNak » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:46 am

Ola-arbor nods, but looks first to Gavran. "I am glad the Druids will be represented. You, Gavran, I welcome on this journey without hesitation."

Each of those at the table nod, accepting the obvious choice of Gavran to accompany the group north. There is no desention.

When Benedoc, the one legged halfling, requests that he be sent, Ola-arbor nods again. "Benedoc, is it?" There is no shock, as all of those trained of the Towers are known to the elders. "I presume you wish to lend your aid as a healer?" There is another round of nods for Benedoc, who should serve the Magi proud as a member of this group.

To Zanos, Lias speaks instead, and from a quick flash of displeasure from Ola-arbor, it is clear the man might speak out of place. "How did /he/ even get up here?" He sighs, "This man was taught magic without the Tower's permission. He has no rights to cast spells or do anything in our name!"

Longawoken shakes his head, and the weight of his words are heavy. "Lias. What has this man ever done to harm the Tower? He is no mage, but he does not need to represent the Magi in magic, but only in spirit. He represents free people of Yeor. That is enough for me." No one dares to speak out against Longawoken. Simply, Zanos is affored the opportunity by the old man's whim.

To "Dread Morgan" everyone simply stares. Lias, whose scorn still fumes, quips, "Who are you?" This is a good question, being the only one here without any sort of affiliation to the Magi.

Fencer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fencer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:21 am

Benedoc straightens himself to his full height such as it is, and nods to the group's leaders.

"Thank you. As long as people fight, there's a need for healers. But I hope I can serve as more than just a healer -- or have my examination scores been forgotten so soon?"

He quirks an eyebrow and smiles, to pull the sting of any apparent arrogance, and then makes direct eye contact with several of the group members.

"Anybody who is going, please come and see me in my rooms tonight or tomorrow, at your convenience. I have something for you that will aid us on our way. However, I will need this afternoon to prepare."

The robe-clad halfling floats around the room, greeting and conversing with friends or acquaintances of a dozen different races. Eventually, he floats out, deep in a tete a tete with an elderly, thin, equally simply clad human mage.
This is the guy, if you agree, from whom he will get his own Blessing. And then he cast the bones in a Divination, seeking guidance as to what other preparations if any should be made for the journey.

Rory
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rory » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:41 am

Zanos follows Benedoc out of the room, visibly happy to be included in this venture. He picks up a ragged half empty backpack and a staff as he leaves the room.

In the hallway he addresses Benedoc, "So, Benedoc is it? Do you think we'll get paid for this?"

Zanos spins his staff around as he walks. It is made from a dark wood with metal tips on the ends. As he turns the staff you can see the oil from his hands has worked into the staff creating visible "handholds."