Source Books

General L5R Information is located here. New products, character designs, basic history and information. Everyone is welcome to contribute.
akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Source Books

Post by akarmicanomaly » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:42 am

I'm still trying to figure out what I make of Dojos. I like Vassal Family's, but there's something about Dojo's that hasn't grabbed me so entirely :( .

The ones in Art of the Duel are good flavour wise, and knowing where your character was trained, who by and what style he favours is great character fodder - but the mechanics have so far struck me as a little unbalanced (some are much greater than others) and I've never played in a game where they were ever used.

A bit like the ancestor rules really.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:09 pm

I have been in games with the dojo, and they haven't seem to unbalance things, at least not in my experience, but that was back in the old edition when they had them too.

I've never been a fan of Ancesstors, just difficult in my eyes to GM for for some reason.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:28 am

Does anyone know what's up with Prayers and Treasures?

Amazon lists it as being released March 19th, but it isn't in stock there yet (Says 1 - 3 weeks). It also says its being published by Steve Jackson Games, which is kinda odd ...

Steve Jackson Games, for those that don't know, is the publisher of GURPS and other games.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:32 pm

Good question. V's and my supplier is looking into it. I personally have had it on pre-order since I found out about it. Its worse than waiting for a White Wolf publishing and they are notoriously sloooow to release.
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:51 am

I have picked up my Legend of the Burning Sands book, and my Masters of Court is on its way. I won't be getting Revised, I hear its not worth it.

Of course now I need to conisder how to use the LBS book in Crimson Empire.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Kijuro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kijuro » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:23 pm

Okay, so for 3E, I have the Core and 4W (I assume everyone here has both of those), as well as Masters of War and Masters of Court and Prayers and Treasures.

If anyone is playing characters from Crab, Crane, Lion, Scorpion, Spider or Unicorn and wants some info, let me know. Also, if you are playing any shugenja or any craftsman, let me know, as P&T has pretty good options for every clan and ronin. The paths that it added that were also featured in the School Update Project are more powerful within the book. Lastly, if you are any character and want some really, really sweet nemuranai, or weapons, such as the Masamune swords, let me know and I'll send you the stats.

On a side note, it is hard to find new L5R RPG material where I live. I have no access to 3ER, LBS, F&F, AotD, EE, CoR and MoM. How about anyone here?
Last edited by Kijuro on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kijuro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kijuro » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:40 pm

Oh, I've also got just about every single 1E book, too. That includes all of the Way of Books, except Shadowlands. I've got Otosan Uchi and Ryoko Owari. Missing two of the Hare Clan Trilogy and one book from each of the other adventure series. I've got all the Winter Court books.

For 2E i've got all of the Secrets of, Way of the Samurai, Daimyo, Ninja, and Thief.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:54 pm

My "Burning Sands" book has been shipped today. Since tomorrow's a holiday I hope to get it on Saturday and begin working on a character.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Kijuro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kijuro » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm hoping to get Vacant Throne when it finally comes out. Can anyone who has it tell me a bit about the Fifth Wind Tactitians, Masterminds and maybe the Ikoma Grappler School please? They just sound like schools I might be interested in using.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 10, 2011 2:06 am

I just recieved my 4th Ed Emerald Empire book, looks nice, just as great a art and editing as the other 2 books. As a bonus AEG sent me the GM SCreen and Adventure TOTALLY FREE! Along with 2 packs of cards for the CCG (Imperial Favor Poxy Cards -- which included one for each clan but no Lion (wierd!)).

So Thanks AEG for the free book!