Source Books

General L5R Information is located here. New products, character designs, basic history and information. Everyone is welcome to contribute.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Source Books

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:04 pm

So this thread is to talk about various sourcebooks, rulings, things we like, things we don't like, etc. Please feel free to converse about anything to do with the books themselves.
To start us off, has anyone looked at the Master of War? I bought it, but haven't had the time to really get into it beyond a light skim. I've been putting my reading time into the Dark Heresy book for 40K or some samurai novels I just got.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Source Books

Post by TetNak » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:00 pm

I haven't bought it yet, so I haven't seen anything from it yet.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Crab, Lion, Unicorn, but I haven't gotten into it yet. Could be prefect for your game however.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:31 pm

I should have it by Friday (Wednesday being Sweet Glorious Payday!)

Anyone here have Creatures of Rokugan 3rd Edition? It's the only book (except Masters of War) I don't have, and I'm not really sure how good it is.

That said, I am extremely looking forward to Prayers and Treasures and love the next CCG set is entitled Samurai Edition: BANZAI! :lol: It makes me think of Akira, does he have a card yet? :wink:

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:14 pm

I finally started looking through the Masters of War, it looks nice. Alot of fluf and glitter, which is great, but it also has plenty of good crunch. More Dojo stuff, more schools and things, expanded heritage tables, and better yet for us, expanded Battle Opportunity tables for each clan!

The Creature book is very nice, it has all the source material on the Naga and Ratlings, and is basicly their only real sourcebook. Plus it has lots of good things for Oni, spirits, Tsuno, and all those things non-human. I've already used it several times in Crimson Empire, most recently an Orochi. However, if you are't going to run a game, or aren't going to play a Ratling or a Naga, it might not be worth it to you. It clearly is a GM monster book at its core.

Bonzai! Intersting, its a reprint of the current leagal sets with a chance for those rares again. I guess I'll have to pick up some of them, like I have more more! Akira does not have a card, seeing as I'm a Unicorn Players (FOR THE KHAN!), playing a Lion going up against the Unicorn is really against my very nature! I do have a nice Lion deck together however, but still, its just not right! I was Moto Chen at Winter Court 2007 for the Khan's Sake, what am I doing playing a Deathseeker?

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:59 am

Masters of War arrived today (a day early! :D ).

So far, I like it. Not sure how useful it will be, but it's an enjoyable read. Especially the Lion section on Bushido and the differences of interpretations between the Akodo, Matsu, Ikoma and Kitsu. And each clan has a section where it details their tactics against another, which for a few short pages is rather good. (It really shows the different personality traits between clans.) If I was GM'ing a military themed campaign, i'd probably return to it time and time again - but it is very narrow in it's niche.

It also contains information for playing in different time periods. And the many, many extra dojo, paths and schools. I haven't yet got through them all, no kata mind you which I find a shame.

Vardaen: A Unicorn supporter? I'd never have figured it :lol: Personally the Phoenix command my loyalty, the humble and devoted Shiba.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:50 pm

I finally cracked my book open, and only glanced at the Lion and Unicorn stuff. I'm just reading it cover to cover so I'm in the Crab section for now. I like it, and for any military game, like 4 Winds, it does seem really usefull, espcially considering Lion vs Unicorn stuff!

Yup, I was even Moto Chen at the offical PbP Winter Court last year! FOR THE KHAN! Which is why playing against them is so hard to do! MadVlat is a Fire Chicken supporter as well AKA. Espcially the Shiba, so you guys have that in common...

I just got this image from EvilMonkey...Evil Monkey Ki-Rin Samurai!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:54 am

I got my book today and damn this is a cool book for this game! Lots of good stuff!
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:40 pm

My one complaint about the book so far is that its not the same size as the other suppliment books. Like its shorter than the Monster and the Lotus book. WHY would you make it a different size? Now if I line them up on my bookshelf they look funny and don't fit together. Grrr.

However, I am enjoying the content, and yes Tet, this is a great book for this game. I hope next battle to get a new Opportunity, and never see a Banner again!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:44 am

AEG just released the missing Dojos from the Master of War book. You can find the information here: http://www.l5r.com/rpg/masters-of-war-dojos/

Or I made a nice little PDF out of it and you can download it here:

Masters of War Dojos